Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:38:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mis-ticketing (Qn.6 5/11/2019)  (Read 7008 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2019, 17:45:00 »

Sometimes passengers are overcharged - for example by ticket machines offering a more expensive ticket on the front menu than deeper in the navigation, or by staff selling a peak ticket when an off peak suffices. Occasionally, customers realise they have paid more than necessary.  Example cases below.

a) Do you consider that selling a more expensive ticket than needed is "fair game" if the customer is happy to pay the higher price for no extra service? If not, what steps do you take / are you taking to reduce such mis-selling?

b) When someone is sold a ticket that's at a higher price than they need to pay, what mechanism do you suggest for them to get a refund of the difference if and when they realise, or do you suggest they put it down to experience?

c) Have you surveyed passengers to learn what proportion of them are mis-ticketed, including (and separating out) tickets which are valid for the journey, but more expensive than the customer needed?

Examples ...

* The Ticket Vending Machine at my local station offers a £74.60 off peak return to London on the front menu even at the weekend, when a super off peak at £55 is valid on all weekend trains. New users see "off peak" and think it means "cheapest ticket today" not even realising there's a hidden product called "super off peak"

* Rail Staff who are unfamiliar with the vagaries of off-peak and insist on selling the passenger a peak ticket instead.

* Asking Customer services for a refund and sending in the ticket, just to be told to go to the local station ... who (as you've no ticket) tell you to get in touch with customer services, or are unstaffed.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 17:47:47 »

a) Of course not. Where we can, we set up our self service machines to offer the cheapest fares available at that time of day and we “hide” peak fares from view when it would be wrong for a customer to purchase one.

b) If a customer takes their tickets to the Ticket Office, our colleagues will be able to advise them and adopt the refund claim for processing, should a refund be appropriate.

c) We are surveyed throughout the year by Rail Delivery group to make sure we offer the cheapest available fares to our customers. Last year we scored 100%, with no failures.

* The Ticket Vending Machine - Depending our which type of machine it is, the “quick selection” screens are set up to switch from Peak fares to off-peak fares at the right time of day. These screens are limited as to capacity and if customers are unsure, they can search all fares or (Where available) ask at the ticket office.

* Rail Staff who are unfamiliar with the vagaries of off peak and insist on selling the passenger a peak ticket instead - All colleagues that sell tickets go through a Retail training course that covers the use of the machine as well.  If you can provide a more specific example to prove the colleague was indeed “unfamiliar”, we will be happy to investigate further.

* Asking Customer services for a refund - Customer Services often refer customers back to the point of purchase for the refund to be paid but we should be returning the tickets if Customer Services cannot pay it out.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 17:56:28 »

And what about those who have a "booked train only" ticket, but find that the booked train is very overcrowded.
Are they allowed to use that ticket on the following service without any penalty ?

There are periodic complaints about overcrowding, with some alleging that the overcrowding is dangerous. The reply given on this forum has been that "customers have a choice whether or not to board" Not a very realistic choice if a substantial penalty is imposed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 18:05:56 »

A booked train only ticket will come with a seat reservation usually so a passenger with such a ticket should have a seat. If we had a particular issue such as a reduction in capacity I would expect us to allow tickets on a subsequent service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:43 »

a) Of course not. Where we can, we set up our self service machines to offer the cheapest fares available at that time of day and we “hide” peak fares from view when it would be wrong for a customer to purchase one.

I am relieved to read that, though there is no "of course" about it ... I can go into almost any supermarket and pick a can of branded product off a shelf at eye level where it's caught my attention, or save myself money if I realise that the shelves by my feet have a product that's almost identical but much cheaper.

"Where we can" is interesting

* The Ticket Vending Machine - Depending our which type of machine it is, the “quick selection” screens are set up to switch from Peak fares to off-peak fares at the right time of day. These screens are limited as to capacity and if customers are unsure, they can search all fares or (Where available) ask at the ticket office.

And where super off peak fares exist, they are not switched to.  Even at the weekend, and even at stations where not a single train to London falls into the "off peak" bracket.  Why are off peak ever offered on the front screen? Limited capacity maybe, but the choice of what's on there looks very much like an excuse to use the supermarket system.

"Searching all fares" assumes a knowledge to do so, and a knowledge of what you are then offered.  Identical text describes both off peak and super off peak tickets - about not being valid at peak times.  No help facility on the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) to press a button and speak to someone who knows ...

c) We are surveyed throughout the year by Rail Delivery group to make sure we offer the cheapest available fares to our customers. Last year we scored 100%, with no failures.

Congratulations ... but does "offer" in our TVM example mean that the cheapest available fare is available somewhere on the machine, rather than being obvious and the natural product to offer?  Reminds me a little bit of the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy - I'm afraid I've quoted it before:
“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

There was another post on this forum a week or two back that picked up an off-peak / super off-peak issue that was in the customer's favour ... and that was fixed (by GWR (Great Western Railway), I suspect) within days, even between normal fare change times.  The issue in this discussion is about an off-peak / super off-peak issue that was in the GWR's favour - wouldn't it be good if it too were to be fixed within days?  Not asking for more fares to be shown on the machine's front screen - just for the best value fare outside the peak, and not a fare that's not the cheapest for travel on a single London-bound service.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 15:16:02 »

I checked the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at Newton Abbot this morning. At 10.30am, the quick fares on offer were still the SOS and SOR/SDR fares to Paddington, Exeter and Plymouth. Most savvy pax will know of the cheaper fares, but I have anecdotal evidence of pax purchasing full price tickets and then having them refunded when enquiring at the ticket office what trains they can catch.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 17:15:24 »

What the MD says and what's actually happening on the ground are mutually exclusive.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 21:04:40 »

There was another post on this forum a week or two back that picked up an off-peak / super off-peak issue that was in the customer's favour ... and that was fixed (by GWR (Great Western Railway), I suspect) within days, even between normal fare change times.  The issue in this discussion is about an off-peak / super off-peak issue that was in the GWR's favour - wouldn't it be good if it too were to be fixed within days?  Not asking for more fares to be shown on the machine's front screen - just for the best value fare outside the peak, and not a fare that's not the cheapest for travel on a single London-bound service.

Indeed.

I know software changes are expensive (they shouldn't be, but are). I remember someone, perhaps ChrisB, saying that the machines only understand a binary peak/off-peak distinction, rather than different fares for different times of day.

But it would cost GWR approximately £notmuch to, right now, print out little posters for every affected ticket machine, saying "If you are travelling after n and returning before n, select 'Other Destinations', type your station name, and select 'Super Off Peak'."

I'm almost tempted to do it myself. I have a copy of GWR's corporate Glypha font hanging around somewhere. Wink
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 23:03:13 »

A booked train only ticket will come with a seat reservation usually so a passenger with such a ticket should have a seat. If we had a particular issue such as a reduction in capacity I would expect us to allow tickets on a subsequent service.

But in an overcrowded train, having a booked seat is of no use if you can't move down the train to get to it (as has happened to me several times).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 23:23:45 »

But in an overcrowded train, having a booked seat is of no use if you can't move down the train to get to it (as has happened to me several times).

Indeed, and on the occasion to which I refer it was an IET (Intercity Express Train) on which reservations don't work reliably, and it was half length, which means no reservations in any case.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 02:36:27 »

Indeed, and on the occasion to which I refer it was an IET (Intercity Express Train) on which reservations don't work reliably, and it was half length, which means no reservations in any case.

That would be covered by what Mark said then.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: