Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:55:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff to Holyhead service  (Read 23923 times)
Jez

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2008, 21:36:18 »

Going to be using this service in Mid April to travel from Cardiff-Chester, booked my tickets today and got really cheap tickets which I was happy about  Smiley

Just wondering if the 9.20am from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) is usually 175 or 158 train?  It seems to be mainly 158's from what ive seen recently at CDF.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 22:51:29 »

Should be a 175 - afaik it forms the 1320 off Holyhead which was a 175 earlier today.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 22:54:49 »

Dont count on it.

80% of the time they're 158's
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 23:25:27 »

Going to be using this service in Mid April to travel from Cardiff-Chester, booked my tickets today and got really cheap tickets which I was happy about  Smiley

Just wondering if the 9.20am from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) is usually 175 or 158 train?  It seems to be mainly 158's from what ive seen recently at CDF.

Tends to be 50/50

I use that line quite a lot (usually ludlow to shrewsbury/newport)

I dont mind either (and I am fussy passenger)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:08:26 »

On a point of order Mr Chairman, is Cardiff to Holyhead really a South Wales local journey?  Huh

I think not.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:10:54 »

On a point of order Mr Chairman, is Cardiff to Holyhead really a South Wales local journey?  Huh

I think not.

Does it really matter?

I think not!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:16:12 »

Sez you.  Smiley

I thought all the Holyheads were supposed to be 175s.  Weren't they acquired for that purpose and for the Manchester/Milford Haven run?  They aren't used for anything else AFAIK (as far as I know).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:49 »

I think not.

Does it really matter?

I think not!

Gents, it's always hard to know where to draw the line;  I'm quite happy with the forum discussing FGW (First Great Western) subjects, and other operator's services that start in / end in / go through the area FGW serves.

In some cases it's hard to know which "journey" board it should go in and 7 of the moderators (sitting today in Melksham) have all just agreed with me that at times it will mean a particular journey appears in a board who's title isn't quite right, but it's the best place for it.  (We really don't want to fragment the forum by having huge numbers of boards for very specific sections such as "Cardiff - Holyhead")

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 10:33:57 »

Quite right and of course it doesn't matter.

I was being humorous (I thought).  I'll go to Tesco's instead.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:34:50 »

Probabaly not but it was the most appropriate section to put it in IMO (in my opinion), out of the options available, since this service calls at Cardiff, Newport, Cwmbran, Pontypool & New Inn and Abergavenny which could be considered South Wales local stations.  Wink 

Also this journey is quite an interesting one as it goes from South Wales into England (Herefordshire, Shropshire), back into Wales (Wrexham area), back into England (Chester) and then into Wales again (North Wales.)

I realise this is a FGW (First Great Western) board but as I live in South Wales the majority of trains I use are ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) (and TBH (to be honest) I prefer ATW over FGW) so unless we can have an ATW coffee shop sub forum?  Grin
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:40:25 by Jez » Logged
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:56 »

Sez you.  Smiley

I thought all the Holyheads were supposed to be 175s.  Weren't they acquired for that purpose and for the Manchester/Milford Haven run?  They aren't used for anything else AFAIK (as far as I know).

Thats what I thought too. Although I do know the 175's are used on most if not all the  Manchester to North Wales services.  Also 90% of the West Wales-Manchester services are indeed 175's.  Did travel on a 158 from Cardiff on this service on Monday though so there are certainly still some 158's used.

Cardiff-Holyhead I wasnt so sure about as ive not used this service before, and when ive seen it depart from either Cardiff or Newport it has been a mixture of 175 and 158 but more so 158's I think so seems a bit more random than the Manchester to North/South Wales services.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:43:20 by Jez » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 14:16:16 »

Quite right and of course it doesn't matter.

I was being humorous (I thought).  I'll go to Tesco's instead.

Yeah ... but many a true word spoken in jest and you gave me an excellent and much appreciated chance to clarify.

Anything good on offer at Tesco today?   We had the second Christmas turkey we bought on 24th December over Easter ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 15:19:10 »

Should be a 175 - afaik it forms the 1320 off Holyhead which was a 175 earlier today.

Dont think the 9.20 from Cardiff will be the 13.20 back from Holyhead? According to my print out from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) the train wont get me into Chester until 12.28 and I think its at least another hour and half to Holyhead.   CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to Holyhead is one of ATW's longest journey's probabaly second to the Milford Haven/Carmarthen-Manchester services so really should get the best trains.

For the record though I do not mind 158's at all. They remind me of Wales and West and Wessex trains (cant think why  Wink) so I like them  Smiley  So really I wouldnt be bothered if it was a 175 or 158, I just wondered.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 17:16:51 »

I realise this is a FGW (First Great Western) board but as I live in South Wales the majority of trains I use are ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) (and TBH (to be honest) I prefer ATW over FGW) so unless we can have an ATW coffee shop sub forum?

I've been asked before about providing boards relating to other Train Operating Companies and I keep telling people there's no demand for it  Grin.    But seriously, the business I work in was started off because of three requests for a product that sounded far more outrageous than this, and I am fully aware of the need.

The "First Great Western Coffee Shop" has a clear demarkation at the edges of the frachise and that was something that was a very clear decision when we started up here - other such as railchat and commuterjunction and ticketcollector have gone wider.  They also have other approcaches / policies; we're for the passenger and for reasoned discussion to the exclusion of getting personal - they may (or may not) allow some of that, and are much more for staff and / or   enthusiasts.  And this was actually discussed by the majority of moderators earlier today. 

The overwhelming concensus is that we welcome posts that cover journeys by other operator's services that start / end / go through FGW served stations.   We're pretty much where we feel it's best for us to be, but we are happy to make tweaks and will be doing so.  Adding an ATW forum would then lead us to add an SWT (South West Trains) forum and a TFL (Transport for London) one perhaps - then an AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) one and so it would go. And we don't have the time / resources to diversify into that, not do we wish to dilute the current concentration to areas that, frankly, the current team may not know very well - sorry.

But I can offer four options.

* You are very welcome indeed to post on / in "South Wales journeys" (and I can take out the work local if you like for ATW matters.

* You are also welcome to post on our Save the Train Great Britain board, which is a newsreel of issues across britain that are of genertal interest

* You could set up your own ATW equivalent of this site, but be warned that's an awful lot of time being taken.

* You could approach me / my company and contacts to ask about setting up and/or hosting and/or advising on a similar site to this one but for ATW. This would require some sort of financing, and you would still need to do a lot of work on content and operation to have it take off.  We are helped by FGW having got themselves such a dreadful reputation and discontended customer base; ATW come higher in all the leagues that I have seen.

welshman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 19:09:16 »

Quote from: grahame
Anything good on offer at Tesco today?

I was going to say that was definitely off topic.  But it was a South Wales local journey.

No, they didn't.  I wanted some cod so I had to go to ASDA as well.  So I got soaked 4 times.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: