12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 13:24:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] "Mayflower"
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[63] Where have I been?
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[53] Death of another bus station?
[30] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff to Holyhead service  (Read 23960 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 21:22:54 »

And another comment from me, if I'm permitted. Having just tried the Highland Airways online booking system, the next working date on which there is availability for both the morning and evening flights is next Thursday, ie a week away.  So whilst that shows that the service is well used, it also shows that there will obviously be potential passengers who are turned away, even if they do wish to fly.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 22:14:32 »

According to the link below, services will be formed of up to six carriages ^ one first class carriage, one restaurant car (cooked breakfast ^50  Shocked) and four standard class vehicles.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2008/11/03/north-wales-to-cardiff-express-criticised-55578-22169617/

The service is being criticised for being too costly and too slow, apparently.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but is it still a 2 hourly service to Holyhead? A the moment we only have 1 train per hour.

I wonder if there will ever be first class on the Cardiff-Manchester services too.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 06:57:04 »

I wonder if there will ever be first class on the Cardiff-Manchester services too.
I would suggest that there would be a market for it if ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) did bring first class back to Cardiff-Manchester services.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 16:38:53 »

Believe First Class will only on the loco hauled stock and will be formed of an ageing mk2 coach.

Unless they do a comprehensive refurb the interiors will probably look similar to this (standard class interior will be similar to that featured on the forthcoming Taunton-cardiff loco hauled for FGW (First Great Western):
First Class http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p49462672.html
Standard http://rollingstock.fotopic.net/p49462643.html

Not exactly modern looking is it!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 16:46:49 »

No, but look at all those tables. And I bet the seats are comfortable too. I'd much rather have that on the London service than what we've got.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 20:38:28 »

Those coaches look nice! Although as they will be operated by ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), they'll get dirty (I don't think ATW hire cleaners!).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 09:56:06 »

It's very interesting how loco hauled is creeping back particularly on the longer distance non Inter City routes.

Holyhead Cardiff Shrewsbury London Now Tauton Bristol.

In a way it makes sense, if electrification is going to happen in  a few years. If you buy new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for such routes they won't get their full working life otr they'll spend most of their times under the wire.

Also coaches don't tend to break down as often as DMUs also they can refurbished several times. So you start a service with diesel loco and coaches, when the wires go up for part of the route you  put an electric loco on the front and change at the boundary. This was what BR (British Rail(ways)) did with he West Coast once the wires were up from Euston to Crewe everything was electric out of Euston with a loco change at Crewe if necessary.

The diesel IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) should be scrapped and sets of hauled coaches with DVT(resolve) and splitable foramtions ordered plus lots of wires. Then Padd Plymouth can be, electric loco plus 10 to Plymouth and diesel plus 5 in Cornwall. Which would cost 20 million for 10 coaches and two locos as opposed to 30 million for a 10 coach diesel IEP.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 17:15:43 »

Funny how slowly but surely loco haulage is making a comeback. Beats a cramped DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) on a long distance journey anyday and that includes Voyagers, Meridians and whatever else they are called.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 17:34:54 »

All very well, except that 'new' diesels will probably be approaching retirement before the wires reach Plymouth. Apart from government lack of will and arguable unsuitability of Plymouth as an electrification target, (which will keep the powers that be arguing for years), it took 11 years for the great cities of the north to be brought onto the sparks network from London and 18 for Glasgow to be connected.

In the interim, a few more LHS (Locomotive Hauled Stock) but with driving trailers rather than a dead loco on the end would IMO (in my opinion), be a decent solution.  Good for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 17:37:26 by G.Uard » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 19:20:58 »

In the interim, a few more LHS (Locomotive Hauled Stock) but with driving trailers rather than a dead loco on the end would IMO (in my opinion), be a decent solution.  Good for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))).
Yes I think its silly dragging a dead loco around all the time when there is an abundance of DVTs(resolve) lying idle. I think the reason that they are only just starting to use DVTs with diesel locos is that modifications to rolling stock are required.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 23:14:25 »

Lets get the 200 carriages out of Honeybourne before they get nicked.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 20:27:48 »

Can anyone tell me if the 0720 Cardiff to Holyhead is usually a 158 or 175?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 11:54:37 »

Believe all north-south services are booked for 175s.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 22:00:10 »

Cheers.

Ive noticed all West Wales-Manchester services are now 175 but I still spot 158's doing some of the Holyhead services.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 22:41:12 »

Believe all north-south services are booked for 175s.

Nope.

still an abundance of 158's on the service.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: