Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:00:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bi-directional signalling Patchway to Pilning  (Read 5161 times)
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2019, 18:56:46 »

I noticed today that the the lines between Patchway and Pilning are now signalled in both directions.  Not sure whether this extends in the other direction to Bristol Parkway.

I realise that this means, in principle, a westbound train could now call at Pilning - though finding a long enough gap between eastbound services to fit one in might be challenging.  And theoretically I suppose it means a train could now turn back at Patchway.  Some off-peak Weston to Bristol Parkway trains are going to be terminating at Filton in the new timetable, so could perhaps be extended to give Patchway 2 trains an hour.  But I expect there's a good reason why not...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 19:50:39 »

I realise that this means, in principle, a westbound train could now call at Pilning - though finding a long enough gap between eastbound services to fit one in might be challenging. 

You would need a gap of around 25 minutes in eastbound services. Realistically for resilience 30 minutes. Which with a 30 minute London - South Wales service and a 30 minute Cardiff - Bristol service doesn't fit.  Only on track is bidirectional, so you can't have an eastbound train climbing up to Patchway on the normally westbound line to pass the train making a Pilining call on its way out of Bristol.

Even if you upset the timetable occasionally, I don't think you could do it often enough to tip the service at Pilining over the "usable normal service" pivot.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:10:09 »

Both lines are bi-directionally signalled through the Severn Tunnel between Severn Tunnel Junction and Severn Tunnel East.  The Up Line only is bi-directionally signalled between Severn Tunnel East and Patchway.  No facilities at Patchway to reverse trains there, but they could run to Pilning wrong line and reverse back at Severn Tunnel East.

Edit to Add:  All commissioned on 04/01/2010
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:22:57 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:56:47 »

I noticed when I visited yesterday,that new overhead signals have been installed at the western end of the station .
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 20:05:41 »

Both lines are bi-directionally signalled through the Severn Tunnel between Severn Tunnel Junction and Severn Tunnel East.  The Up Line only is bi-directionally signalled between Severn Tunnel East and Patchway.  No facilities at Patchway to reverse trains there, but they could run to Pilning wrong line and reverse back at Severn Tunnel East.

At the west end of Patchway station a signal has recently appeared on the down line in the westbound direction.  Since there is not a crossover between there and Pilning, does that not imply the down line is also bidirectional now?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 20:10:45 »

At the west end of Patchway station a signal has recently appeared on the down line in the westbound direction.  Since there is not a crossover between there and Pilning, does that not imply the down line is also bidirectional now?

Did you mean the Up Line in the Down direction or Down line in the Up direction?  There has always been a signal (NT1003) on the Down line in the Down direction.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 21:37:46 »

Did you mean the Up Line in the Down direction or Down line in the Up direction?  There has always been a signal (NT1003) on the Down line in the Down direction.

Down line in the up direction.  Other side of the tracks to signal no 1536 I think.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 13:45:03 »

Thats new signal BL1538.  It will allow a Down train to reverse west of Patchway station back in the Up direction.  As far as I am aware there is no plan to make the Down Line fully reversible to/from Severn Tunnel East.  Not sure when its going to be commissioned though.  I'll try and find out from a few contacts.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 19:35:44 »

Thats new signal BL1538.  It will allow a Down train to reverse west of Patchway station back in the Up direction.  As far as I am aware there is no plan to make the Down Line fully reversible to/from Severn Tunnel East.  Not sure when its going to be commissioned though.  I'll try and find out from a few contacts.

Yes, that's the one - I checked its number today.  If it was just to provide a turnback facility, wouldn't they have put it at the east end of the station so that the train could stop at the platform?  I also wondered if it had any use in connection with the rebuilding of Gypsy Patch Bridge if single line working was needed for a while.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 21:28:27 »

Yes, that's the one - I checked its number today.  If it was just to provide a turnback facility, wouldn't they have put it at the east end of the station so that the train could stop at the platform?  I also wondered if it had any use in connection with the rebuilding of Gypsy Patch Bridge if single line working was needed for a while.

Thats because signals reading in the same direction on adjacent lines are normally located parallel to each other to avoid potential mis-reading issues.

I believe this facility is being added to provide an additional entrance/exit facility to the Hitachi IET (Intercity Express Train) depot, although its been on the Signalling Scheme Plan since 2013!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 22:34:20 »

I believe this facility is being added to provide an additional entrance/exit facility to the Hitachi IET (Intercity Express Train) depot, although its been on the Signalling Scheme Plan since 2013!

Ah - that begins to make sense of it. While close to Bristol, that depot has no direct route to or from it. Currently it always involves a reversal in Bristol Parkway and using the eastward connection. The second connection, to the north, is only usable if you can reverse on the line somewhere around Patchway.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:03:55 »

Ah - that begins to make sense of it. While close to Bristol, that depot has no direct route to or from it. Currently it always involves a reversal in Bristol Parkway and using the eastward connection. The second connection, to the north, is only usable if you can reverse on the line somewhere around Patchway.

Lesson No.1 when designing any depot, is always to have more than one diverse entrance/exit.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:22 »

Indeed, especially a large one like Stoke Gifford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:18 »

Or like the three exits from the new Reading depot - the country end one reversing at Tilehurst with a fixed red signal (T1779) on the down side of the Up Relief; similar to Pilning.

For many years in Blackpool - TonyK might well remember - there was a gloriously ramshackle single line that ran down the backstreets of town; an escape route should the main entrance to Rigby Road depot get blocked. Alas no more  Sad

2009 photo
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: