Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:16:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Insufficient capacity - Oldfield Park and Keynsham  (Read 7112 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 12, 2019, 18:13:53 »

From Bristol Live

Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) has apologised after train guards refused to let passengers board the service from Bath to Bristol.

Footage of the incident this morning (November 12) shows the two guards on board the train stopping commuters from getting on.

Despite protests from angry passengers that there was enough room, the guards refuse to stand aside.

"There was a row between guards and customers at Oldfield Park who were not allowed to get on the train because the guards said it was too full.

"Frankly they could have got more on.

"They also announced that the train was not going to stop at Keynsham because it's too full.

"On the same service yesterday (November 11), they made people wanting to go to Oldfield Park and Keynsham get off at Bath because the train was too full and it wasn't going to call at these stations."

What GWR said

GWR apologised for the inconvenience and added the safety of its passengers is its priority.

“We are very sorry that some customers were unable to board the 8.13am service from Oldfield Park to Bristol Temple Meads today," a spokesman said.

"The safety of our customers and staff is our priority and sometimes that may mean preventing people from boarding should there not be enough room.

"Customers with single or return tickets who were delayed by more than 15 minutes are entitled to a refund and we encourage them to get in touch.

The company added: “We do everything we can to run our services with the planned number of carriages, however, sometimes it is not always possible.

“With the introduction of Intercity Express Trains we are providing more than 6,000 more seats between Bath and Bristol every day than we did in November 2017; as well as increasing a number of the three-carriage trains (Portsmouth to Cardiff services) to five carriage.

"So for example – the preceding 8.01am service is formed of a nine or ten car Intercity Express Train, and there is another booked five-carriage train 12 minutes later."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 19:52:34 »

And here we have the exact s**t-storm that is caused by maintaining the party line "our staff are trained to refuse boarding if a train is overcrowded" response to many a complaint of overcrowding.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 21:47:47 »

What use is the IET (Intercity Express Train) service GWR (Great Western Railway) mentioned in its apology?

It doesn't call at Oldfield Park.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 22:32:34 »

What use is the IET (Intercity Express Train) service GWR (Great Western Railway) mentioned in its apology?

I wondered that too.  I suspect there may be some "lateral transfer" with Bath to Bristol passengers electing to move off the (over)crowded stoppers onto the now-more-spacious expresses.   However, that's probably hard to measure, limited in the numbers who change, and darned hard to sell to the people at Oldfield Park and Keynsham who see the trains with extra seats whizzing past them to be followed by a stopper with standing room only.

I confess to also thinking that the spin in this was interesting.
The company added: “We do everything we can to run our services with the planned number of carriages, however, sometimes it is not always possible.

Totally agree that even with an adequate buffer of trains set aside to stand in when things go wrong, there will always be occasions when trains are short formed or cancelled.  I'm not convinced, though, that there is an appropriate buffer and short trains run on too many occasions.  Hot spares at Westbury, Gloucester and Plymouth wouldn't solve every issue but would certainly help to make things a lot better, be it the end of 2 cars on summer Saturdays to Weymouth, or half length peak trains along the Avon Valley from Bath.   No doubt readers will wonder just where GWR would get these trains from, as 150s and 158s are like gold dust;  I suspect there may be a couple of stored HSTs (High Speed Train) that could be used as "Castles" and release 3 x 2 cars from other diagrams.  And, sure, it's a business case / decision; I'm sure that the staff on the ground do everything they can to run the services - but the text "within the business case set" (by GWR or DfT» (Department for Transport - about)?) should perhaps be added to complete the comment?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 00:01:01 »

To be fair to GWR (Great Western Railway), the IET (Intercity Express Train) service that was mentioned does call at Keynsham. That particular call from an 'intercity' service toward Bristol has been in the timetable for some years I believe.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:03 »

Provision is made at Oldfield Park for HSTs (High Speed Train) IETs (Intercity Express Train) to stop there when required if the scheduled local services are delayed, cancelled, shortformed etc.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 07:42:55 »

Provision is made at Oldfield Park for HSTs (High Speed Train) IETs (Intercity Express Train) to stop there when required if the scheduled local services are delayed, cancelled, shortformed etc.

It didn't happen yesterday. I went to catch an off peak train from Oldfield Park (10.11) to Temple Meads, and found it was cancelled when I got there. So I had to make my way to Bath Spa, 2 miles away, and catch the IET there. It didn't stop at either Oldfield Park or Keynsham, and I found that the 'cancelled' train was actually running, but just very late so not stopping at those two stations either.

The effect on me was that I had to make an extra 2 mile journey that I wasn't expecting to have to do; paid an extra fare (as the fare from Oldfield Park is cheaper) and arrived at my destination much later than I wanted to. Not a good service at all.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:52:56 »

More bad news for them this morning.
07:23 Warminster to Great Malvern due 10:31
07:23 Warminster to Great Malvern due 10:31 will no longer call at Oldfield Park and Keynsham.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 08:20:10 »

More bad news for them this morning.
07:23 Warminster to Great Malvern due 10:31 will no longer call at Oldfield Park and Keynsham.

but it does look like attention is being heeded ...

06:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 08:18 will call additionally at Oldfield Park.
This is due to overcrowding because an earlier train had fewer coaches than normal.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:04:48 »

I wonder whether short forms on those services are now happening because of Mark Hopwood's promise to look at reducing TransWilts cancellations. So instead of a unit failure meaning that service is cancelled, now it's a short form into Bristol.  (Though if the service was reduced from 3 to 2, that can't be the only reason, unless there was more jiggling of stock elsewhere.)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 09:32:21 »

I wonder whether short forms on those services are now happening because of Mark Hopwood's promise to look at reducing TransWilts cancellations. So instead of a unit failure meaning that service is cancelled, now it's a short form into Bristol.  (Though if the service was reduced from 3 to 2, that can't be the only reason, unless there was more jiggling of stock elsewhere.)

More likely this is a knock on from the cancellation of electrification to Oxford and the Thames branches, all those services are still be operated by 165/166 which would otherwise have been reallocated. It wouldn't surprise me if GWR (Great Western Railway) has the bare minimum of 143/150/158/165/166 they need to maintain a service and as soon as there is a cancellation already overcrowded trains become rammed, we have seen the same on the Didcot - Oxford services where people have been unable to board after a cancellation. This is anecdotal, but I also wonder whether 165/166 are also becoming more unreliable as I have seen a lot more cancellations recently due to train failures than I seem to remember from the past. Hopefully if the 769 ever get delivered the 165/166 that run on those services can be reallocated and the cancellations and overcrowding can be reduced.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 10:25:53 »

More likely this is a knock on from the cancellation of electrification to Oxford and the Thames branches, all those services are still be operated by 165/166 which would otherwise have been reallocated. It wouldn't surprise me if GWR (Great Western Railway) has the bare minimum of 143/150/158/165/166 they need to maintain a service and as soon as there is a cancellation already overcrowded trains become rammed, we have seen the same on the Didcot - Oxford services where people have been unable to board after a cancellation. This is anecdotal, but I also wonder whether 165/166 are also becoming more unreliable as I have seen a lot more cancellations recently due to train failures than I seem to remember from the past. Hopefully if the 769 ever get delivered the 165/166 that run on those services can be reallocated and the cancellations and overcrowding can be reduced.
I suspect that's the underlying cause, but was speculating that whereas up to now the first casualty would be the TW, now there's a different approach being taken.  Pure speculation though.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 20:08:33 »

In both 2018 and 2019 I had a 14-day all-line railrover, and often started out on the 0745 Chippenham to Bristol (0630 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) which was (and still is) booked to call at Keynsham.

On two occasions in that total four week period a Special Stop Order was issued for Oldfield Park because of delay/ cancellaton of another train booked to stop there.

Was an SSO issued in this case or were they really just talking about Keynsham?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 07:44:29 »

07:30 London Paddington to Penzance due 13:13
07:30 London Paddington to Penzance due 13:13 will call additionally at Oldfield Park and Keynsham.
This is due to a fault on a train in front of this one
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:03 »

Good news if anyone from Oldfield Park or Keynsham is heading to the SW today a direct service with no change required at Bristol.

Whilst on the subject of the 7.30 Paddington-Penzance that currently runs via Bristol. I dare say this train will be missed by Swindon, Chippenham and Bath passengers when it moves over to running on the Berks and Hants at the December timetable change but I understand the reason for it moving over to the faster route.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: