tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningDelayed
02:24 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:20:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Collision between Azuma and HST at Neville Hill, Leeds, 13/11/2019  (Read 6447 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2019, 02:39:23 »

Late yesterday evening a LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) (800109) and a LNER HST (High Speed Train) (43300) were involved in a moderately low speed collision outside Neville Hill Depot in Leeds. Several carriages of the Azuma were derailed in the collision. Neither train was in passenger service.

The location, I'm led to believe, is a stretch of track called the Down Hull Goods Loop which gives access to and from the depot. There is, I believe, permissive working on this stretch of line. The speed limit is 15mph.

https://twitter.com/stuartthomas/status/1194763023224918016?s=20

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:44:29 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:11:12 »

I think the HST (High Speed Train) cab came off better than the IET (Intercity Express Train) one although the latter is mostly 'for show' fibreglass......

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1295041497248086?view=permalink&id=2813644855387735
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:43:57 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:40 »

It's a bit of a mess for 15 mph.

Now, please!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 13:19:35 »

If they were both doing 15, closing speed would have been 30 though.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 13:51:07 »

The HST (High Speed Train) was, I believe, stationary.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 14:00:26 »

Well, yes, but that's the same as hitting a wall at 15 mph. 'Closing speeds' have more appeal to journalists than to physicists...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 14:39:16 »

I'm quite relieved there was a bit of a mess.  Better a mess at the front where the energy of a collision is designed to be absorbed, than that energy being felt further back where passengers might be sat.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 14:58:51 »

I'm quite relieved there was a bit of a mess.  Better a mess at the front where the energy of a collision is designed to be absorbed, than that energy being felt further back where passengers might be sat.

I agree, but am slightly alarmed by the derailment. I am, however, no expert.

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 15:11:06 »

That Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) is going to be out of action for quite some time, as for the HST (High Speed Train) it's time to say goodbye for good.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 15:25:27 »

I agree, but am slightly alarmed by the derailment. I am, however, no expert.
The 800 was still “snaking” across a couple of sets of points at the point of derailment.  I think the HST (High Speed Train) was basically on almost straight track.  I expect that affected the derailment?
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 15:34:06 »

Even on permissive-working stretches of track, you can't have trains travelling in opposite directions at the same time.  You can have train 1 moving, and approaching train 2, but train 2 has to be stationary.  If "Huddersfield Control" is implemented, train 2 mustn't have a movement authority AWAY from train 1 either.

The Down Hull Goods loop is used for stacking up trains to await their acceptance into Neville Hill depot.  It's only signalled for down-direction movements.  But from that picture, I would suggest that the coming-together occurred on the Neville Hill Depot Arrival line.  (The points visible next to the Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)'s 6th coach are where the Down Hull Goods Loop rejoins the Down Hull Main for trains not going into Neville Hill depot).  The track adjacent to the HST (High Speed Train) and Azuma is a depot Shunt Neck.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 15:47:48 »

We can see the Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)'s rear lights in the broken fibreglass, so it seems as if the HST (High Speed Train) ran into the back of the Azuma.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 16:06:16 »

We can see the Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)'s rear lights in the broken fibreglass, so it seems as if the HST (High Speed Train) ran into the back of the Azuma.
After an accident, it's standard practice to switch on every red light available.  So I wouldn't rely on that to determine direction.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 16:26:01 »

After an accident, it's standard practice to switch on every red light available.  So I wouldn't rely on that to determine direction.

Also, on these Hitachi trains the Tail Lights are illuminated automatically whenever the driver keys out of the train - unless coupled, or overridden by the Emergency Headlight Switch.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 18:14:46 »

Information posted elsewhere suggests both trains entered the depot line from the Leeds direction, first the HST (High Speed Train) as 5D24, followed by the IET (Intercity Express Train) as 5D29.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y31299/2019-11-13/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y31303/2019-11-13/detailed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: