Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:28:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stonehouse (Bristol Road) - re-opening of station?  (Read 7492 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2020, 10:22:31 »

From Stroud News

Petition to reopen Bristol Road railway station in Stonehouse

The station was on the Bristol and Gloucester railway between Haresfield and Frocester but closed during the Beeching Cuts in the 1960s. A petition has now been started to gain support from Gloucestershire County Council and to reopen it as Stroudwater Station.

Plans for a reopening, which would provide a direct link between the Stroud Valleys and Bristol, had been proposed in 2017.

The former station is also a short distance from the Stroudwater Navigation canal and could help boost tourism.

Stonehouse Town Council and Railfuture submitted a bid to the Department for Transport’s Restoring Your Railway Fund and the proposal was assessed as having potential.

In June, Stroud MP (Member of Parliament) Siobhan Baillie said the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was willing to work with her, as well as Stroud District Council and Stonehouse Town Council on the Bristol Road project.

Ms Baillie said the reopening of the station would be a huge boost to the area.

etc

The Petition is at https://glostext.gloucestershire.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=68

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 10:37:16 »

We’re at an interesting crossroads (or should that be crossrails?) - on the one hand you have plans and petitions for new or reinstated railway lines and stations.  On the other you have people predicting temporary or semi-permanent closure of lines and stations. 

I know which way I hope it goes!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:52 »

We’re at an interesting crossroads (or should that be crossrails?) - on the one hand you have plans and petitions for new or reinstated railway lines and stations.  On the other you have people predicting temporary or semi-permanent closure of lines and stations. 

Yes. There's a little nagging voice in my head saying that just as there was massive investment in the railways in the 2010's, so there was in the 1950's... and we all know what happened immediately after that...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 08:31:09 »

Yes. There's a little nagging voice in my head saying that just as there was massive investment in the railways in the 2010's, so there was in the 1950's... and we all know what happened immediately after that...

The indications from Government certainly at the moment is to continue investing in rail for the longer term. 

In terms of time scale this Covid-19 pandemic may last 3 or even 5 years, which over the next year or so there will be a return to some sort of normality, having said that work patterns therefore commute patterns have changed and are not likely to go back to the predicted rise they were a year ago.

What we may see is a more comfortable rail travel experience, the government will continue to put pressure on removing fossil fuel used in transport and, my prediction, in 10 years time all road vehicles using UK (United Kingdom) Motorway will have to have some form of driver free control

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 13:18:54 »

I understand that many want Stonehouse to have its current station on the Golden Valley line AND a station at Bristol Road.

Meanwhile, Gloucester (pop. 100k plus) and Cheltenham (pop. 100k plus) only have one station - one of which is disconnected from the mainline.

It would make much more sense to open a station in the Hunts Grove area of Gloucester - as development over in the south of the city has been quite significant as of recent. This could then serve connections from the Golden Valley line towards Bristol, possibly see a couple of CrossCountry services and prove a more cost-worthy project.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 14:23:44 »

Be nice to see a ticket machine on the London bound side at Stonehouse station,
heavens knows how much money is lost on Monday mornings and maybe other mornings with the trains being packed(pre-covid)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 14:46:43 »

I understand that many want Stonehouse to have its current station on the Golden Valley line AND a station at Bristol Road.

Meanwhile, Gloucester (pop. 100k plus) and Cheltenham (pop. 100k plus) only have one station - one of which is disconnected from the mainline.

It would make much more sense to open a station in the Hunts Grove area of Gloucester - as development over in the south of the city has been quite significant as of recent. This could then serve connections from the Golden Valley line towards Bristol, possibly see a couple of CrossCountry services and prove a more cost-worthy project.

A complex issue ... I would not like to come to any conclusion on the balance between the current and latent flows, and how new flows might develop with station, service and connections changes ... all laid on top of what can be practically provided.

For traffic from STROUD to Bristol, a new station at Bristol Road would do little - people would be unlikely to walk between the two stations.  A station somewhat north of Standish, also serving the south of Gloucester would make sense as an interchange for that flow, but on the other hand it would not provide the direct Stonehouse to Bristol service.   And has anyone mentioned the growth up the Stroud Valley at places like Chalford?   I offer no solution - I do point out to Charlie that they are on one main line - from South Wales to Birmingham and Nottingham, but agree that all the expresses passing towards the South West through the outskirts of the city, but not stopping, is frustrating.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 16:43:15 »

A complex issue ... I would not like to come to any conclusion on the balance between the current and latent flows, and how new flows might develop with station, service and connections changes ... all laid on top of what can be practically provided.

For traffic from STROUD to Bristol, a new station at Bristol Road would do little - people would be unlikely to walk between the two stations.  A station somewhat north of Standish, also serving the south of Gloucester would make sense as an interchange for that flow, but on the other hand it would not provide the direct Stonehouse to Bristol service.   And has anyone mentioned the growth up the Stroud Valley at places like Chalford?   I offer no solution - I do point out to Charlie that they are on one main line - from South Wales to Birmingham and Nottingham, but agree that all the expresses passing towards the South West through the outskirts of the city, but not stopping, is frustrating.

I guess you are right about Gloucester being on the mainline - just disconnected from CrossCountry services.

Obviously in the past there has been much conversation around Gloucester and it's railway station - with ideas surrounding a station near Elmbridge Court and one on the railway triangle.  As most of us probably know both proved to have complications.

The reason I would campaign for a station around the Hunts Road area of Gloucester is for three reasons:

- A: There has been significant housing development around this area in the past decade and would probably prove somewhat successful for commuters to Bristol and in the Swindon direction.

- B: Connections could be (quite drastically) be improved for those travelling from Stroud and Stonehouse who wish to travel towards Bristol or even Cheltenham. Leading into point C...

- C: There COULD be a case to call SOME CrossCountry services that (currently) travel non-stop between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa.

Obviously, it would cause many operational challenges. Would there be a case to call London-bound and services from London at a new station? Would there be a case to call CrossCountry services here? What effect would this have on journey times? Would services that reverse at Gloucester be reduced?

But it would certainly make more sense - in my opinion - than having a station for a fairly small-ish town that would not improve connections for people outside of the town.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 20:58:05 »

A few decades ago, when I lived roughly halfway between Stonehouse and Stroud, I often wished there was a Stonehouse Bristol Road station. And even back then there was sporadic talk of it being reopened. I think that was before Cam & Dursley opened. Now, a decent bus service from CDU (Cab Display Unit) to Stonehouse and Stroud would go some way to solving this north-south connectivity problem. (I don't know what buses there currently are and by 1994 when it opened, I'd both moved away and become motorised.) Now, I'd say a station in Chalford or possibly even Sapperton would be more beneficial overall to the Stroud area.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: