Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:44:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where were Finn and I today, 20th November 2019?  (Read 2785 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2019, 20:09:13 »

Out on GWR (Great Western Railway) trains today, as detailed in the catering thread elsewhere on the forum.

Finn wasn't allowed to come on the Pullman service, staying back at bobm's place. After collecting him we went for a stroll.

Where?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 21:01:54 »

Hmm... anywhere near a River Avon?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 21:12:31 »

Stones throw... (with a good arm, and over the train!)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 21:41:48 »

A little elementary detective work tell me you boarded a train today dogless for a substantial train ride with an accomplice from Swindon. I deduct from the picture supplied that you were sometime later reunited with a canine which suggests returning to Swindon.
RS's inspired river Avon discovery, to me, points to the Avon that flows to Bristol, that being the closest. So, to narrow the geography, Wiltshire?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 21:44:36 »

Stones throw... (with a good arm, and over the train!)

Suggests Avon, Cliff?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 21:47:42 »

So, to narrow the geography, Wiltshire?

Just. Although a nearby (former) canal took its name from another county...

Suggests Avon, Cliff?

Warm...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 22:00:19 »

I was going to ask the canal question, extant or resurgent. No need now. Wilts and Berks I presume.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 22:03:48 »

Hilperton/Holt way?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 22:06:30 »

I was going to ask the canal question, extant or resurgent. No need now. Wilts and Berks I presume.

Sorry, no. Wrong canal.

I perhaps should add that there was a drive from my dining accomplice's place of residence before this walk. I do like to break up my motoring with comfort breaks...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 22:21:10 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 22:42:55 »

I'm thinking the canal might be the Somerset Coal Canal, suggesting that you were somewhere near Dundas (or as my autocorrect nearly had it, Dundalk)...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 22:45:24 »

Sorry, no. Wrong canal. P

Somersetshire (sic) Coal Canal, so somewhere near Dundas Aqueduct?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 22:47:46 »

White rabbits.

Limpley Stoke?

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 22:53:11 »

Much scratching of head going on. The canal bit had thrown me but then I remembered that I'm a member of the Somersetshire Coal Canal Society and the Limpley Stoke Valley springs to mind.

Edit: Looks like I was just beaten to it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 23:04:31 »

We're there. I'll give it as a three way tie between Jonty Mort, johnneyw and Red Squirrel. With grahame mentioned in dispatches. Finn in the opening photo was by the former Limpley Stoke station, which is near Dundalk Dundas Aquaduct.

I've passed this former station (now in private hands) on trains through the Avon Valley many times, but never seen what it looks like from the village side. Being above the road through the village there's not much to see.

(Back side of running in board and former station building)

After taking that photo, Finn and I retired to the delightfully named Brassknocker Basin, which is the only remaining navigable stretch of the Somersetshire Coal Canal, just outside Limpley Stoke. This stretch of water is now an extended mooring off the main line of the Kennet & Avon Canal. On this canal cul-de-sac is a very nice cafe - The Angelfish - where I had my coffee break on the drive home from Swindon to Templecombe.

(In the distance, beyond the shallow arch canopy over the water, is where the Somersetshire Coal Canal continued under the A36 into Somerset proper. Now blocked off.)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 23:31:12 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 23:17:35 »

You may (all) know this already, but I would recommend a walk along the old Combe Hay flight of locks on the Somersetshire Coal Canal. As a wizened old waterway hack there are not many places that have surprised me... but that was one. There's a remarkable amount surviving for a canal that hasn't been navigable since c. 1900.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: