09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:38:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff Parkway?  (Read 10336 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:49 »

A new £120 million park and ride station in Wales' capital will run four services to Bristol every hour.

Under the proposals for the ambitious scheme , bosses hope to launch 12 train services an hour – 24 in and out – including two to London and four to Temple Meads - that's one every 15 minutes to our city.

Cardiff Parkway is expected to welcome more than 800,000 passengers and aims to have significant impact on reducing car congestion, reports Wales Online.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/first-look-120m-new-cardiff-3560012

First I've heard of it. How real is this? Well:
Subject to planning, work on both projects is expected to start next year, with the station and a first phase of 300,000 sq ft of 900,000 sq ft of development at Cardiff Hendre Lakes, completed in 2023.

Planning permission to construction site in a year sounds ambitious to me. But does this mean it's gone through GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects)?
“Our plans are at a stage where we want to hear from people in the local community about how the project could benefit them.
and
A formal consultation will be launched early next year.

So I think that's a no.

But that's just a report in the Bristol Post. And it does say it has the support of the Welsh Government, FWIW (for what it's worth). So how real is this and what else is known about it?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 13:17:40 »

It has been in the planning for a couple of years, and is certainly not "new news".  But the scale seems to be growing, particularly all the development around it. As does the cost. There's a claim that commuters from Llanrumney and St Mellons will be able to get a train in to Cardiff in 7 minutes, instead of 50 minutes by bus.  But once all that development is built, I wonder how long they will take to get to the station, park and walk to the platforms. And how much more it will cost.   
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 14:15:40 »

So it is "A Thing" then, just I haven't heard of it. Or in fact if it's to be in St Mellons I have heard talk of it but not under the Parkway name. Thanks.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 22:39:33 »

Living in Bristol and immensely enjoying my explorations of Cardiff by rail, I've noticed the comparative paucity of stations on the eastern side of the city. This should go some way to give the local network some balance and be a boost to the nascent South Wales Metro. Good news and from what I've read, another sort of example of JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version))?
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 23:22:06 »

If it does get built, I hope it doesn’t get called Cardiff Parkway. The announcements at Paddington would sound ridiculous.

“Calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway, Swindon, Bristol Parkway, Newport, Cardiff Parkway, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath and Swansea.”

Way too many parkways. Call it Cardiff East or St. Mellons.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 06:45:33 »

I agree. I also feel that both Didcot and Port Talbot should lose the Parkway name as they are within their respective towns unlike the other out of town stations.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 17:40:25 »

From Wales Online

Plans for £120m new parkway train station in Cardiff on hold as Welsh Government calls in decision

The Cardiff Parkway Station and associated Hendre Lakes business park now has to wait for the Welsh Government's decision

Hopes of building a new £120m mainline train station on the outskirts of Cardiff are on hold after the Welsh Government called in the project. The decision means that final planning approval must now wait for the recommendation of an inspector appointed to assess the project. Welsh Government ministers will make the final decision.

The call in comes despite the Welsh Government owning a 10% stake in the Cardiff Parkway station development and associated Hendre Lakes business park. The plans were given planning approval by Cardiff Council back in April with the hope that work could start almost immediately.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: