tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningDelayed
02:24 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:03:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The fate of local trains - dodging the Paddington bullets  (Read 3212 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:34:08 »

Running express train out of Paddington is rather akin to spraying bullets out of a gun - to (or towards) Hereford, Cheltenham Spa, Swansea, Weston-super-Mare and Penzance. Local east - west trains must nip in smartish behind a bullet and get out of the way before the next bullet hits.  Local north - south trains must dodge bullets as they come flying past, nipping in and out where they can.

Come 15th December, the rate of fire of bullets is to be stepped up, and the bullets are going to travel faster too.  It's the biggest timetable change since 1976, and virtually every bullet will be retimed.  Money has been invested in making the trains faster and more frequent, and London is the target. Once the bullets were timetabled clock face and fast, the schedulers had the job of fitting in the second class trains as best they can to (a) avoid clashing with the new bullet times, (b) plan acceptably to Network Rail (c) meet their government contract (d) work in such a way that freight trains can get through and their own trains can get to servicing points as necessary (e) do all of the preceding in the best economic way for their shareholders and (f) provide a service tuned to customer needs.  It's a tall order and I have a huge respect for the transport planners and timetablers who have been working on this for years!

As I write (prior to the changes) there are a number of strange-looking trains around.  Some are the result of history and fulfil little purpose, others have developed over many years and meet specific requirements.  And a number of those trains have developed a regular and faithful customer base - "provide it and people will use it" has oft been said, and unless it's really weird, if it's been provided people have built up and used the service.   Come 15th December, much of this local tuning is being swept away ... plans were to sweep even cleaner, but consultation with a number of informed community members on Monday to Friday services (only) has resulted in the majority - but not all - of our concerns being addressed better than they were in the first draft.  Saturday and Sunday, we have to take what we're given (and, oh dear, there are some fixes needed)

So, great from mid December it will be great for anyone travelling to or from London.  For those at the outer reaches of the bullets – where they have thinned out - there are some notable improvements.  In between, we're getting what can be fitted in, on an increasingly crowded railway.  Where it mains poorly timed trains, missed connections, and even trains stopping one station short of  major interchange, that's happening.  Concentration has been on a clean run for the bullets and train planners have had limited time (and low priority) to fix other issues for passengers.

Service improvements many come incrementally, but at times they come in leaps.  We do have the opportunity for December 2020 to take some steps forward once we see how the new services bed in, and with the train planners work load on the expresses being reduced for the next cycle. And with "DA3" - the next franchise period due to start on 1st April 2020 - there is a chance that the spec has been altered to be more suitable for the future.  We know that First put a bid in in June, and they're waiting to hear from the Department for Transport whether it's being accepted or negotiated.   Yes, I know they've had it for 5 months and there's just 4 months to go.

So – summary – we get what we're given in local services from 15th December.  Not ideal, some steps backward, some forward. Far better than it might have been and was originally proposed.  And looking forward to the next cycle which may offer the opportunity to put train planner resources into amending the times and requesting the government spec for the mutual benefit of passengers, of the train operators, and the taxpayer.

Please excuse the awful graphic .... another story!

For Coffee Shop regulars - little new above - bringing the story together for new readers!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 13:44:18 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 11:37:35 »

That'd be 'fate', Graham.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:46:06 »

Can't help feeling that major problems are a "fait" accompli.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:48 »

When I saw the thread title, I thought GWR (Great Western Railway) were putting the flags and bunting out........ Roll Eyes
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 13:45:08 »

That was one of grahame's better ones... I have fixed it.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 13:47:19 »

As I write (prior to the changes) there are a number of strange-looking trains around...

Well the one in the picture looks particularly odd... is it Japanese?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 16:05:06 »

As I write (prior to the changes) there are a number of strange-looking trains around...

Well the one in the picture looks particularly odd... is it Japanese?
Well didn't the bullet train start in Japan Smiley
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 17:12:11 »

Can't help feeling that major problems are a "fait" accompli.

A new timetable brings with it considerable challenges even if everything else works correctly.
Insufficient staff to reliably operate the present timetable, unreliable infrastructure, and trains that have yet to achieve the expected levels of availability, more or less promises major problems.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 18:30:51 »

The infrastructure and trains have been behaving pretty well recently, the major issue for me is crew availability and whether a timetable that works on paper will work in practice.

A launch in December means a risk in terms of crew availability (I’m expecting lots of cancellations) but that should quickly diminish in the new year, but potentially rear its ugly head again next Summer - especially on Sunday’s.  The workability of the new timetable remains largely an unknown to everyone - fingers will be crossed.

Everyone is expecting a bit of a dip initially, even the MD, but I’m sure everyone on here will be hoping it goes well after the settling in period?  Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 19:51:26 »

When I saw the thread title, I thought GWR (Great Western Railway) were putting the flags and bunting out........ Roll Eyes
It's still fete in the "most liked" list. Makes me think Melksham carnival must be a bloodthirsty event!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 23:32:12 »

It's still fete in the "most liked" list. Makes me think Melksham carnival must be a bloodthirsty event!

Flushing through subject lines - even for an admin - is a compound manoeuvre.  And me thinks I leave it undone as the lighter style discussion here (based on what was an error in titling by me this morning) helps draw attention to (and a smile from) the very serious topic of "what is the fate of local trains sharing lines with the increasing London expresses?", and the sad answer "they are somewhat squeezed and compromised".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 17:07:40 »

Flushing through subject lines - even for an admin - is a compound manoeuvre.  And me thinks I leave it undone as the lighter style discussion here (based on what was an error in titling by me this morning) helps draw attention to (and a smile from) the very serious topic of "what is the fate of local trains sharing lines with the increasing London expresses?", and the sad answer "they are somewhat squeezed and compromised".
Let's hope that efforts to improve the situation aren't just titling at windmills. Erm, I mean tilting! Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 08:32:17 »

Nominations for Don Quixote and Sancho Panza?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: