Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:17:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How a 15 minute delay causes a 75 minute late arrival  (Read 8714 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:21:09 »

09:18 Melksham to Taunton, change at Westbury and Castle Cary ... due into Taunton at 10:49 for an 11:15 (TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) board) meeting.  Connection at Castle Cary looked like it was going to miss as the train from Westbury was expected to be about quarter of an hour late.  Advise from one staff member at Westbury was that the connecting train was also running late and the connection should make.  However, the train manager of the Yeovil train was actively telling people headed west to travel via Bristol, and I took that advise arriving into Taunton just after midday.

Watching the display screen at Westbury (the "almost open train times" display) confirmed the advise I took to travel via Bristol was correct, and the train manager on the delayed train had assured my that I would be OK doing this, even though overall my final route was not one permitted by the routing guide.

Ho hum ... delay repay submitted, more in principle than anything. The more people who claim, the more the rail industry takes note of reliabiity of connections?  No train over the 15 minute late hurdle in itself, and yet my overall delay was 75 minutes.

Asides ...

a) Yes, I could have planned defensive scheduling and caught the previous train which would have been 06:38 rather than 09:18.

b) Notable absence of anyone to offer advise at Westbury - lots of customers, noone doing customer care.  Enquiry desk unstaffed.

c) For long distance trains, a two hour frequency may be adequate.  For shorter journeys, any connection failure adds a disproportionate time to the journey. We really need a revision (even from what starts in December) between Westbury and Taunton - up to hourly and sorted out in associaition with the Bedwyns.  We also need something between the 06:38 and 09:18 from Melksham (06:36 and 09:09 from December)

d) The 10:10 (scheduled) 10:21 (actual) Westbury to Bristol train was hideously overcrowded ... see picture.  Looking forward to 5 car trains promised with the new timetable, except I sense that the promise has been overtaken and the new promise is "next spring or summer" and it's now "most" not "all" services increasing to 5 cars.

e) Just a reminder - Repayment of a fare does not compensate for consequences such as a missed meeting ... as it happens, I know the group well and walking in 45 minutes late (which followed a messaged apology) was AOK.  Today I have a meeting in Birmingham - on my way to be there well ahead of time and I'll find somewhere to get a coffee while I wait.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 14:28:13 »

O/T I know, but in the second photo in the post preceding this, what does the red light above the door signify ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 15:18:23 »

a) Yes, I could have planned defensive scheduling and caught the previous train which would have been 06:38 rather than 09:18.

Another reason why more frequent trains are better?  Catching a train 2 hr 40mins earlier would be just stupid, unless you had an appointment so important that you couldn't possibly miss it (flight to Australia, wedding, funeral, ticket for the Wimbledon finals etc). But if the previous train is 1 hr before, or even better 30 mins before, then it becomes a much more sensible option.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who, without a sensible defensive scheduling choice, simply decide that it's not worth the risk if they can drive instead.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 15:24:08 »

O/T I know, but in the second photo in the post preceding this, what does the red light above the door signify ?

Looks like reflection from a signal to me
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 16:13:47 »

Looks like reflection from a signal to me

Toilet our of order  Grin

Edit to add highly zoomed picture
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 17:30:07 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 18:03:25 »

Thanks for that info.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 19:01:49 »

Another reason why more frequent trains are better?  Catching a train 2 hr 40mins earlier would be just stupid, unless you had an appointment so important that you couldn't possibly miss it (flight to Australia, wedding, funeral, ticket for the Wimbledon finals etc). But if the previous train is 1 hr before, or even better 30 mins before, then it becomes a much more sensible option.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who, without a sensible defensive scheduling choice, simply decide that it's not worth the risk if they can drive instead.

The problem of using long distance trains for short distance journeys!  Perhaps I am "just stupid" sometimes ... but today (for a 1 p.m. meeting) I arrived in Birmingham shortly around 10:30, then grabbed a coffee and burger and worked on my laptop. No huge difference whether I do work at home or near-destination and in risk assessing today, I judged that a failure to be on time would be "very embarrassing" whereas yesterdays was "friends will understand if it goes pear shaped".

I know my setup is an unusual one. 

Yes, for a journey of an hour and a half, an inter service gap of over 150 minutes is nuts!

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 20:02:33 »

I think, if it can be accommodated, an hourly service (extension of the Bedwyn?) will make a world of difference to communities along the line. Much as the new timetable favours london, I don't think the lesser services are asking for much of an improvement to make them usable, an hourly clockface timetable makes the world of difference. From the point of view of Newbury, an hourly service West to Westbury and Taunton would open up a world of opportunity, even if a wait was required somewhere. Make the connection viable and people will decide to use the train.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:09:58 »

I bought my tickets from GWR (Great Western Railway)'s web site and collected them from a GWR station, which I left of a GWR train intending to arrive in Taunton on another GWR train after a couple of changes. But I was 75 minutes late in arriving, so put in a delay repay claim.

It has been rejected.  (That's the headline in their email)

However, GWR do get two marks out of three.

Firstly, the response was good and prompt.

Secondly, it's not an outright "you have no claim" but rather to tell me that the train that was late and caused the connection failure was run by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and so my claim should be against them - with a note that they have passed it on.

As a "normal" customer (members may dispute that), I'm not particularly worried about who's running my individual (and intermediate) train in a series - I don't say "I am catching the GWR train" but "I am catching the train", and really the rail industry should have a pooled scheme.   Somewhat there with GWR passing this one on, by "REJECTED" - not really ... "PASSED ON" and you will hear from XXXX better.  "We are checking with other train operators involved and we will let you know when we hear from them" would be best.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 12:36:07 »

I arrived in Birmingham shortly around 10:30, then grabbed a coffee...

Just a point of order Graham - why do you keep on grabbing these coffees? Wouldn't it be more polite to just buy one like everybody else? Wink
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 13:46:07 »

In this enlightened day and age, I'm just glad it's only coffees that grahame is grabbing.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 19:12:00 »

In this enlightened day and age, I'm just glad it's only coffees that grahame is grabbing.

Read his post again. He grabbed a burger as well. Some friendly advice Graham - be careful if you visit Calais...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 20:09:13 »

Just a point of order Graham - why do you keep on grabbing these coffees? Wouldn't it be more polite to just buy one like everybody else? Wink

They are indeed bought - however a failure to grab in addition to buying would leave the counter cluttered and not be sustainable for the outlet from which the buying was done.

For those not familiar with grabbing a cup of coffee:

You'll have to imagine the coffee, mind, as the only mug to hand when I did the photos had already been emptied

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 06:06:44 »

Approved by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) ... good.  Thank you.  And only from a Friday event to Tuesday to enter with GWR (Great Western Railway), be rejected by them but pass on to SWR, an have them approve it. Will watch for a BACS repayment fairly soon. 

I have to wonder at the cost both to the rail industry, and to the claimant in their time.  If I was considering making a claim on behalf of my business, paying myself a minimum wage for the time spent doing the "paper"work, my decision might be to take a pragmatic view and not claim.  A good reason for a business to NOT let something go even if it net costs money is to avoid a precedent of someone "taking advantage" being set, but in this case I don't see that would be likely for a single claimant company; that confirms the pragmatic decision.  And I also wonder how the finances of the consequence of being delayed on the individual compare to the amount paid back.

But it is a far better process (in my limited experience so far) than I anticipated.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: