29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:04:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Drunks on trains - ongoing discussion  (Read 43203 times)
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:23 »

Latest news on that service, is that the union have advised guards to work to rule, i.e. only take the train out if it either runs non stop between the offending stations, remain in the brake van at all times, or that transport police accompany it between Bristol and I think Swindon.

This is due to attacks on passengers, and staff. When problems arose, more experienced guards were asked to work it, just to make sure the new ones were't getting out of their depth, and even the experienced men were being threatened and assaulted left right and centre.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 11:21:16 »

When they know a lot of football fans will be on a train, there are police on it, why can't they apply the same common sense approach to trains such as this one?

I was going to say surely this is what British Transport Police are for, then I remembered that they exist to protect railway property.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 22:29:52 »

My experience of drunks on trains has never been good. I have full respect for the staff who are brave enough to work the late trains particularly on friday and saturday nights.

Obviously there is a difference between a drunk and a violent antisocial drunk.

for example:

The person who has had one too many and staggers down the aisle and falls over (sober passengers laugh at this point Grin)
Someone who gets on the train, goes into First Class with no ticket and sits and sleeps for the remainder of the journey. (sober passengers ignore)

compared with:

Someone who slams people in train doors (Sober person swears loudly)
or the very drunk person who decides to relieve themselves on the platform (Sober person moves very quickly away)
Someone who throws threatening abuse at sober passenger (Sober passenger knows whatever they do/say will be wrong...)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:19 »

My experience of drunks on trains has never been good. I have full respect for the staff who are brave enough to work the late trains particularly on friday and saturday nights.

Sentiment appreciated.

It's not very nice to be told, (by a drunken lout), that you "will have your ****ing head kicked in if you ask for a ticket", but on some trains, it's par for the course.  Unfortunately, many jobs which involve an element of public service also carry an element of risk.  However, I knew this when I signed up, as did my colleagues.

Common sense and experience usually enables guards to sort the harmless from the potentially dangerous drunk(s).  Nine times out of ten, this is sufficient, but anyone with experience in dealing with the inebriated will appreciate just how quickly a jovial mood can 'turn nasty'.  In a post above, a member voiced concern at what could be an arbitrary use of power in excluding drunks.  This is perfectly understandable, but the safety of the train, passengers and staff is paramount.  Guards are not social workers, paramedics, lawyers or policemen, although sometimes it appears that they should be.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 09:38:17 »

Just a question, but how many nasty-drunks are there who use trains regularly.  Are there hundreds of these "people" or is it usually a dozen or so who cause most of the problems on a particular route.  If it is the latter then the problem ought to be soluable by policing / ASBOs etc.  If it is the former, this country is in huge trouble.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 21:36:59 »

I sometimes wonder which is more dangerous?

I sleepy and confused drunk...

Or...

A Revenue Protection Officer in a very bad mood... Tongue

Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 23:03:00 »

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree. And despite the above...

Latest news on that service, is that the union have advised guards to work to rule, i.e. only take the train out if it either runs non stop between the offending stations, remain in the brake van at all times, or that transport police accompany it between Bristol and I think Swindon.

This is due to attacks on passengers, and staff. When problems arose, more experienced guards were asked to work it, just to make sure the new ones were't getting out of their depth, and even the experienced men were being threatened and assaulted left right and centre.

...it's a testament to the professionalism of FGW (First Great Western)'s conductors that when I have travelled on the last service from Bristol to Paddington on a Saturday night they have not been hiding in the TGS but have been a visible presence in the train dealing with trouble when it occurs.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 21:54:33 »

Going up through Cornwall on an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyager the TM(resolve) was selling a ticket to a Redruth drunk (penalty fare station), while doing so he suggested several times that the bloke might 'like a kip' and said he would wake him at his destination...fella promptly fell asleep - only problem was that he slumped half across the aisle but everyone had a pleasant journey.

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 12:48:10 »

there are times when drinking is not alowed on trains

section 129 of the 1993 railway act, railway bylaw 4
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 14:16:23 »

Drinking isn't allowed on any form of localised transport in London either, thanks to Boris Johnson Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 14:20:34 »

Drinking isn't allowed on any form of localised transport in London either, thanks to Boris Johnson Tongue

but has he got rid of the bendy busses?
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009, 22:16:24 »

You have been watching too much 'Top Gear' relex  Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 22:46:33 »

You have been watching too much 'Top Gear' relex  Grin

indeedy.... scary thing is that i said that and then it was that show with him tonight repeated!
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 23:18:05 »

Policeman attacked by drunks on train

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7881781.stm
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:09 »

I was travelling on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service from Birmingham to Cardiff and there were 2 young guys who were drunk. They were harmless really and werent violent or anything but some passengers seemed to find them very annoying. One wouldnt sit down and the Train Manager said that if they didnt behave they would be asked to leave at the next stop.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: