Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:47:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was I today?  (Read 1341 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 24, 2019, 16:33:57 »

Subject says it all ... currently header home, exhausted.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 16:38:54 »

The model railway exhibition in Birmingham.

Don't think much of that first class HST (High Speed Train) though - where's the buffet car!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 16:50:48 »

The model railway exhibition in Birmingham.

Don't think much of that first class HST (High Speed Train) though - where's the buffet car!

On Fort William to Mallaig, everyone will be so busy looking out of the window that they will not use buffet, vending machines, restaurant car or trolley.

Yes - at the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about). More pictures to follow when I get home - "relaxing" on a voyager at the moment.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 18:24:38 »

T gauge
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 19:26:04 »

How does the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) exhibition compare to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg? I imagine the Birmingham exhibition aims for accuracy in their sets. The Hamburg setup is more of fun imagination or approximation of the different countries that it has sets for but that's not a bad thing.

I made my second visit to Miniatur Wunderland just over a week ago. It's not just a model railway. I really can't describe in a few words how good it is. If you get the chance, go. But if you can't, take a look at what you're missing.
https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/exchange/about/image-film-wunderland/

They have started building a Monaco and a France layout. Next on the list is England which, according to my visitors guide will be finished by 2021.

From Miniatur Wunderland
Subsequently, we will literally take the plunge over the channel and build England, the mother country of railroads. We don't know yet what it will look like, but the country is an outstanding model with its beautiful scenery in the counties, the industry in the centre of the island, the noble English culture that is visible everywhere and, of course, its multitude of railways.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 20:15:26 »

If Miniatur Wunderland are going to open the south of France next year, I guess they'll be busy now beavering away at the necessary systems to implement an épisode cévenol (as yesterday). That'll be impressive, if they can get the colour of the water right.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 20:42:51 by stuving » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 20:45:32 »

How does the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) exhibition compare to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg? I imagine the Birmingham exhibition aims for accuracy in their sets.

Birmingham celebrates variety. Lots of groups, lots of layouts, lots of stuff for sale, some heritage lines especially narrow gauge ... also RailFuture (and I found myself spending longer on that booth than any other).   Some initial pictures of exhibits to show the variety.   They range from model village with rail element through to "how much track can we get on here", and from fully modelled accuracy to just track on a base to run beautiful locos.  From gauge 1 to T scale.   UK (United Kingdom), European, USA prototypes and the odd whimsical.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 21:37:04 »

Away from the model exhibits ... this is what it was like

And see also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=22454.msg277024#msg277024 with the full size, none-heritage booth!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 21:48:09 by grahame » Logged

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 23:06:20 »

How does the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) exhibition compare to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg? I imagine the Birmingham exhibition aims for accuracy in their sets. The Hamburg setup is more of fun imagination or approximation of the different countries that it has sets for but that's not a bad thing.

I made my second visit to Miniatur Wunderland just over a week ago. It's not just a model railway. I really can't describe in a few words how good it is. If you get the chance, go. But if you can't, take a look at what you're missing.
https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/exchange/about/image-film-wunderland/

They have started building a Monaco and a France layout. Next on the list is England which, according to my visitors guide will be finished by 2021.

From Miniatur Wunderland
Subsequently, we will literally take the plunge over the channel and build England, the mother country of railroads. We don't know yet what it will look like, but the country is an outstanding model with its beautiful scenery in the counties, the industry in the centre of the island, the noble English culture that is visible everywhere and, of course, its multitude of railways.

I'm very jealous of you!!! I was there quite few few years back and it's high on my itinerary for my next visit, possibly in the new year. My good lady's son went there for a surprise 40th birthday present last month which we all chipped into. I've not grilled him directly about it yet but from what I've heard he was raving about it and apparently could have done the "behind the scenes" one hour tour we booked him there all over again.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 08:12:48 »

I read somewhere that the Market Deeping layout was on display there, newly restored after that shocking vandalism.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 09:42:20 »

I didn't manage the long trip up from the far-Southwest in the end.  I did warn you its a big exhibition.  Imagine what it was like on Saturday Tongue
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 10:15:05 »

I didn't manage the long trip up from the far-Southwest in the end.  I did warn you its a big exhibition.  Imagine what it was like on Saturday Tongue

The numbers / volume were fine and spot on after the pinch point queue for tickets.  Long queue at the Pasty stall, most of the other food outlets coping well.    Table sharing in the cafe area, but then the public transport ethos of sharing a table was working.    I could have done with longer, but ended up (and it's something I enjoy) acting as lunchtime relief for the RailFuture stand - learned a lot and gave the small team there chance to eat and look around.

There was a far bigger show on at the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) about motorcycles ... more about the busyness of the weekend to follow in other thread.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: