Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:49:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth summer weekend services  (Read 24030 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 20:21:52 »

Didn't mean it in a nasty way, sorry if you got the wrong end of the post Sad TBH (to be honest), is doesn't suprise me that NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) wasn't correct & I doubt a crew diagram has even been made yet.

I know you didnt mean it in a nasty way and no offense was taken. Just hope I didnt come across as being too harsh in my reply  Smiley Everyone is much more friendly on this site compared to some sites these days.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 21:18:52 »

Agree there! All we need to guess now is the number of carriges ALLOCATED for the services for the summer!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 22:13:40 »

Agree there! All we need to guess now is the number of carriges ALLOCATED for the services for the summer!

That is the million dollar question. Especially bearing in mind the loss of the 08:54 Westbury-Weymouth and the return 16:41 Weymouth-Bristol. It could get interesting come home time!

When Wessex stopped the loco and coaches, the 09:00 Bristol to Weymouth always seemed to run as a five coach 150/158/153. That was a few years back before they reverted to running two morning services like they do on weekdays (now the 08:04 and 09:04 ex Bristol) FGW (First Great Western) could use their sole three car 158 along with a 150 but they would have to bolster both morning services as both will be just as busy especially the 08:04 after Westbury now the 08:54 ex Westbury no longer runs.

Another point worth noting is FGW's decision to put the evening service return departure time back from 17:21 to 17:49. Love to know their reasons for this is bearing in mind the inbound service still arrives at 17:09. (Don't tell me, so people can have longer on the beach) After mid-september it reverts back to 17:21. It also stops at Yeovil for 10 minutes and again at Westbury for another 7 minutes!!!! making it a jolly long end to the day.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 13:21:48 »

That is the million dollar question. Especially bearing in mind the loss of the 08:54 Westbury-Weymouth and the return 16:41 Weymouth-Bristol. It could get interesting come home time!

That service wasn't as well used as I thought it would be to be honest, well in terms of 'norms' when the 31's did it & it terminted at Westbury, I don't know what it was like last year though.

Yes, there was indeed the 5 car combo, I used to love that, everyone was wedged in the 158, the 150 was busy & the 153 had 5 people in most Saturdays going down in the morning!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
whistleblower

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 10:44:18 »

Looks like 'whistleblower' was incorrect! There will be an eaarly Bristol -Weymouth on Sundays

WHAT?!!!  How dare you accuse me of being ink incrre incorrek wrong.  Why, you little whippersnapper........ Angry

cheers,

whistleblower Grin
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 18:24:25 »

WHAT?!!!  How dare you accuse me of being ink incrre incorrek wrong.  Why, you little whippersnapper........ Angry

cheers,

whistleblower Grin
There is a 1st time for everything Lol

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 18:19:28 »

Well another bank holiday weekend is almost with us and the sun is set to shine once again (for a change  Smiley) So this means many will want to travel on the Heart of Wessex line this weekend. What sort of service are they going to get?

Well if they try and travel on a sunday none at all until the afternoon as we are still on winter timetable and FGW (First Great Western) have removed the Warminster-Weymouth morning service that used to start running early May in advance of the summer timetable.

If anyone is travelling/working this line this bank holiday weekend do let us know how things turn out passenger wise along with what stock FGW provide. Have they made plans to cover for the extra journeys?Huh? all will be revealed. Happy travelling.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 19:03:43 »

Happy travelling.

Am I not going on FGW (First Great Western) trains then Grin

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 19:07:18 »

Happy travelling.

Am I not going on FGW (First Great Western) trains then Grin

Lol, I must have said that more in hope I think Jim.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 15:28:09 »

An interesting post from the Save The Train Forum (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2338.msg5358#msg5358

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 16:37:01 »

All due respect, but some of that article is a load of tosh!

1)There is now a morning (Sunday) Bath - Weymouth, leaves BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) at 0915!
2)It was on Sunday, along with at least 1 other service
3)Has the person ever been on a St IVes train in the summer

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 18:38:32 »

An interesting post from the Save The Train Forum (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2338.msg5358#msg5358

With regards to the second letter that appears on this link. Lance Cole of FGW (First Great Western) saying they have added an extra service at 9am from Westbury. This is in fact the same service that used to start from Warminster before heading for Weymouth so that is not true to say its an extra service as far as previous summer timetables are concerned; its actually a service which has been cut back!

Clever bit of spin me thinks here. Yes it's extra in terms of what runs in the winter but no different to what has run in previous summers.

In fact, FGW have made cuts to the previous year's summer Sunday services: A morning service that used to start from Weymouth leaving at 8.25 now starts at Frome and an afternoon service that used to run between Westbury (dep 16.05) and Weymouth in the summer no longer runs, so FGW are in no position to be blowing any trumpets right now about services on this line on Sundays. However they can redeem themselves by operating a loco and coaches over the summer  Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 15:35:17 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 07:33:20 »

All due respect, but some of that article is a load of tosh!

1)There is now a morning (Sunday) Bath - Weymouth, leaves BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) at 0915!
2)It was on Sunday, along with at least 1 other service

I was reminded of the fact that the 09.15 didnt appear on the journey planner until a few weeks ago and certainly doesn't appear in the National Rail Timetable. It wasn't until FGW (First Great Western) published their timetable books (quite late this time round and still riddled with errors) that it was certain that this service was running this year.

When Mark Annand wrote to the Chronicle at the time there was no sign of the 09.15 despite enquiries being made. I decided to wait until FGW published their timetables before making comment and sure enough it was there.

P.S There now appears to be confusion regarding the Saturday evening service from Weymouth. FGW's TTs says it's 17.49 during the summer, the journey planner says 17.21 just like it has been in previous years. So if you are travelling from Weymouth on a Saturday evening beware as you may miss your train if you think it leaves at 17.49.

All in all I have a great deal of concern for the future of printed timetables as the ones FGW publish now tend to be riddled with errors and timings of some services are incorrect which is not good when people rely on them for when a service is meant to run. I'm not wanting to intentionally bash FGW on this but their timetables need to improve on their accuracy as this has slipped in the last year.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 07:46:02 »

All in all I have a great deal of concern for the future of printed timetables as the ones FGW (First Great Western) publish now tend to be riddled with errors and timings of some services are incorrect which is not good when people rely on them for when a service is meant to run. I'm not wanting to intentionally bash FGW on this but their timetables need to improve on their accuracy as this has slipped in the last year.

Timettables have always been ridled with errors, some of them quite funny!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 18:30:18 »

The Sunday morning trains to Weymouth were indeed a last minute addition according to confirmations now to hand.   Mark Annand's letter was 100% when it was written and it's naughty (to put it mildly) for anyone to suggest that he was wrong, or to claim loads of credit for offering a better service than he suggested would be available while "rubbishing" him.

Remember this tactic.    If you are running 12 trains but you really only want to run 10, announce you're going to cut  back to 8 services.   Then you'll be seen as the white knight when you - at the last minute - run 10.  Of course, you've managed to sneak in the cuts you wanted to make in the first place ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: