Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:15:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Works at Sandhurst station from November 2019  (Read 18323 times)
RichT54

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2019, 21:16:04 »

There has been some work going on at Sandhurst station for the last couple of weeks. They have cleared a couple of areas of vegetation on the north side of the line. One is in Scotland Hill near the junction with Yorktown Road, where they have placed some storage containers. The other is off Yorktown Road next to the phone mast below platform 1. This morning I noticed there were some temporary barriers at the Guildford ends of the platforms with short sections of temporary fencing extending along the edge of the ballast.

On the one.network road traffic website there is an entry for temporary traffic lights either side of the bridge with the description: "Delivery and material distribution from the highway level to the elevated platforms at Sandhurst Station".

Is this possible preparation for the the introduction of class 769, or just some general maintenance?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 17:57:10 by RichT54 » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 23:48:40 »

At first sight, extending the platforms at Sandhust for 769s looks the most likely reason. After all, 769s have four coaches while 165/6s only three at most. Sandhurst and Gomshall are the only stations shown in maps with only three-car capability, so that's all that's needed. QED.

But hold on a minute ... the "rules" (TPR (The Pensions Regulator)) lists Gomshall's platforms as 91 m long already, more than enough, and Sandhurst as 78 m. The full length (between couplings, I expect) of a 319/769 is 79.5 m, and even the drivers' doors are not right at the end. But then you need to allow a bit of leeway for stopping accuracy, so yes a few metres are needed. You could argue they'll only be for staff use, given where the passenger doors are. And we are only talking about a few metres - it's not as if NR» (Network Rail - home page) ever build anything with a bit extra for the future, is it?

I don't think we have any kind of list of little enhancements like this any more. The label "enhancements" is now reserved for big things funded outside NR's budget, and anything smaller has to come out of the renewals budget, presumably. Over-renewals?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:39 »

Not  a unique issue

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

The number of services stopping at two village stations has been temporarily cut because new trains are too long for the platforms.

Some trains will not be calling at Kennett in Cambridgeshire, and Elmswell, Suffolk, Greater Anglia said.

The rail operator said it was because the software system that only opens doors next to the platform was not up and running yet.

Replacement bus services have been arranged, it added.

A 2 car 150 could stop at the old Melksham platform if the deriver got it exactly right (a 165 could have done so too) but than goodness it was extended. Very tight without exact computer control and awkward for staff access.  Makes sense to add a few yards at Sandhurst (according to the figures on paper).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:20:14 »

When I was at Sandhurst station yesterday (16/12/19) there were not a great deal of obvious signs of progress. I looks like, because the site is right on the edge of the embankment, it's not possible to use a mechanical digger, so all the digging has to be done by hand. The first phase looked like they were relaying electrical cables in fairly deep trenches.

Yesterday they were working on some wooden casings, which I assume were moulds so they could pour concrete foundations. I also noticed at the bottom of the embankment there was a pile of heavy steel piping which looked similar to those used to support the existing platform sections.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 14:42:41 by RichT54 » Logged
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 14:27:48 »

After a long walk two or three years ago I had a 15-minute wait for a train home from Sandhurst station. The tip-up seats in the platform shelter were almost impossible to sit on - very uncomfortable. When I got home I did a bit of Googling and got the impression that such seats were designed that way to deter extended use by non-passengers hanging out on the station.

Marlburian
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 19:16:31 »

They have now confirmed they are extending the platforms for new trains...

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 20:14:16 »

That is "new" as in its loosest sense of the word, given I think the "new" trains are in fact older?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 20:41:54 »

I wonder if they will be extending the platforms at other stations along the route or do the "new" trains have selective door opening?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 21:15:38 »

Most other platforms are just about long enough I believe.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 07:56:57 »

I wonder if they will be extending the platforms at other stations along the route or do the "new" trains have selective door opening?

A comment I saw on RailUK forums said that the east bound platform at Betchworth is also being extended.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 23:08:36 »

This evening's 19-26 ex-Guildford stopper was formed of 6 cars (presumably to get stock caught up in the disruption earlier in the day back to the right place), all available to the travelling public. At Guildford the dot matrix signage advised passengers for Ash to travel in the front 4 coaches. There were no on-board announcements (or at least none audible in the front 3 coaches)

I hope that there were no passengers for Sandhurst in the rear 3 coaches who either had an unwanted journey to Wokingham, or perhaps a nasty tumble down the embankment when they got off the train.......
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 00:09:25 »

This evening's 19-26 ex-Guildford stopper was formed of 6 cars (presumably to get stock caught up in the disruption earlier in the day back to the right place), all available to the travelling public. At Guildford the dot matrix signage advised passengers for Ash to travel in the front 4 coaches. There were no on-board announcements (or at least none audible in the front 3 coaches)

I hope that there were no passengers for Sandhurst in the rear 3 coaches who either had an unwanted journey to Wokingham, or perhaps a nasty tumble down the embankment when they got off the train.......

That does sound odd - Ash isn't even one of the shorter platforms. Only North Camp is long enough, and Ash is second at 101 m - the rest are shorter. Which almost sounds as if the rear unit wasn't going to open at all at those, so Ash was the only one where choice of coach (as opposed to unit) would matter. But that would call for some kind of announcement, surely...

For reference, the shortest platforms on the whole line are:

Sandhurst:   both 78
Blackwater:  both 84
Chilworth:    both 85
Reigate:      down 85 (down is away from Charing Cross, of course)

By standard reckoning, anything over 85 m is enough for an 80 m train. Those lengths are from The Rules, and are for Sussex and Wessex are rounded down from those in the sectional appendices - sometimes very oddly. Chilworths's, for example, are listed as 85.95 before rounding!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 10:28:02 »

You can’t run 6-cars in service on the North Downs Line, unless running non-stop, the rear set must have been locked out of use.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:11:56 »

Having re-read that, I take it the only message was on the station matrix displays - and they run off SWT (South West Trains) software, even if Network Rail now manage the station. So it may well be that the only standard message available to say "travel in the front unit" is worded as "front four coaches". Or else the CIS (Customer Information System) driver didn't know how long a 165 is ...

Was there any other evidence for the second unit being unlocked? It could have been lit up and locked.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 17:02:29 »

You can’t run 6-cars in service on the North Downs Line, unless running non-stop, the rear set must have been locked out of use.

I did not actually check to see if they were in use. I always go for the front of the train, to aid my dash for the onward Goring/Didcot train (see post about badly matched timetables, passim), so cannot confirm. However there was no announcement about the rear three coaches being locked out of use at Guildford, whereas there definitely was the dot-matrix message referred to above.

The locking out of use of empty stock on trains otherwise in use can be galling. Under the timetable just finished this month, the 19-20 Reading to Oxford consisted of two turbos, the rear one locked out of use. On quite a few occasions I traveled on this service after the cancellation of the previous (usually busy) 8 coach Didcot stopper, when the front set was a 2 car Turbo with a locked 3 car set behind. I counted over 200 passengers getting in on one occasion. When I queried why the rear set was locked out of use I was told it was because it stopped at Appleford. Surely to goodness it would have been better just to ensure someone announced in the rear set at Didcot that passengers for Appleford should move to the front 2 or 3 coaches?   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: