Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:14:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustings  (Read 7270 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:45:11 »

I heard overnight that I've been chosen to ask a question at the hustings in Bradford-on-Avon tomorrow night.  It will be very interesting to hear our candidate's responses.

"Transport is now the biggest contributing sector to CO2 emissions, with just a 2% fall in recent times. And a typical journey by private car generates 3 times the CO2 as the same journey by public transport.

"So we are encouraged to use public transport but services are being reduced. Melksham lost six buses a day to Bath bus earlier this month. It looses trains in the middle of the day next month and that leaves service gaps of 2.5 hours. Bus fares went up in November. Rail fares go up in January. A lot of money has been spent on the railway – bringing more and faster trains to London from Chippenham and Westbury but at the same time degrading journeys witihin the Western Gateway area region.

"How will you and your party help to improve sustainable daily local public transport for the future in the Chippenham constituency, and for the region?"

An interesting evening ... and some interesting answers.

We have three very different candidates.  In a climate change hustings, the Conservative was always going to find the audience relatively hostile to her compared to the others.  The Labour policy seems to be that nationalisation and a bigger state will allow the government to sort out the wild excesses of business. Three candidates, one out of her depth, the other two find their feet. Whoever wins I look forward to working to improve transport in the way I suggest in my question it's needed.   Two candidates made suggestions to answer to the question; the third diverted off to what we have actually managed to achieve locally and looked to attach herself to that success, and pointed at the success of her government in investing in ... better LONDON services, overlooking the needs within the region and the "final mile" stuff.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:55:45 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:18:53 »

Interesting demographic making up the audience. Appears to be entirely white and 60+. Not particularly representative?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:29:27 »

Interesting demographic making up the audience. Appears to be entirely white and 60+. Not particularly representative?

Three female candidates and no males either?  Very unrepresentative.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:50:23 »

Three who are strong and people first and foremost.  Yes, I did spot the smiley!

It's Bradford-on-Avon.  Grin ... population around 10,000 and virtually inaccessible from Chippenham, Melksham or Corsham (the other towns in the constituency which are a little more mixed) except by car.  Noting it was specifically a climate friendly hustings ... which will also have moulded the audience.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 07:33:08 »

Three who are strong and people first and foremost.  Yes, I did spot the smiley!

It's Bradford-on-Avon.  Grin ... population around 10,000 and virtually inaccessible from Chippenham, Melksham or Corsham (the other towns in the constituency which are a little more mixed) except by car.  Noting it was specifically a climate friendly hustings ... which will also have moulded the audience.

Probably reflects the 17,000 Conservative majority too!  Smiley
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:11:17 »

Interesting demographic...Not particularly representative?

Impossible to tell but is that really an issue?; the makeup of most audiences will be governed by the willingness of individuals to attend (and buy tickets where necessary). In politics it is true that anybody who chooses not to engage in the process cannot complain about the outcome after the event.   

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 17:18:02 »

Interesting demographic...Not particularly representative?

Impossible to tell but is that really an issue?; the makeup of most audiences will be governed by the willingness of individuals to attend (and buy tickets where necessary). In politics it is true that anybody who chooses not to engage in the process cannot complain about the outcome after the event.   

No, it's not a truth, it's your opinion. Anyone can complain at any time. That's democracy, which trumps any process. It's not limited to the ballot box.

Some people (with some justification) feel that none of those available for election represent their views with sufficient adequacy to deserve a tick in the box.

In my opinion, if younger people and those from BAME and other backgrounds (and I am sure that those exist, even in Bradford on Avon) are not engaged, it's incumbent upon Politicians to address this, and upon ourselves to ask ourselves why...……….although a quick look at those leading the major political parties may answer that particular question very easily!!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 19:35:20 »

Some people (with some justification) feel that none of those available for election represent their views with sufficient adequacy to deserve a tick in the box.

Indeed.  I was talking with someone who's an example of this today.  Firm and consistent voter in the past but reading the platform of each of our three candidates repeats 3 times "I can't vote for her because".

In my opinion, if younger people and those from BAME and other backgrounds (and I am sure that those exist, even in Bradford on Avon) are not engaged, it's incumbent upon Politicians to address this, and upon ourselves to ask ourselves why...……….although a quick look at those leading the major political parties may answer that particular question very easily!!!

There were young people at the hustings, and a number asked questions.  Being a midweek school night, they were towards the front (not where my snap showed) so they didn't have to stay to the end.  The real hole was not that generation, but the intermediate generation; I think there were a few but, yes, thinly spread.  Old data, but West Wilts is only 1 in 12 BAME and if I had the data to drill downing the 5 towns, I think I would find that the figure was even less in B-o-A, one of the 2 towns in this constituency.   Having said that, both SAME and LGBT were there and had a significant voice last night.   Can't always tell from a picture.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: