Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:34:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Quiz - 2019  (Read 27022 times)
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:43 »

Guess. Swindon Town.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 11:09:14 »

Can I guess that tomorrow's is Taunton?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 12:19:39 »

Guess. Swindon Town.

In Graham's absence (undergoing gainful employment, I believe) can I offer this from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire ten years ago:
Swindon's other railway station
By Neil Lover
Railway Historian

Swindon Station in Old Town existed for just 80 years

Many years ago, Swindon's Old Town used to have its very own railway station.

People familiar with Old Town will know the site where the station once stood is now Signal Way industrial estate, and the old track that lead to it is now a cycle path spanning Old Town.

The station existed for just 80 years to fare-paying passengers.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 18:01:27 »

Yes, Swindon Town today.  And it probably won't be Taunton tomorrow.

Running North - South through Wessex were a number of lines
The Didcot Newbury and Southampton (DN&S)
The Midland and South West Junction (M&SWJ)
The Wiltshire Somerset and Weymouth  (WS&W)
Bath - Westbury - Salisbury - Southampton (does it have a name?)
The Somerset and Dorset (S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway))

The mid 20th century wasn't kind to them - by 1970 only the Bath to Southampton line was left, with traffic from the south coast to the Midlands and North running via Reading to the east, or traffic destined for the far south west coast via Taunton and Exeter.  Part of the WS&W remained open to passenger trains, though threatened under the Serpel report, and part lost its scheduled passenger services apart from one train each way on Summer Saturdays - good to see that's made something of a comeback, though still broken at Westbury as a through route for passengers.

Seeing a separate thread spinning off for Yatton to Clevedon ... not beyond the bounds of sanity. But I don't seen any case in the forseeable future for the M&SWJ between Hays Lane and Ludgershall, through Swindon Town station.

In Graham's absence (undergoing gainful employment, I believe) ...

Yes, writing Ruby code this week. Great fun. Working with micro-framework for a web appliaction that I'm choosing to call "monorail" as it's very much cut down from Ruby on Rails.   The place I'm working isn't a part of the UK (United Kingdom) that many people want or need to stay, so I'm sitting writing this waiting for the train back to my digs up the line.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 18:21:54 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 19:26:52 »

This is how the site of Swindon Town station looks like now:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5494161,-1.7749864,3a,75y,296.5h,87.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV2ojL346-60wtfmbE1U3zg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

http://swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/

The building that was the M&SWJR head office still stands today.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 05:14:49 »

No, not Taunton ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 05:18:11 »

Somewhere on the Ffestiniog ?
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 06:43:24 »

Ravenglass and Eskdale?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 07:00:26 »

Is there a Bath connection with today's picture ?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 07:46:06 »

Yes I would say that it is just south of Tan y Grisiau by the power station.  The photo is perhaps not what it seems at first as the train appears to be using gravity which the old Ffestiniog did long before the reservoir was built. I would suggest that this is some sort of reenactment as the power station is in the picture.  Incidentally it could not now run all the way by gravity now because there is now a summit on the deviation round the reservoir.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:47 »

Yes I would say that it is just south of Tan y Grisiau by the power station.  The photo is perhaps not what it seems at first as the train appears to be using gravity which the old Ffestiniog did long before the reservoir was built. I would suggest that this is some sort of reenactment as the power station is in the picture.  Incidentally it could not now run all the way by gravity now because there is now a summit on the deviation round the reservoir.

There seem to be a surprising number of modern re-enactments - a whole page about it at
https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Gravity_slate_trains

But as you say, the deviation means they can't run all the way (since gravity does not work uphill) and this must have been a special re-enactment as the usual run is downhill form Ddault
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:43:33 by Red Squirrel » Logged

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 09:24:53 »

Pedant alert
Gravity still works when things travel uphill, just acting to decelerate rather than accelerate.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 11:46:27 »

The Ffestiniog gravity train was featured and re-enacted on a recent episode of Steam Train Britain. Apparently it's run a few times each year as an attraction/demonstration for the line's customers but only in a viewing capacity. The braking requirements are show to be quite complex requiring a chief brakesman (is that a word?) at the front with a number of additional operatives with brake handles on other wagons. The chap at the front uses hand signals to indicate how many of them need to apply their brakes at any given time.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 13:39:03 »

Not wishing to derail this at all however!
Just in case you're not feeling festive yet try this https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&v=cD3QlR98--A&ebc=ANyPxKpKc7X_Z2L-l5uzLzec3t22CesBXHbguCI5tiJ21ixY-cCM9sEtjZnC19ydCS3uikduBicApwhqhsYfdRa6vU6q6mIHIA.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 16:16:14 »

Very good, although some of those horns are a bit out of tune  Grin

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: