Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:08:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Grove, Watford  (Read 4883 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2019, 12:37:17 »

The NATO summit last week was held at The Grove, Watford, which used to be a British Railways Training Centre.  Very nice it was too, with extensive grounds, nice food etc.  I did several courses there including the Quality 500 course in the 1980’s which was part of the major Quality Through People initiative which, I think, was very successful despite initial scepticism from some.

Happy memories!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 13:21:25 »

I once used to look after the road traffic lights in the grounds there, and quite often got a free lunch......
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 13:42:01 »

Yes, I remember them - they were either side of the single track hump back bridge on the (very long) drive.  We weren't allowed taxis in the early days so it was the bus from Watford Junction and then a long walk up that drive.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 13:51:00 »

I just went there the once - a Public Affairs course in 91 or so.  Pleased I did.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 17:06:06 »

Thinking of The Grove reminds me of, one evening after dinner, someone making a pass at one of the waitresses young enough to be his daughter. She smiled and walked away.

The next evening she was serving him and dropped an apple crumble and custard on his lap.  “Oh sorry” she said , smiled and walked away.

That’s how girls looked after themselves before the snowflake generation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 17:20:09 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 17:07:57 »

I used to work for British Waterways at their Willow Grange, Watford head office. It always rankled that BW got the premises next to the West Coast Main Line, while BR (British Rail(ways)) got the (much nicer) premises next to the Grand Union Canal...
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 19:27:33 »

I hope I can say this without getting a visit from the boys and girls of Special Branch - "GROVE" and "DEEPDENE" were telegraphic code abbreviations in use on the railways  of yore.  These codes referred to the operation of the Royal Train.  I guess no more strange than having codes for wagons such as "BLOATER" or "ELEPHANT" meaning "Can you trace receipt of ..."

I think that both The Grove and Deepdene were both properties used by the railway at some time
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:59 »

Off the top of my head, without the appropriate reference to hand, Deepdene was the war time (and after?) emergency HQ (Headquarters) for Southern Railway/Region.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 11:10:51 »

Off the top of my head, without the appropriate reference to hand, Deepdene was the war time (and after?) emergency HQ (Headquarters) for Southern Railway/Region.

Yes, Deepdene House in Dorking.  Evidently now the site of Kuoni's UK (United Kingdom) HQ.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 14:08:11 »

I hope I can say this without getting a visit from the boys and girls of Special Branch - "GROVE" and "DEEPDENE" were telegraphic code abbreviations in use on the railways  of yore.  These codes referred to the operation of the Royal Train.  I guess no more strange than having codes for wagons such as "BLOATER" or "ELEPHANT" meaning "Can you trace receipt of ..."

I think that both The Grove and Deepdene were both properties used by the railway at some time
Given there's a copy of the working instructions on eBay (and I have no connection to the listing) I think you're safe. Wink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113937968241?ViewItem=&item=113937968241
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 14:08:46 »

Thanks RichrdB
From "Britain's Railways in Wartime". https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/britains-railways-in-wartime
...SR(resolve) moved into the Regency house of Deepdene, near Dorking, ...underground caves were adapted into a bunker for the telephone exchange and Traffic Control.

GWR (Great Western Railway) moved into six country houses west of Reading, with Beenham Grange at Aldermaston as the HQ (Headquarters). The LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) took over The Grove near Watford. The LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) moved into The Hoo near Hitchin.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 14:33:17 »

Remember the Grove well 6 week Work Study course Feb 68. Consequently i can study wok all day long!

Als0 College at Derby.
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 15:55:11 »

Another memory of the Grove, whilst a Management Trainee 73-75, was the decently stocked cellar they had and all at liver damaging prices!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 15:56:14 »

Given there's a copy of the working instructions on eBay (and I have no connection to the listing) I think you're safe. Wink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113937968241?ViewItem=&item=113937968241

Phew!

These instructions were delivered by the Area Manager or an AAM only a matter of less than an hour before the Royal Train was due to pass a signalbox or station, and removed soon afterwards.  They were not left lying around at all.  This was in the days of the IRA terror.  This copy must be something of a rarity.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 07:30:53 »

Remember the Grove well 6 week Work Study course Feb 68. Consequently i can study wok all day long!

Als0 College at Derby.

Off tangent, I've always wondered what happened to Work Study - it was huge on BR (British Rail(ways)) in the 60s but I'm not sure it exists at all now. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: