I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:17:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach timetable  (Read 6840 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2019, 20:33:17 »

I was in Clifton today and went to catch the train from Clifton Down to Temple Meads. I looked at the timetable that it is on the side of the building on the access to the station by the entrance to Clifton Down shopping centre. It said the train to Temple Meads was at 17.31, and so I sheltered from the torrential rain that was hammering down at the time under the shopping centre canopy, then went to catch the train, only to find the actual departure time is 17.29. I wasn't happy!

I also note that from next week this train will be leaving at 17.25.

Whose responsibility is it to update these timetables, and how old is the one up there at the moment?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 21:59:20 »

Whose responsibility is it to update these timetables, and how old is the one up there at the moment?

The first part is simple - GWR (Great Western Railway)'s, and it's a franchise obligation:
SCHEDULE 1.4

Passenger Facing Obligations

1. Publishing the Timetable

The First Timetable

1.1 The Franchisee shall publish on the Start Date:
(a) the Timetable:
(i) at each staffed Station, by making the relevant information available upon request and free of charge in one or more booklets or in other similar form;
(ii) at each Station, by displaying the relevant information on information displays;
(iii) at each Franchisee Access Station, by providing to the operator of each such station the departure and arrival times of the Passenger Services that call at each such station and the principal Connections to any other transport services relevant to each such station in the same forms as are specified in paragraphs 1.1(a)(i) and 1.1(a)(ii); and
(iv) on the Franchisee's website; and
(b) the timetables of other Train Operators at Stations, in accordance with paragraph 1.4.

Timetable Revisions and Alterations

1.2 The Franchisee shall publish updates or replacements to the Timetable at the locations specified in paragraph 1.1 to the extent necessary to reflect any changes which come into effect on a Passenger Change Date:
(a) in the case of booklets, at least two weeks before the changes come into effect;
(b) in the case of information displays, no later than the day before the changes come into effect;
(c) in the case of information provided to the operators of Franchisee Access Stations, in sufficient time for such information to be published by such operators within the time limits provided for in this paragraph 1.2; and
(d) in the case of the Franchisee's website, at least four weeks before the changes come into effect.

1.3 In addition, the Franchisee shall:
(a) subject to paragraph 1.4, display posters at each Station advising passengers of all significant alterations between any two Passenger Change Dates to railway passenger services calling at that Station, no later than four weeks in advance of the date on which the alterations come into effect; and
(b) provide posters to the operators of Franchisee Access Stations, advising passengers of all significant alterations between any two Passenger Change Dates to the Passenger Services which call at such Franchisee Access Stations, in sufficient time for such information to be published by such operators within the time limit provided for in paragraph 1.3(a).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 21:59:59 »

Well now there's a thing - the only thing I knew for sure about the December Timetable changes was that nothing was changing on the Severn Beach Line... just goes to show how wrong you can be if you take your eye off the ball...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 22:28:09 »

I was in Clifton today and went to catch the train from Clifton Down to Temple Meads. I looked at the timetable that it is on the side of the building on the access to the station by the entrance to Clifton Down shopping centre. It said the train to Temple Meads was at 17.31, and so I sheltered from the torrential rain that was hammering down at the time under the shopping centre canopy, then went to catch the train, only to find the actual departure time is 17.29. I wasn't happy!

I also note that from next week this train will be leaving at 17.25.

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), the planned departure time was 1729, which tallies with the downloadable timetable, but the actual departure time was 1731½. The train actually arrived early, at 1725¾. If the timetable says 1731, it is wrong, and will remain so next week. 

You are right about next week's departure time being scheduled for 1725, although this doesn't get a mention in the "What's changing?" portion of the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. We'll see how that one goes, as it relies on the outbound train, which both arrives and departs at 1725, being on time.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:00:37 »

Well now there's a thing - the only thing I knew for sure about the December Timetable changes was that nothing was changing on the Severn Beach Line... just goes to show how wrong you can be if you take your eye off the ball...

Whilst "no change" might be the headline / plan on the white lines across the central zone, there are inevitable "small" changes as the existing train pattern is kept, but the details are updated to work around other trains appearing at different times and in some cases in different quantity.

This is a "Beach" thread ... trains into Temple Meads going to be influenced by IET (Intercity Express Train) time changes and extras.  Backroom discussions did (as I recall, listening to others in whole-area meetings) save Sea Mills calls and bring up issues of skips at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road.  Interesting to see GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail showing "Avonmouth" rather than "Severn Beach" on this map they have published.

Other white lines ... I note comment elsewhere about changes that cause a half hour delay from Worcester into Bristol in the morning peak.   

From Heart of Wessex, a peak train stopping short of Bristol Parkway, and another setting off a few minutes earlier to stand a few minutes longer at Westbury.
Code:
Northbound 06:40, 06:56, 08:07 from Frome this week
Northbound 06:42, 06:50, 08:04 from Frome next week

The 06:56 arrived Bath 07:45 and Temple Meads 08:06 this week - to Parkway
The 06:50 arrives Bath 07:49 and Temple Meads 08:08 next week - to Abbey Wood
10 minutes longer journey to Bath, 8 minutes longer to Bristol.
My guess is that Frome commuter are not going to be singing with joy

TransWits - white line, yet trains moved as much as 40 minutes.  Pointing out issues early on - like The Beach late adjustments mentioned above - has made the majority of these changes (but not all of them) on weekdays positive.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 21:02:33 »

Many apologies. I was up in Clifton again today, this time in daylight, and had another look at the board, and saw that it said 17.31 for Saturday and 17.29 for the weekdays. I'm sure I had noted that it was Saturday as well at the time, but must have had a senior moment (not uncommon these days sadly) and missed the weekday time.

Anyway, this thread has at least highlighted that the train time is changing next week, so has achieved something.  Smiley
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 23:34:26 »

...Anyway, this thread has at least highlighted that the train time is changing next week, so has achieved something.  Smiley

Absolutely! For which I am very grateful!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 18:59:57 »

When I used to use the Severn Beach line for a couple of years up till November 2018 to commute to work from Redland, the northbound service due to depart Redland at 0813 was practically ALLWAYS a few minutes or more late every (week)day, which consequently made the southbound service due at 0819 a few minutes or more late!  I noted with interest the change to the Severn Beach timetable from the 15th December.  With the departures from Redland at that time of the morning, brought forward by 6/7 minutes.  But I note from walking past Redland station around that time every morning. that that northbound service is STILL running late pretty much every (week)day! 

Look at these examples from the past week...

Monday 23rd December - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/simple/RDA/2019-12-23/0800
Tuesday 24th December - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/simple/RDA/2019-12-24/0800
Friday 27th December - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/simple/RDA/2019-12-27/0800
Monday 30th December - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/simple/RDA/2019-12-30/0800

They might as well have just kept the Severn Beach timetable as it was!  Because at that time of the morning anyway, the services are actually running at very similar times to what they were pre the December timetable change!

I know that services on the Severn Beach line were frequently late before due to the double track bottle-neck between Temple Meads and Narroways Junction.  But I thought since that section was quadrupled back in November 2018, that this would improve punctuality on this line.  But it seems not!

Doesn't really effect me personally.  But just saying.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: