Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:18:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Aberthaw Power Station and Decarbonisation  (Read 56313 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2022, 11:01:05 »

Wasn't the Chinese component of Hinkley Point cancelled and the contract given elsewhere? Or am I imagining that (and if so, why?)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2022, 12:21:17 »

Wasn't the Chinese component of Hinkley Point cancelled and the contract given elsewhere? Or am I imagining that (and if so, why?)

Because that was Sizewell, and news items about it always bung in a mention of Hinkley? CGN are still 1/3 partners in Hinkley, with EDF (prop E Macron), and I don't think there's a serious plan to buy them out.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2022, 14:45:19 »

As an aside, members will have noted that France has had to turn down the wick on its nuclear power stations recently. Specifically, those which use river water for cooling: it seems the temperatures are currently high enough to risk damage to river life:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/03/edf-to-reduce-nuclear-power-output-as-french-river-temperatures-rise

I read somewhere that one of the objections to Sizewell C is that it will raise the temperature of the sea locally, though in this case the problem relates to the growth of phytoplankton in the balmy discharge.

https://tasizewellc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/g-Ecological-Impacts140679253.pdf

Shame they can't build power stations where people live; we could add the waste heat to local heat networks:

https://www.energyservicebristol.co.uk/business/heat-networks/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2022, 17:01:14 »

I am not convinced that drought is the main reason for the substantial reduction in French nuclear output. The output has been well below the historical norm for more than a year, including during times of normal rainfall.
The underlying reason is reported to be stress cracking and corrosion in a large number of nuclear power stations. The French are trying hard not to publicise this since they hope to sell nuclear power stations to the UK (United Kingdom) and elsewhere.

Better to blame the weather rather than defective design or construction.

As a result France have been regularly importing expensive electricity from us. I think that mainland Europe are in a panic over gas and electricity for the coming winter. Various energy saving measures are being enacted or proposed.

And what is being done in the UK ? nothing much.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2022, 17:42:37 »

All river-cooled power stations (and some sea-cooled ones too) have, for a very long time now, operated with outlet temperature limits. And in the summer they often have to reduce exhaust heat by that route - which is why they have cooling towers as back-up. This year, in France, the drought is such that some of them may be short of water for those too.

There hasn't been any secret about how many of the French nuclear generators are "in need of repair", and this goes back to last year. That is why our grid's usual fix of the French electrons has been replaced by us feeding them a little (actually 1.68 GW (Great Western) now). The heatwave effects just add to that. If you think about it, needing more repair is exactly what you would expect as they get older - it happened to ours as well.

I did see a suggestion that the feeding of electricity that way is a virtual gas pipeline, to help France and Germany build their reserves using terminal capacity in the UK (United Kingdom). They are short of this, while we have some that we have replaced by the Norwegian pipeline. So if we burn gas on their behalf they have more of it to send down the salt mines.  But I doubt that's more than an accidental result of what had to happen anyway.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2022, 20:59:55 »

As an aside, members will have noted that France has had to turn down the wick on its nuclear power stations recently. Specifically, those which use river water for cooling: it seems the temperatures are currently high enough to risk damage to river life:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/03/edf-to-reduce-nuclear-power-output-as-french-river-temperatures-rise

That's a very sensible idea, and might also save a few euros in fuel.

I read somewhere that one of the objections to Sizewell C is that it will raise the temperature of the sea locally, though in this case the problem relates to the growth of phytoplankton in the balmy discharge.

https://tasizewellc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/g-Ecological-Impacts140679253.pdf

I know that dilution is not the solution to pollution, but I find it hard to remember enough physics to work out how much heat would have to be discharged into the sea to make any difference, especially given the currents and tides. Perhaps Sizewell C could be designed so that some of this heat can be used for industry or agriculture. It's been done elsewhere.

Shame they can't build power stations where people live; we could add the waste heat to local heat networks:

https://www.energyservicebristol.co.uk/business/heat-networks/

That too. The problem is that nobody wants a power station of any type in the neighbourhood, but I'm sure hot water could be piped for relatively long distances with the right pipework.

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 09, 2022, 16:44:42 »

Referring to Tony K's last comment, it almost seems an oxymoron that Iceland has miles and miles of above ground pipework to cool the geothermally heated water so it is at a safe temperature for human and industrial use.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2022, 21:23:32 »

Referring to Tony K's last comment, it almost seems an oxymoron that Iceland has miles and miles of above ground pipework to cool the geothermally heated water so it is at a safe temperature for human and industrial use.

'Tis true, I've marvelled at it myself. It is also piped direct to the hot water taps. It sometimes smells a bit sulphurous coming out of the shower head, but they say that's good for the skin, and as a bonus, you can get away with a lot.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 19:29:35 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 09, 2022, 23:36:33 »

The use of waste heat from power stations for domestic heating or industry is frequently proposed and can sound attractive, but seldom makes economic sense.

The first problem is that this waste heat is rejected at a very low temperature, less than blood heat. This slightly warm water is not very effective for domestic heating or industrial purposes.
Try heating a home to say 23 degrees by means of warm water at about 30 degrees. It can be done but requires either underfloor heating or very oversized radiators.

To transport a useful amount of heat at such low temperatures requires huge volumes of water. Very large and expensive pipes that are disruptive to install. Considerable energy used in pumping all that water.

Possible uses include heated swimming pools, heated glasshouses, or thermal desalination of seawater.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2022, 09:05:57 »

'Tis true, I've marvelled at it myself. It is also piped direct to the hot water taps. It sometimes smells a bit sulphurous coming out of the shower head, but they say that's good for the skin, and as a bonus, tou can get away with a lot.
Grin Shocked Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2022, 10:21:43 »

The first problem is that this waste heat is rejected at a very low temperature, less than blood heat. This slightly warm water is not very effective for domestic heating or industrial purposes.

The other way of looking at that is to say that if heat has to be rejected at a higher temperature so it is useable, the electrical output (and thus the efficiency) is reduced. So this heat isn't "free" at all: it has a significant cost in electricity foregone.

In 1972 (I think) I was a lab demonstrator on an OU summer school in Loughborough, and we did a few factory visits (GEC turbines in Derby was one). Two were to power stations; one was Ratcliffe on Soar, mentioned upthread as still in operation. Lasted well, hasn't it? It was only a few years old when I saw it, new and almost shiny. Of course it was impressive, like anything else that's like something familiar but a hundred times bigger. Surprisingly, having seen the boiler (mega-huge), and the turbine (huge), the alternator was almost small by comparison, tacked on the end of the turbine (with an even smaller exciter tacked on the end of that).

Following that we went to Spondon, which I think is the biggest British power station built to provide process heat first and electricity second. It was smaller (30 MWe) but had a very big water softener. The water inside a steam cycle has to be very pure, so that's usually a closed cycled with a purifier for its make-up water. At Spondon the steam went from the boiler through a single high pressure turbine and then, instead of medium- and low-pressure turbine stages, it went across the canal (actually the Derwent) into British Celanese and never came back. If the plant was shut down (which would be rare), so was the power station - another constraint of this sort of joint operation.

And as for heating homes ... well, this week, one problem with siting a power station to do that should be obvious enough. There is heat to be rejected all year, but heating isn't needed in summer. So some alternative is called for - not a river, obviously! And cities are already uncomfortably hot (heat islands), but guess what happens if you plonk a GW (Great Western) or two of heat engine down in one (or even moderately near)?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2022, 19:59:42 »

The other way of looking at that is to say that if heat has to be rejected at a higher temperature so it is useable, the electrical output (and thus the efficiency) is reduced. So this heat isn't "free" at all: it has a significant cost in electricity foregone.

Yet another way to look at that is to see the water as having had the maximum amount of energy used. I'm sure I recall a big heated greenhouse affair in Kent using waste heat from something, and somewhere similar near Preston doing the same thing to grow salads. I can't find anything about it now, so maybe it didn't work out.

Iceland's heating systems use a bit of a mix. Reykjavik has boreholes under streets with water at a comfortable temperature for showering and radiators piped to every home. We were told not to turn the heating down if it got too hot, but to open windows, that being the most efficient way. Pavements are heated from below, making them ice free. The big superheated water plants get water at 200C-plus. That gets used for power production, then piped to Reykjavik to provide district heating to the parts without boreholes. The mineral content means it is corrosive, so uses heat exchangers with clean water and traces of hydrogen sulphide added. When we went there the first time, I wanted to look around the power stations, but was outvoted by my wife, and had to settle for stunning scenery and geysers instead.

We could yet use some of this expertise in the UK (United Kingdom), albeit at a less dramatic scale. Just don't tell anyone that a lot of the heat is from radioactive decay.

Edit: My subsequent reading suggests that all this Icelandic innovation developed out of necessity, and as from recently as the 1970s. Prior to that, Iceland had hydroelectric power developed from the early 20th century, but was largely reliant on imported coal and oil for a lot of power as well as space heating. That changed with the oil crisis 50 years ago, giving limited choices of either paying more, using less, or finding another way. A nation with a lower population than Bristol planned and built the solution, and now attracts energy hungry companies that don't have to rely on a single physical location, like data centres and the dreaded Bitcoin miners. We could yet import energy from their if Icelink ever gets the nod.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 16:30:20 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2022, 23:08:50 »

As an aside, I understand that the average water temperature of rivers in the UK (United Kingdom) is just under 10 degrees. Bristol think it's worth extracting some of this heat in a water-sourced heat pump located on the edge of the grassed-over bombsite that some call Castle Park. Presumably you could extract a lot more heat, more efficiently, from water at 23 degrees? Or am I showing my ignorance again?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2022, 23:16:17 »

As an aside, I understand that the average water temperature of rivers in the UK (United Kingdom) is just under 10 degrees. Bristol think it's worth extracting some of this heat in a water-sourced heat pump located on the edge of the grassed-over bombsite that some call Castle Park. Presumably you could extract a lot more heat, more efficiently, from water at 23 degrees? Or am I showing my ignorance again?
You could extract much more heat more efficiently from water at 23 degrees yes.  Just need a heat pump. 
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2022, 06:51:02 »

They did a trial of geothermal energy at Marchwood, opposite Southampton, 50+ years ago. There is something related now opposite the West Quay Shopping Centre when I cycle from the station to the ferry.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: