27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:22:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrapping HSTs instead of relieving voyagers  (Read 20275 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 09:31:34 »

Surely the Cross Country capacity issue does not cover the whole network, but certain corridors.

From me perspective, virtually every Cross Country I have ever got on the Bristol to Birmingham route has been overcrowded, whether

• turbostar
  • voyager
  • super voyager

with crowding compounded with excess

• luggage
  • prams
  • cycles
  • scooters

The whole franchise needs looking at. The mix of commuter and long distance traveller is not well catered for.

As a fix for our area, I would like to see GWR (Great Western Railway) run regular Bristol - Birmingham and Bristol - Plymouth services to take pressure (compete) with Cross Country.
chopper1944

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 11:28:45 »

I agree with Simonw, with GWR (Great Western Railway) trains using the Camp Hill line and a spur to Moor Street at Bordesley
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 12:49:48 »

It was the same in pre-Voyager, pre-HST (High Speed Train) days with loco hauled, 7 car Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) sets. Every coach into B'ham was full, including from the Oxford line.

What about GWR (Great Western Railway)/WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) Bi-modes, open access to Manchester?

OTC

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 10:23:59 »

From Rail Magazine

Decisions on the future of stored High Speed Trains will be made in the near future, after the first seven Mk 3s were sent for scrap

A Porterbrook spokesman told RAIL that those moved west were a “trial scrapping” but confirmed that discussions needed to be made regarding the other vehicles stored at Long Marston and Laira. He said it was likely that some of those in better condition would be re-used, but that many would be scrapped.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 15:33:33 »

It does seem very shortsighted to scrap HSTs (High Speed Train) whilst capacity remains such a problem.
HSTs are old and rapidly becoming non-standard, but SHORT TERM retention of a modest number would seem to be more sensible than rushing to scrap them.
Cross country voyagers are still overcrowded.
Short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) are still a regular feature.

It would in my view be reasonable to grant a derogation regarding disabled facilities.
I would argue that an HST with seats to spare, is in practical terms a lot more accessible than a crush loaded half length DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).
I rather doubt that a wheelchair user could even board a crush loaded IET, let alone get to the universal toilet, or to the wheelchair space. Booking wont help as bookings are voided on short formed units.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 21:05:36 »

The same rules that allow 442s to run on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) then...
southwest
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 18:25:33 »

It does seem very shortsighted to scrap HSTs (High Speed Train) whilst capacity remains such a problem.
HSTs are old and rapidly becoming non-standard, but SHORT TERM retention of a modest number would seem to be more sensible than rushing to scrap them.
Cross country voyagers are still overcrowded.
Short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) are still a regular feature.

It would in my view be reasonable to grant a derogation regarding disabled facilities.
I would argue that an HST with seats to spare, is in practical terms a lot more accessible than a crush loaded half length DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).
I rather doubt that a wheelchair user could even board a crush loaded IET, let alone get to the universal toilet, or to the wheelchair space. Booking wont help as bookings are voided on short formed units.

It does seem crazy that ex LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) hst's which have exactly the same interior as XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are sitting idle. Although Coronavirus has had a massive impact, when things get back to normal these voyagers could be replaced. If EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) (East Midlands Trains) - about) can get dispensation until 2022 why can't XC? The government seems intent on keeping the voyager fleet within XC rather than making Arriva buy IET's or something better.

Although I suspect if the Voyagers do get freed up Grand Central will take them on to replace its 180s.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 04:13:32 »

Although I suspect if the Voyagers do get freed up Grand Central will take them on to replace its 180s.

A Crystal Ball that gave a correct indication. From RailAdvent

Grand Central has revealed its recently-refurbished Class 221 SuperVoyager trains, which will run on its West Riding route, from Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross.

The trains will run four times per day, seven days a week. They have 256 seats on each unit and onboard facilities that match those of the operator's 180 Adelante fleet. All trains have free on-board Wi-Fi, catering, and leg room that Grand Central describes as “generous”.

The Article does not describe the future of the Grand Central Adelante fleet

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2023, 07:37:33 »

The Voyagers are additional to the Adelantes I think, at least for now. But I’m sure GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) will be considering whether to replace the Adelantes entirely.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: