Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 18:00:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsham Station reopening  (Read 59733 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 14:03:17 »

My problem with this, is that it would slow down (again, even more), FGW (First Great Western)'s HSTs (High Speed Train).

Unless new services were started (e.g. Oxford to Bristol) - fat chance!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 14:21:45 »

My problem with this, is that it would slow down (again, even more), FGW (First Great Western)'s HSTs (High Speed Train).

Unless new services were started (e.g. Oxford to Bristol) - fat chance!

Which is exactly the debate that we have been having with FGW  Grin

See archive quote below :

Regarding Corsham, research (backed up by source info) suggests that calling HST's there would take 3 minutes extra, and that there is approximately 3 minutes slack into Bath. Stage Two of my West Fleet plan takes this into account, and also makes provision for a seperate hourly daytime service calling at Corsham (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1407.msg8181#msg8181

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 16:25:39 »

I suppose so, but surely faster services are needed, then with additional local services!

In your "slack" example - 3 mins shorter journey time would be good!

But - it is a good observation. if trains can be called within slack time without affecting performance.....
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 18:21:13 »

But given the slack time is needed for to ensure decent PPM(resolve) figures, the result would inevitably be an extra 3 mins on the timetable. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 18:25:36 »

But given the slack time is needed for to ensure decent PPM(resolve) figures, the result would inevitably be an extra 3 mins on the timetable. 

Of course, if the track speed was increased to 140 mph.....
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 18:39:22 »

My rationale was to create a non-HST (High Speed Train) additional service as follows :

New hourly off-peak Chippenham-Worcester Shrub Hill service calling at Corsham, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Bristol Parkway, Yate, Cam & Dursley, Gloucester, Cheltenham Spa and Ashchurch for Tewkesbury. Some calls are also made at Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road. During the "Bristol peak", services run to/from Westbury/Weymouth rather than Chippenham. The service also improves commuting opportunities between Bristol-Gloucester and Worcester-Cheltenham.

This would also have the benefit of increasing frequencies at stations further up the line towards Gloucester/Cheltenham/Worcester, when combined with other services.

HST's would only call at Corsham when the above service runs to/from Westbury/Weymouth rather than Chippenham. The HST services would run 3 minutes earlier between Bristol Temple Meads-Bath Spa. This timing alteration applies in the Bristol-London direction only.

It is worth noting that the only difference between my position and FGW (First Great Western)'s on the timing is that they came up with a 5 minute figure for the above calculation. I am happy to stick with mine, given that it was worked out by a very reliable source.

Running the non-HST service to/from Westbury/Weymouth during the peak would also have the effect of increasing service provision along that corridor when it is most needed.

Another part of my reasoning was that Corsham would likely require at least limited direct services to/from London.

See link below for full details. The proposal also requires the third platform to be restored at Chippenham.
http://www.raildocuments.org.uk/jan08/stage2.doc

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 18:43:52 »

When I read you plans, I thought you had some good ideas (the above one for example). Smiley

But does anyone know of them? FGW (First Great Western)? Net Rail? If so, what do they think? Cool
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 18:58:01 »

When I read you plans, I thought you had some good ideas (the above one for example). Smiley

But does anyone know of them? FGW (First Great Western)? Net Rail? If so, what do they think? Cool

On FGW, they have a long-held position that there needs to be a suitable local service to call at the station, and they dont want to call HST (High Speed Train)'s there. It was always going to be a long shot to change that. To be fair, they have studied the plans in detail, and also responded to our counter-points. I am sure that we will have further dialogue on this and other issues.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have also considered the plans, but have not elaborated on what they think. However, their plan for FGW comes out in May, and we will be looking to see at least some of our ideas included.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 19:57:07 »

Of course, if the track speed was increased to 140 mph.....

Actually, there is a way. Just reinstate 125mph running from Reading to Swindon and you gain the 3 minutes needed for the stop at Corsham. Travelling at 125mph from Stafford to Wolverhampton yesterday on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service you certainly notice it when they go above 100. 
corshamjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 20:18:03 »

The Pound Art Centre, Pound Pill, Corsham is the place to be on Friday, 23rd May 2008 at 7.30 for 8.00 pm for all those people interested in the reopening of Corsham Station.

Edit by Conner: Now linked to Calendar.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 22:11:32 by Conner » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 12:25:29 »

The "Official" poster ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
corshamjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 23:54:48 »

Mike Greedy of Passenger Focus gave a witty and detailed presentation showing how the decision-making process works and giving some insights in to where we need to focus our efforts.

The Corsham Station Campaign website is now officially launched at http://corsham-station-campaign.org.uk  Cool

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 08:49:20 »

Link to the wider Liberal Democrat proposals.
http://www.libdems.org.uk/news/liberal-democrats-launch-radical-new-transport-policies.14392.html

Quote from: Liberal Democrats
The main proposals include:

Cutting fuel duty and abolishing VED over the next 10 years and introducing a cost-neutral road user pricing scheme on motorways and trunk roads

Building a high speed rail network paid for by introducing emissions-linked charges on road freight and internal flights

Introducing rolling contracts for train operating companies to increase long-term investment and improve services

Give power to control local bus services back to local authorities

Introducing a new fund for rural transport

Giving passengers a stronger voice to improve local transport services through a new passenger watchdog

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 11:00:33 »

Dunno about "soon", but it seems they're not giving up altogether.

This from the Wiltshire Times website:

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/4737837.Corsham_station_bid_takes_centre_stage/?ref=eb

Corsham station bid takes centre stage

4:00pm Friday 13th November 2009

Corsham Station campaign members will be in the Martingate Centre on Saturday from 10am exhibiting statistics from the area.

The campaigners will be using a shop to display information and traffic figures to the public in a bid to drum up support for the re-opening of Corsham Station.

People will be able to find out more about the rail schemes across the area and to write their own response to Network Rail^s consultation on the future of rail services across the region.

Anyone planning on attending today?

Presumably when they say "People will be able to find out more about the rail schemes across the area" they're including the TransWilts campaign - have you been invited, Graham?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 14:12:54 »

Anyone planning on attending today?

I went along - very much welcomed by old friends and some good stuff which I'll follow up on later (I'm passing by and out again in 5 minutes).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: