Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:07:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsham Station reopening  (Read 59957 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 04:29:09 »

I popped in to the Corsham group's "booth" in the centre of Corsham yesterday - they had borrowed a shop that's currently unlet and were inviting shoppers in there to hear more about their campaign for a station ... and much more for a train service that passes through Corsham and is sufficiently un-express for whoever runs it to consider stopping it there.   There's only one train per day that's not a London -> Bristol and beyond (or vice versa) service at the current time.

The group was gathering reply cards / names and addresses with a particular vies to the GWRUS (Great Western Route Utilisation Strategy) response which is now due in within a fortnight. 

I'll leave their excellent bullet-point texts to speak for themselves initially:

The question was asked in another thread here whether the was going to be much "TransWilts" content at the event.  Well - several of the people there are old friends and very much supporters of the "TransWilts", but the campaign / issues are different but with parallels.

Comment on Corsham:

The GWRUS looked at a Bristol area -> Chippenham service which would have provided a suitable more local train through Corsham, and trains could then call there serving Bath (in one direction) and Chippenham (in the other), both of which are Corsham destinations.  However, the roads into Bath / Chippenham are in both cases less than fast, and the buses in both directions used to (still do?) go round the houses in places making a less than fast service.

From my reading of the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy), the case for a Corsham station itself wasn't examined, and the idea of a Bristol -> Chippenham suburban route was rejected because of the cost of a bay platform at Chippenham in favour of an extra hourly Bristol -> Bath.  Without a bay at Bath, I do wonder if they have the capacity to turn trains around there.    Looking more bravely / wider ... why not make the service a Bristol -> Swindon suburban one, evaluate the case for a Wootton Bassett station on the Chippenham line, which would then have a 30 minute service (hourly via Corsham, hourly via Melksham) into Swindon.    Makes sense, bearing in mind Wiltshire Council's expansion plans for "West of Swindon" by 2026, along with Chippenham and Trowbridge.

I was reminded about the Corsham event by Duncan Hames' tweet (Duncan is the prospective Lib-Dem candidate for Chippenham / Melksham  / Corsham / Bradford-on-Avon ... and who should I run into at the meeting but Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones, the Conservative candidate.

Support for this one is truely cross-party ... there were strong lib-dem and conservative supporters both manning the shop at the event.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 20:28:20 »

... and who should I run into at the meeting but Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones, the Conservative candidate.

Perhaps he could campaign for improved services in Devon, where he lives  Wink

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 12:26:25 »

I have been asked to comment on how Corsham "fits in with" the TransWilts / Community Rail Partnership.   In summary, it's on "the next line across" so isn't directly linked, except that there's so much we can do together, and the potential of alternate services up to Swindon looking w-a-y- ahead.    See my full answer:

http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8106.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 21:16:10 »

From the Wiltshire Times:

Corsham rail station still an objective

A Wiltshire councillor is supporting some objectives proposed for Corsham in the Core Strategy.

Cllr Peter Davis has long campaigned for Corsham to have a train station after the previous one closed more than 25 years ago, and he was pleased to see plans to build a new one have been outlined in Wiltshire Council^s 360-page document.

Cllr Davis, who is also a Corsham Town councillor, said: ^ve endeavoured to get Corsham a new train station for 25 years. I think it would be a vital part of a prosperous future for the town. A new station would improve so many peoples^ lives, including those travelling for work, school and recreation.

^It would save so much time as, for example, we previously got so close to having a new Corsham station that timetables were printed saying how long it would take to get from here to Bath. It would have been eight minutes ^ most commuters haven^t even got their cars out of the garage in eight minutes.^

He said improving transport links would help to bring more tourism and enterprise to Corsham, another priority outlined in the Core Strategy, although he did not support the report^s plans for 670 new houses to be built around the town before 2026.

He said: ^There will undoubtedly be more residential properties in Corsham in the future but I think it could do with a rest for a while.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 11:24:53 »

One of the unintended benefits of the BR (British Rail(ways)) policy, pre and post Beeching. of closing intermediate stations on main lines was that it enabled Inter city to develope a fast frequent service between major centre cummulating in the HSTs (High Speed Train). Now we have the problem of the success of these services and half hourly ICs (Inter City) to Bristol.

I am not sure if you build at station at Corsham how it would be served I would suggest that adding another stop would disrupt an already tight shecdule. Unless of course it was built as later GWR (Great Western Railway) stations were with platform loops. That would make it extremely coatly as ideally you would want long loops with fairly high speed turnouts to minimise delay for train leaving the mainline. It would also require very smart operating for the IC to pass the stopper whilst it's stopped in the loop. Maybe the wonders of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.).

I still wonder whether reopening the Bradford North curve, with a North Trowvbridge Parkway station and running a Bath Swindon stopper wouldn't benefit more people than re opening just one station.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 00:57:23 »

From the Wiltshire Times:

Bristol mayor's rail plan gets Corsham station back on track

Wiltshire Council has welcomed proposals by the new mayor of Bristol to reopen Corsham railway station.

George Ferguson, the independent elected mayor of Bristol, has approved funding for major improvements to the Bristol area railway network, which includes provision for a new station in Corsham. His proposals still need to be approved by Bristol Council before the bid goes before the Department for Transport, but, if successful, could mean the reopening of the station, which closed in 1963.

Wiltshire Council has strongly supported the proposal. Dick Tonge, the cabinet member for transport, said: ^We welcome this promising news about what has been one of Wiltshire Council^s priorities for many years. We are looking forward to working with the greater Bristol area consortium to help make this a reality and bring rail travel back to Corsham. After many years of disappointments, we really hope that the opening of Corsham station can happen this time. We very much support this exciting project.^

Corsham residents and town councillors have campaigned to reopen the station for many years.

Wiltshire councillor for Corsham Peter Davies, who also sits on Corsham Town Council, welcomed the news. He said: ^That would be wonderful. It^s something that I have been working towards for the last 25 years and it^s something that the people of Corsham desperately need and desperately want, in order to get in and out of the city without having to deal with all the congestion. We had the station designed, we had the plans passed and everything ready to construct the station, then the Government pulled the plug on the Bristol to Oxford service, so we had to stop. We are all ready to go. All we want is a train to service to stop at Corsham and we will be willing and able to get it built.^

Mr Ferguson has pledged ^1.8 million of Bristol Council funds to develop the business case for the scheme, which would require ^94 million of Government funding. He said: ^This is something around which the transport lobby seems to be agreed. It^s making use of current infrastructure and adding to it in places. Over the next 10 or 15 years, it enables us to make a more integrated approach to our transport and will, hopefully, lead to an integrated transport authority in the long term.^

The news comes as Transport Minister Norman Baker outlined plans to devolve decision-making on major local transport schemes to local transport bodies from 2015.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 01:19:55 »

Hmm....

Bristol City council taxpayers funding a business case for a station that isn't in the area covered by Mayor Ferguson?

Corsham isn't even in a neighbouring authority area.

I'm all for studies into proposed reopenings but I'm at a bit of loss to understand why ^1.8 million of Bristol taxpayers money is being spent in Wiltshire. Mayor Ferguson appears to be beyond his remit here.

What benefits will a station at Corsham bring to Bristol? Some commuters may switch from road to rail if the station opens but that could be true of may places in the areas near, or not so near, Bristol.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 10:49:54 »

The money AIUI (as I understand it) is for the whole Bristol area project.  Typical BEP misreporting.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 18:27:58 »

The money AIUI (as I understand it) is for the whole Bristol area project.  Typical BEP misreporting.

And that includes Corsham in Wiltshire?

Oh, and the article posted was from The Wiltshire Times not the paper formerly known as Bristol Evening Post.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 18:40:22 »

a.k.a. the Wiltshire Times - the paper formerly known as the Swindon Advertiser (as you'll see if you read the small print signing up to their website)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 18:47:36 »

Hmm....

Bristol City council taxpayers funding a business case for a station that isn't in the area covered by Mayor Ferguson?

Corsham isn't even in a neighbouring authority area.

I'm all for studies into proposed reopenings but I'm at a bit of loss to understand why ^1.8 million of Bristol taxpayers money is being spent in Wiltshire. Mayor Ferguson appears to be beyond his remit here.

What benefits will a station at Corsham bring to Bristol? Some commuters may switch from road to rail if the station opens but that could be true of may places in the areas near, or not so near, Bristol.

The one significant thing linking Corsham and Bristol is the Ministry of Defence, which has "headquarters" at both (Abbey Wood and Spring Lane). Where once however the MoD had the appetite and the money to invest in public transport infrastructure in an attempt to draw staff out of the London region and to relocate to Bristol, as they did when Filton Abbey Wood station was reopened or refurbished (I'm not sure if it ever did close, but it's certainly unrecognisable now from what it was 20 years ago), they have neither the money or the inclination or indeed the staff in need of relocation to re-develop Corsham Station in a similar manner.

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 18:57:34 »

I do not think ^1.8 million is being spent on the Corsham project (or even ^1.8, perhaps ^1800) business case.  If it were, I would imagine a Queens Square riot would again break out. 

Apologies for my own misreporting (I see that standard format presentation and flip).   Cheesy 
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 22:05:09 »

It's safe to assume that the ^1.8m is for development of the case for the whole Metro (possibly only stage 1?) and not for Corsham.

If Corsham improves the business case for the Metro phase 2 then its inclusion in the evaluation work would be money well spent.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 00:01:41 »

It's little different to the process that has seen Crossrail developed mainly by Tfl, even though it extends beyond the GLA boundary, such as to Maidenhead.

Paul
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 17:39:31 »

Corsham Station plan on track

Corsham could have a working railway station again within five years, according to railway minister Stephen Hammond.

Mr Hammond MP (Member of Parliament) visited the town on Thursday to discuss reopening the town^s abandoned station with campaigners and gave his backing to the scheme.

He said: ^The community^s case I have heard today is one of the most powerful cases I have heard.

See Wiltshire Gazette and Herald for full story

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: