Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:02:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Is your name unusual or unique?  (Read 8526 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 16:35:02 »

His ma bought him a Hornby O gauge
Thought it was just a passing stage
Now he's making lots of noise
Playing around with the Coffee Shop boys

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 17:46:02 »

I'm in the unique list.

Excellent.  Grin

Don't get carried away!

It's only a small sample of one census district - 10-20,000 I'd guess - or if it's only the town itself even fewer. Being a census, the names won't all be as registered or christened either; what people provided varied a lot as to full "proper" names vs. everyday or family ones, whether enumerators tidied up the form or spelling varied too. In 1911 each form was filled in by the householder, leading to more mistakes, bad writing, misunderstandings, etc. One quite easy one to do is to put the age in the wrong column, so changing the sex - and it's also not too hard to write "son" and "dau" so it could be either! (At least one on the list above arose like that.)

And then there's all the issues of transcription (enumerators were not all chosen for their clear hand). And for those with "good" handwriting there's the "curse of italic"; once that style becomes dominant in the later 1800s some letter pairs become effectively the same. In my Mum's family is a bunch called Mouser, or is that Monser? Non-one at the GRO could tell, so they were often indexed under both names (not so unusual for surnames, but rare for given names). Looking at the originals, I can't tell either until later on when the typewriter arrives. Plus of course there's Graham's transfer of the list into a post (unless that was automated).

In 1911 the literacy rate among older residents would not have been that high either, so the concept of "right spelling" of their name could be problematic. There was an Evelyn Bennett in Suffolk in the 1870s - at least that's how it was usually spelled. His birth was registered as Evelin (as was first census) and his marriage as Eveylen (in the GRO indexes). When asked in court how it should be spelled, he replied "I'm blowed if I know!". Neither he nor his father did spellings, of course.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 20:12:24 »

I'm in the unique list.

Excellent.  Grin

Don't get carried away!

You are totally correct at the difficulties and limited volume of the data - 5,692 in the sample.  A massive amount of effort has gone into being as correct as possible - but the underlying data, as you say, is handwritten, flakey, what the people told the enumerators. Lisa does link though from one census to the next - but then if spelt differently, which is "right" anyway.

The data was extracted from the database and then the counting and sorting was automated.  And that process threw up a number of "are you sure" which allowed the data to be further cleaned - but it still isn't, and never will be, spotless.

Now ... if you start looking at ages, surnames, etc across censuses and contemporary newspaper articles, you start finding some very interesting things, lies, and skeletons and scandals in the cupboard.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 20:43:36 »

If those names have all been verified against the written original, that does remove one major source of errors, as you say. I tried looking for a few of them and in fact most didn't come up in either of the main transcriptions. I think that illustrates something else - that transcribers often tried to correct what looked wrong, and in the process often "corrected mistakes" that were nothing of the kind.

As another example, a female cousin of my father's was called Cecil - we don't know why (it was a rather odd bit of the family). But it was always pronounced "Seesil", which you'd never find out from written sources. Nor are you likely to find out (even in newspapers) if someone was in reality known as something different from the official names that went down on all the forms - like my Dad's uncle Dan; only ever called Robert officially.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:46:25 by stuving » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 20:50:37 »

a gerbil was named after me in a well-known kids TV show of the 1980's! 

Is your name S.P.G?
 Grin
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 20:52:32 »

johnneyw and oxonhutch are on the money - not many of us Kev's left now (young ones anyway)  Cry
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 23:10:49 »

a gerbil was named after me in a well-known kids TV show of the 1980's! 

Is your name S.P.G?
 Grin

See you! SPG was a Glaswegian Hamster 😎
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 07:13:44 »

Not sure how to spell your own name still exists. I knew somebody who is probably still alive, name spelt differently between birth and marriage certificate.
I have recently read a paper from the Proceedings of the Huguenot Society which went on in great depth about spelling and transcription, compounded by illiteracy; and original names and pronunciations being French which invariably threw the English recorders. And then followed up on suggestions as to how to handle "mistakes".
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 16:06:39 »

As another example, a female cousin of my father's was called Cecil - we don't know why (it was a rather odd bit of the family). But it was always pronounced "Seesil", which you'd never find out from written sources. Nor are you likely to find out (even in newspapers) if someone was in reality known as something different from the official names that went down on all the forms - like my Dad's uncle Dan; only ever called Robert officially.

Slightly (by Coffee Shop standards) off at a tangent, when as a student I delivered milk to earn some cash during the summer long vacation in the 1970s I delivered milk to a household where the male (nominal?) head of  the household was called "Sissal" by his wife (knowledge derived from the orders she barked at him when he answered the door to me on collecting days). Is this a local Thames Valley or an archaic pronunciation of Cecil? 
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 18:09:17 »

... head of  the household was called "Sissal" by his wife ...

Maybe she was raised south of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever-trees.

Rudyard and I spent many a year down there.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 19:54:31 »

When I spent a lot of time working with personal data you got to the point where you had a pretty good idea of peoples decade of birth by their names. Tended to be more so with the ladies than with the gentlemen.

Very much so - names go in and out of fashion, and some stay out of fashion whilst others come back for a another go.

As you may recall from other posts, I have been more silent than usual on here for the last 3 months or so because of a major genealogy project I have involved myself in. And when you get back to your great4 grandparents, there are 64 of the blighters to identify! But in so doing a number of matters perhaps pertinent to this thread have come up:

1. Virtually every Gertrude that ever lived in the UK (United Kingdom) was born between 1870 and 1890 and died 70 to 90 years later

2. Names like Benjamin and Sarah were only carried by very old people when I was a lad, but they both came back into vogue in the 1970s

3. In years gone by illiteracy was very commonplace amongst the general population, and those reporting a birth might not have been in a position to check what the Registrar was writing, or indeed be able to spell the name in question anyway. A distant relative of mine was registered at Newent in 1869 with the name Kizir Gooch. Her name was actually Kezia, but anyone familiar with a thick north Gloucestershire accent will appreciate how "Kezia" could sound like "Kizir" to an outsider's ear under certain circumstances.

4. Some unusual names I have come across were actually surnames from a previous generation eg. a mother's or grandmother's maiden surname. For eaxmple, a James Henry Godwin Roe born in Cheltenham in 1846 had his mother's maidem name thrown in for good measure.

5 Some contrivances were cross-gender constructions. My mother's maternal grandfather was called Albert, so one of her middle names was Alberta. Nothing to do with Canada at all as it turned out Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 08:23:26 »

Very much so - names go in and out of fashion, and some stay out of fashion whilst others come back for a another go.

As you may recall from other posts, I have been more silent than usual on here for the last 3 months or so because of a major genealogy project I have involved myself in. And when you get back to your great4 grandparents, there are 64 of the blighters to identify! But in so doing a number of matters perhaps pertinent to this thread have come up:

1. Virtually every Gertrude that ever lived in the UK (United Kingdom) was born between 1870 and 1890 and died 70 to 90 years later ...

Indeed ... and there's a massive amount of evidence of trends of all sorts in the data - it's a fascinating story.

Every day, Lisa posts births, marriages and deaths from her database onto Facebook - and has quite a following. On a typical day, her database will report ten marriages but for today (25th December) that number has soared to 68.  That's data from Victorian times and the early 20th century, and the database does not pretend to list everyone with Melksham connections who got married - there are those out of area who ran away to Greta Green or had civil weddings, and a number of church registers are not yet published due to the 100 year rule and it taking a long time for registers to fill - but it does give a good comparative.

Why did so many people get married on Christmas Day?  Was it casual marriages of people who had got inebriated on sherry left out for Santa?  Was it men making honest women of partners while everyone else's eyes were turned to Christmas?   Neither of these - with so little holiday from work, Christmas was about the only time of year that the whole family could gather to help the happy couple celebrate, and perhaps the only tim they could slip off for a couple of days honeymoon in nearby seaside resorts such as Severn Beach, Barry or Clevedon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2019, 17:30:55 »

Quote from: grahame
Every day, Lisa posts births, marriages and deaths from her database onto Facebook - and has quite a following. On a typical day, her database will report ten marriages but for today (25th December) that number has soared to 68.  That's data from Victorian times and the early 20th century, and the database does not pretend to list everyone with Melksham connections who got married - there are those out of area who ran away to Greta Green or had civil weddings, and a number of church registers are not yet published due to the 100 year rule and it taking a long time for registers to fill - but it does give a good comparative.

Whilst civil marriages were posible from 1837 onward they were still quite unusual back in those days. Many people didn't consider themselves "properly married" unless a clegyman was involved.

It would also be very difficult to list everybody with connections to an individual place because, amongst other reasons, the practice of sending young women off into domestic service, and that might not necessarily mean that they stayed local to their original area. One of my great great grandmothers spent some time as a servant in London, despite being born and bred in Cheltenham, and indeed returned there upon her mattiage. Given that Cheltenham was full of pretty well-heeled people in the 19th century, one could fully understand somebody knowing of a position in London for a parlour maid or whatever, and making an appropriate recommendation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bath attracted teenage women from around the country for the same reasons. And of course, some may have found a suitable bloke in their new part of the country, got married and stayed put.

Similar considerations applied to some young men who set off to seek their fortunes elsewhere, such as one of my great great grandfathers who migrated from Sweffling, Suffolk to Longhope, Gloucestershire, sometime between 1851 and 1861.

Quote from: grahame
Why did so many people get married on Christmas Day?  Was it casual marriages of people who had got inebriated on sherry left out for Santa?  Was it men making honest women of partners while everyone else's eyes were turned to Christmas?   Neither of these - with so little holiday from work, Christmas was about the only time of year that the whole family could gather to help the happy couple celebrate, and perhaps the only tim they could slip off for a couple of days honeymoon in nearby seaside resorts such as Severn Beach, Barry or Clevedon.

Whilst I can see some of your logic about Christmas Day being a day off, so was every Sunday (if being forced by convention to go to church three times a day in both examples would count for many people as a "day off" even then), and I suspect Christmas Day weddings had more to do with religious significance than anything else. There were very few casual marriages indeed back then because divorce was not really possible for anybody but the very rich (hence the old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure")

Also bear in mind that the vast majority of married women didn't work in those days (indeed, in many professions women were expected to stop working when they married), so there would always have been a pool of mothers and aunts and sisters who would have been called upon to deal with all of the arrangements. And as regards time off, many people could get time off quite easily (agricultural workers, for example, generally had a slack period from late Autumn until early Spring, and some may have been laid off anyway). The main issue, and this was the case even up to WW2, was that people generally didn't get paid leave. In general then, for the majority, honeymooms were low-key and fairly short affairs, if indeed they happened at all.

And to be homest, nobody in their right mind would have gone to Severn Beach on honeymoon even if there were any guest houses in the area. It was really a GWR (Great Western Railway) construct in the 1920s and always concentrated on day trippers from Bristol until that trade generally dried up in the 1960s. Only the wealthy would have considered a holiday at the seaside, and if they were wealthy in our neck of the woods, there were better places to go than Barry or Clevedon Wink
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 00:00:52 »

Not bang in the middle of Severn Beach but the New Passge hotel was very nearby, opening in 1863 and very accessible by train. For honeymoons though? Well, it looked very different then.
BTW (by the way), many years ago as teenagers, we explored the, by then, abandoned and collapsing hotel on a couple of nights. Reckless beyond belief when I recall it's wobbly state, especially upstairs. It's now been replaced by housing.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 06:29:40 »

Considering the marriages on Christmas Day ... "Also bear in mind that the vast majority of married women didn't work in those days".   Hmm - formally, not - but they were very much involved in supporting their husbands and in many cases perhaps worked harder.  Not only in supporting their husbands in what they did, perhaps as a small business or contact worker, but also in bringing up the family; no washing machines and it all had to be done by hand, no running hot water and it had to be brought in with buckets, no internet and no cars and people had to walk out to collect their food and other requirements and carry them home, with no freezers to slash the frequency of these chores.  The census enumerators, though, rarely described all the supporting services provided by the wife as a profession.

I suspect that the Christmas wedding surge was a combination of practicality and religious significance.

Severn Beach was brought up somewhat tongue in cheek.  Weston or Weymouth more popular??

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: