Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:18:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge queues at Reading Station  (Read 4751 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2019, 16:13:26 »

Frustrated passengers trail through Reading Station waiting for trains to London Waterloo.

I wonder how many realised that Paddington was closed - and that it would take 75 to 85 minutes to get to London, and the same again back. Presumably the sales were a big attraction?

At least nearly all trains today to Waterloo have left Reading on time.

Marlburian

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 17:15:28 »

Yes, GWR (Great Western Railway) just tweeted:

Heading to London today?
A queuing system is in place at Reading for trains to Waterloo or take the train to Slough for a connection to Hillingdon London Underground station.

People obviously keen to head back to The Smoke.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 17:36:58 »

Heading to London today?
A queuing system is in place at Reading for trains to Waterloo or take the train to Slough for a connection to Hillingdon London Underground station.

No mention of it being a bus connection?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 17:42:08 »

No mention of it being a bus connection?
Nope. Might catch a few out who aren’t railway geographically aware. Fortunately it’s not too long a bus journey.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 17:49:56 »

Heading to London today?

Indeed, and many of them with luggage.

I'd forgotten about this, so when I checked trains were happening from Wokingham was puzzled to see some extra ones - but only one GWR train to Ash per hour. My SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train at a usual time (13:27) was not at all full. At Reading, the barriers were set out but there wasn't a queue - maybe two trains had just left.

Returning to the station just after 16:00, there was a long queue along P7 even after loading a train. I thought an Ash train would be my best bet, with no queue for that and seats too. But was puzzled to see it announced at the platform end as the 16:02 (after that time) when I was sure there wasn't one. That did change to 16:32, but it's odd it showed a departure that didn't exist on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) or the Tiger CIS (Customer Information System).

SWR were running one extra train in most hours, non-stop inward of Staines. Mid-afternoon there was another train each way that was non-stop all the way - though no faster, of course. Now, I wonder what kind of pseudoguard that train had (if any)?
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 18:13:05 »

I’m not sure how anybody can get frustrated by something that was planned. With all the technology available I’m sure many of these people already knew about it and were willing to wait, it’s just people are naturally miserable looking when in queues.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 18:18:26 »

Hang on. Or did all these people know the line to London was closed and thought that they could just use the new crossrail line instead?  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 19:00:36 »

Let's hope this is the last year of closure on the lines out of Paddington over Christmas - as the vast majority of electrification and Crossrail upgrades are now completed.  Are there any planned for next year?  Stuving?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 19:24:46 »

Let's hope this is the last year of closure on the lines out of Paddington over Christmas - as the vast majority of electrification and Crossrail upgrades are now completed.  Are there any planned for next year?  Stuving?

My list for next year (but may well have been updated)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 19:39:19 »

Hmm ...someone too lazy to look in the EAS then? But as Graham's list shows, next year it's Bristol's turn. There's a lot of "normal" heavy maintenance, as usual over the holiday, with two of the four lines closed most of the way out to Reading, but no blockade of the main line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 21:26:57 »

But as Graham's list shows, next year it's Bristol's turn. ...

Something struck me earlier today - is Temple Meads now the largest station in the UK (United Kingdom) without any electrification?  Will the roof work include enabling for electrification the following year?  Would such a follow up be a good idea?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 21:54:59 »

Something struck me earlier today - is Temple Meads now the largest station in the UK (United Kingdom) without any electrification?  Will the roof work include enabling for electrification the following year?  Would such a follow up be a good idea?

I was told that the roof work would be massively more expensive if carried out after electrification.  I assume the same could be said of Bristol East Junction renewal. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 05:51:24 »

I’m not sure how anybody can get frustrated by something that was planned. With all the technology available I’m sure many of these people already knew about it and were willing to wait, it’s just people are naturally miserable looking when in queues.

Two thoughts ...

1. Many probably knew they would have change at Reading and take the slower local train into Waterloo and accepted that, but what they did not know was that there would be significant queuing / waiting for that service - and perhaps that's what caused their frustration?

2. It's pretty darned hard (virtually impossible) to reach everyone of what (for the rest of the year) is a frequent turn-up-and-go service, and a disproportionate element of the people queuing would have been from that unasserted group.

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 07:53:42 »

Possibly, but between Christmas and new year on any transport service, it is more likely that many would look up what sort of service it will be and if it’s running. It’s certainly not the time of year that people would want to get stranded. I imagine people would look up opening hours for venues and shops in the same manner at this time of year. I would say that most of this article is the chronicle attempting to look like they have their finger on the pulse with the latest news in a town that their journalists appear to know so little about. Local news loves an outrage story and no longer appear to be accountable for getting facts correct. I trust nothing from a local news site that doesn’t get road names or area names correctly, the trouble is that many take what is written on these sites as the gospel.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 09:29:49 »

To add further. The queue would look like a problem when first viewed but this would have been set up to keep people off the terminal platform where the southern electric service arrives, allowing passengers to leave the train first. If you dispersed the same amount of people over the up platforms on the main line it would probably be perceived as relatively quiet.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: