Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:56:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A personal look back at the last decade, and plans for the next decade  (Read 3013 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:13:24 »

The 2010 decade saw massive changes in our household and family group. Children now all married, becoming grandparents. Dad passing, and Lisa and I moving from full time running a business to semi-retirement. Over the last three years we've stepped down from three (including Dad's) to 2 (including a business premises) to one - where we hope to be stable for this decade and beyond.  And with that stepping down comes a great deal of simplification, of getting rid of things (though we are still stuffed here), and of paying off various loans so that we've got a lifestyle we can be comfortable with.

I wrote up notes for the above and as I did so overlooked "health". We've both had issues in the ten years and indeed neither of us enters 2020 as healthy as we entered 2010; inevitably these things crop up with the passing of time and the move to old age.  I already have a senior railcard, and get my senior bus card later this year. I hope we have some buses left to use it on!

Driving / mileage I said a couple of years back that I've "dropped from 30,000 to 3,000 miles a year". It's more like 1,000 now - to all intents and purposes limited to local trips using an electric car. My walking has been severely curtailed as it's now tiring and infrequent; disconnected public transport makes use of that very wasteful indeed of time.  For example, I spent all day away from home for a meeting (of one hour) 35 miles away in November.

2010 was the year that a handful of us passed a significant milestone in our quest for an appropriate train service for Melksham. We moved from being primarily a protest group with the requirement to raise profile to a partnership group where we worked with the rail industry and local government. And the TransWilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership) was so successful during the decade that the initial goal was achieved, and it moved on.  It was heartbreaking to part company with them in 2018, but they now have a paid professional staff with the training I lacked, and unencumbered by my conflicts of interest. I continue to work closely with the Melksham Rail Development Group - except it's renamed the Melksham Rail USER Group now as we actually have a lot of train users.

Some things don't change all that much ... this Coffee Shop forum has been remarkably stable over the years, no small thanks to the admin and moderator team, and is set (with updated) for the next decade.  What has changed here is the number of dear long term friends made, and the widening of Membership so that at almost any rail gathering in the South West there are likely to be some members present.  It's a very useful way of positively liaising across interested parties.

TravelWatch SouthWest is another positive liaison influence.  It meets twice a year to network and inform groups all the way from Gloucestershire and the Solent to Penzance, and between times to network, suggest, advise and consult. I was honoured to be approached to join their board, and indeed I was re-elected for a further three year period in November.  I do feel very much the junior member there - I do not have the technical knowledge, experience or ability to sort out things far ahead like is needed in transport advocacy, but yet I have contacts and can (and have) helped keep TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) busy - we had to put the "FULL" sign up for the last general meeting, such is the demand, but want to make sure that every group that wishes (and we can find) can routinely attend.

I was also elected to the National board of RailFuture last summer, but just for one year.  Their election process is a protracted one, and I'm not standing for a further term. I continue to support their aims wholeheartedly.

Our "Business Accommodation" (hotel) closed a couple of years back, but we remain open for IT courses – now with just Python and Tcl formally on the books.  Happy to provide legacy training in other languages such as Perl, but I now consider myself one of the active retired.  And, yes, I do some contract work still – keeping my hand in, if you like.

The "Well House Collection" - a Museum for Melksham - ran in the smaller training room, but has now moved to (and taken over) the larger room. Visitors are welcome at any reasonable time we're around by appointment.

Lisa and I had never taken more than 2 weeks away prior to last year... and indeed Lisa especially tended to be looking forward to be getting home by the end of any break.   But last year we pushed the boat out (almost literally – took a cruise) for the whole month of September, and this time we were not "dying to get home".  While we remain active, we have an eye open to take other opportunities; a huge thank you to Justin for looking after Billy and what were (at the time) our places - plural. Think it worked for everyone.

"Lisa and Graham" was a relationship that friends and contacts doubted would last when we met in 1996.  Hmmm ... the last ten years has proven those doubting people ever more wrong, not that we remain in that same Newsgroup circle - or indeed that it remains very much in existence.  And barring the ravages of time which are bound to take one or both of us eventually, we'll still be strong, in love and loving each other, and together when I write in 2030. But yet, time does pass; there's a hole in our hearts, and a tear in my eye when my mind turns to our "Gyp" who passed at the very start of May.  Yet she's still with us in spirit, as is Dad and others who have passed during the decade.

I am going to move on.  As ever (it seems) I have a list a mile long. In fact, I wonder how I ever had the time to do a job. Happy new decade, everyone.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 22:09:24 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:36:08 »

We are so grateful to all your activities and expertise in the Melksham Rail User Group. The last 10 years now has a lasting legacy of regular trains.
Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 12:27:15 »

2010 was the year that a handful of us passed a significant milestone in our quest for an appropriate train service for Melksham. We moved from being primarily a protest group with the requirement to raise profile to a partnership group where we worked with the rail industry and local government.
Yes indeed - and I have had the pleasure this decade of meeting you as the legend my husband spoke so admiringly of. FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) salutes you, Grahame!

As for next decade, I met the Mayor of Salisbury (dressed as Caesar Augustus) at the Crib service in Salisbury and put in a good word for Wilton Parkway. Friends of mine who live in Coombe Bissett "can't wait for" it: something we could achieve in the next decade?

Tina Biggs FOSBR (general@fosbr.org.uk)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: