Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:07:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to encourage people to ditch the car for other methods of transport  (Read 5139 times)
Bus_Lady

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:27:26 »

Natural England & the Environment Agency have warned 2020 will be "the last chance" to tackle climate change.

Zero progress has been made in reducing climate-harming emissions from the UK (United Kingdom)’s most polluting sector, according to new government figures. In 2017 levels of greenhouse gases from cars and other forms of transport did not fall at all. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/transport-pollution-greenhouse-gas-emissions-cars-climate-change-global-warming-a8763961.html

How can we encourage and get people to use non car transport more such as trains, buses, bikes or walk thus reducing their carbon footprint?

I was thinking how we can specifically target commuters as many of them near me over 95% of them travel to work with only 1 person in the car. Plus the pollution is always worse at rush hour. I am hoping to do some surveys this year to monitor this and get a percentage....
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:41:03 »

A new year, a new decade and a new member!  A very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:56:29 »

In answer to your question we probably have to start considering public transport as a service and not a competitive market place.

Trains competing with trains, buses and cars, buses competing with buses etc. is ludicrous in this situation.

Maybe with modern technology we can solve the problem of bus train conectons. We already track trains and there's a thread about tracking rail replacement buses maybe the systems could be integrated.

Proper bus train connections  would also help solve one of the other  big problems with invcreasing train travel, getting people to to and from the station. I'm lucky I can still walk and with lifts now installed on the Fourth Bridge it's even easier.

Estonia is maybe leading the way by making all public transport free.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:14:27 »

York seems to be taking a lead, aiming to ban cars from the city centre by 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-50957470
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 12:13:37 »

Inevitably it comes to the political courage of our elected representatives.

I can't see Reading following York's example. Every three years they go through the motions of discussing congestion charging and workplace parking levy, and then file it until the next time.

As an advocate of active travel, walking and cycling (as well as sustainable travel, buses and trains) you have to provide facilities which people feel safe and confident to use. Also they have to go where people want in a reasonably direct manner. It might be alright (?) for buses to go round the houses to pick up as many passengers as possible, but that won't work for walking and cycling.

It also requires a supportive attitude from central government. A previous SoS tried to get cycling classified as sport so that he didn't have to provide anything out of his budget. The GLA has a reasonable record for providing utility/commuter cycle facilities. They have also shown that restricting car usage and encouraging active travel doesn't automatically lead to reduced retail revenue.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 13:50:44 »

Rebuild the S&DJR (Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway) and I'd certainly use trains from Templecombe more frequently! While you're at it, Yeovil Town to Taunton, and Chard Junction to Taunton too.

My closest stations, Templecombe and Castle Cary are both on east/west lines. That isn't ideal for the regular journeys I make across Somerset. The car is the only practical method at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:45:36 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 14:08:01 »

As a bus driver, ironically I have to drive to work despite holding a staff pass for both the local trains (when in uniform only) and buses because neither fit with either an early start time or a late finish time. The buses can’t operate until after we’ve started or nobody would drive them and vice Versa at end of day!
A regular and 24/7 network would be the only way to get everyone out of cars and may still not be doable. Who’d pay for it for starts?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 15:07:42 »

Rebuild the S&DJR (Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway) and I'd certainly use trains from Templecombe more frequently!

I lot of people might think that's pie in the sky. But call it 'Western Powerhouse Rail' - providing a north-south link between the economic centres of Western Gateway STB at Bristol/Bath and Bournemouth-Christchurch-Poole - and it looks less fanciful. The up-front cost would be huge, possibly more than half what Crossrail cost, but the economic benefit for the region would almost certainly be far greater.         

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 16:01:19 »

How can we encourage and get people to use non car transport more such as trains, buses, bikes or walk thus reducing their carbon footprint?

I was thinking how we can specifically target commuters as many of them near me over 95% of them travel to work with only 1 person in the car. Plus the pollution is always worse at rush hour. I am hoping to do some surveys this year to monitor this and get a percentage....

I'm a bit of a well worn record on much of this ... decent frequency including into the evening, joined up network including co-ordination between operators and routes, excellent information (including reliable live data) interchangeable fares, enough capacity, friendly stations or bus stops.    Yes, it costs money - at least an initial investment but double the frequency in an appropriate route and in time you'll get more than twice the traffic up to a certain point.   Problem is that some (bus) services are so thin they're loosing money on what should even be a commercial route and doubling up just doubles the losses for a couple of years; there are places that's appreciated and dealt with but the who thing depends on seeing through the plan for five years and lots of the big bus operators are no longer doing too well and are looking at shorttermism and shareholder value. Witness some of the cuts we saw here in November.

Car sharing - https://www.connectingwiltshire.co.uk/getting-around/car/car-share/ for example - makes sense but it's too much hassle for some people, too much of a worry for others.  Not really taken off like it should.  If I could walk up to the main Chippenham road and thumb a lift - be sure to get a good and safe lift with a few minutes, and that became a standard we could see seat occupancy in cars rise from the current figure which I suspect is around 1.2 to (say) 1.5 or 1.6 - doesn't sound much, but that's 1 car in every 4 or 5 not travelling.

And ... why are we travelling so much anyway? 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 20:57:43 »

Tis a good point, why do we seem to travel continually. Take a look at any motorway, anytime of day, any day of the year and you will see a constant stream of cars. I guess one answer is because we can.

I don't think we can completely eradicate private car use, I think it should be more about when it is appropriate to use a car. It's far too easy a choice at the moment over other types of road based public transport. Somebody travelling to their regional town/city centre in a large urban area, public transport should be the choice to do this, and there is the key word, choice. At the moment there isn't the choice even for many that live in suburban areas.
As I've pointed out before, in urban areas buses simply aren't enticing enough for those heading to work, with the distance between stops, waiting for each individual to board or alight and sitting in the same queue that you would in a car all being factors that may affect decisions. An overhaul of the way buses operate is long overdue (also some route protection from the axe of an operator themselves). If you consider the standard bus network in my town, since the end of the trolleybuses in 68 and the removal of conductors in the mid 70's the way the buses operate hasn't changed in the slightest, with people boarding still required to be validated by the driver. There have been industry improvements in the vehicles, data available and ticketing but these still don't make it appeal to many. There is something quite temporary and untrusting about public transport without infrastructure. Likewise, local councils ideas about what type of persons buses are for rather than considering them for use by everybody has an effect and additional bus stops or route doubling back can often be added to win votes. I remember a particular diversion on a route for one bus stop which led to many on the rest of the route no longer using it. A compromise must be involved and it must be admitted by operators and authorities that some effort is required to use public transport.
Put simply, government funding for transport for the next ten years should be aimed at local (last mile if your using a train to some other town/city) travel around urban areas rather than focusing on interurban, long milage daily travel. Some form of policy needs to be arranged, and a common set of rules to follow for setting out transport, such as a minimum bus stop distance.
There are much wider factors that the government could look at as well, such as how easy is it to purchase particular goods where people live in their towns, how easy is it to reach the schools and other amenities on foot. Too many modern housing estates are built with no local shopping parade etc. leading to people to make the choice of doing things by car as soon as they have moved in. If you take a look at the large inter and post war housing estates in many places, they all generally have the local shopping parade that still works very well.

With regards to buses connecting with trains, which trains from different places/directions would you choose to connect with? Surely somebody would have to wait if they came from the opposite direction to the majority which would stifle particular journeys. In the town, higher frequency routes to major points with the possibility of a walk at the end are certainly more appealing to the average than low frequency routes taking people to their front door. Reading's crosstown 17 is a fantastic example of this. Solidly running the same route since the trolleybuses (and trams before that) it has become a Reading institution, the model other routes should be following. In fact because it hasn't changed route since the trolleys it is probably worth electrifying again, as 50 years of diesel has been burnt running it since the end of trolleys. It always appears to me that we had urban public transport right before so we should just do that again.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 23:04:25 »

You touch on so many good points ... I would be up adding my view and commenting until after midnight if I wasn't careful.

Have you come across Transport for New Homes?
https://www.transportfornewhomes.org.uk/about/transport-for-new-homes-charter/

Connections at stations ... looking not at Reading (which has quite a few trains) but rather at places where the trains are less than frequent, if you can fix it for the bus to call from its distant destination about 5 minutes before the train, go off and pick up / drop off around the local housing area, then visit the station again around 5 minutes after the train as it heads back towards the far end of its route.   Sounds idealised, but I've seen it done with great effect from Axminster to Seaton and Beer ... and it could / should work for Melksham too now that the train tables are set for a few year.   I'll be writing a lot more about Melksham's buses later this month.

There was a joke that you don't run for the bus if you see it at the stop in either London or Bristol. In London, that's because there will be another one along, and in Bristol it's because it will still be at the stop when you walk over.   Bit unfair these days (on Bristol) as so much effort has gone into speeding up ticketing but still a ring of truth.   And this slow load together with congestion means you need more vehicles on the route to get the desired frequency ... ironically more again if the service gets busy and there are more passengers to check on.  You have to wonder whether the Luxemboug / Estonia solution could be applied (free public transport travel) ... the cost of counting / collecting and the effect on vehicles needed must eat a fair chunk.

The free public transport option would also, I suspect, change the mindset of a substantial number of people and encourage its use. Evidenced by the number of seniors who tell me "I can't use the bus because it's before 09:30" when really they could ... just pay like the rest of us.  The model does not mix well with the operation of commercial bus services, though ... I went up to Chippenham on the bus just before Christmas when my train was cancelled and it cost me more than twice the train fare - not cheap.  And then the bus was over 15 minutes late but of course had I put in a "delay repay" claim I would have been laughed at.

I need my sleep .. but there is a lot to do here to put the bus world to rights and there's talk of some of it and perhaps opportunities.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:39:09 »

I think there needs to be a difference in style of use depending on the circumstances of each place, different tiers of local transport if you like. Of course what Melksham/Trowbridge/Chippenham will need is going to be different to Swindon for example. The standard one person operated bus will still have it's uses but we need a level above that in larger places, or possibly between the towns of west central Wiltshire.

In Reading, if it was up to me, I would go for trolleybuses on perhaps five crosstown routes, trams in an ideal world, but trolleybuses are far more affordable for a place of Reading's size and just as permanent with obvious infrastructure. All routes would be off vehicle ticketing, frequency would be high, stops would be to the same design across town, able to accommodate more than one vehicle and spaced evenly, and simple interchange on platforms in the town centre between the routes, with as little one way sections as possible to avoid confusion. The design of vehicles, be they single or double deck, would be different to the design of regular buses to identify that the mode doesn't work in the same manner (although ticketing would be interchangeable). The routes would run along main corridors and avoid snaking around small estates and most would potentially finish at park and ride sites of key traffic generators or even rail station in a couple of locations. This would put most average people in the urban area of Reading a ten minute walk from a main route, similar to the 17. The lesser frequency, but equally as necessary, routes would run a regular OPO style avoiding the trolley routes where possible, and all start from a common town centre point.
A similar arrangement could work for connecting smaller town such as Trowbridge and Melksham together, although maybe not trolleybuses, charging point battery buses might be more useful on something like this. The point is, at the moment, whether its in a big city or connecting small towns together, buses all work the same way even though they deal with different requirements and levels of service. It's about time another tier was slotted into the gap between the railway and buses.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 07:52:25 »

Hear, hear RG!

Dear Dominic Cummins

In response to your request for some new people with fresh ideas to regenerate the Civil Service can I make a recommendation for DfT» (Department for Transport - about)......
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 15:46:15 »

We thought of ditching the car today to visit Stonehenge.  A quick look at NRE(resolve) gave a return fare for 2 of £38 with railcards from Severn Tunnel Jn, which didn't seem bad, and with National Trust membership we can get in free.  Great! A cheap(ish) day out. But we soon decided to drive when we saw we would be charged a further £32 return for the 10 mile bus trip to the Stones from Salisbury. Ouch!

Maybe if this was an obscure tourist attraction that might be justified, but for a world famous attraction with over 1.5m visitors a year it seems like excessive profiteering. Surely it's an obvious service to have through ticketing with the railways, with cheaper through fares and railcards valid too to encourage modal shift.  (It might even encourage Russian visitors to extend their stay beyond admiring the spectacle of the tallest cathedral spire in Europe too.)

P.S. English Heritage could make the shuttle buses from the visitor centre electric too, as the low speed stop start operation must be very inefficient and emissions heavy.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 16:21:56 »

...  Great! A cheap(ish) day out. But we soon decided to drive when we saw we would be charged a further £32 return for the 10 mile bus trip to the Stones from Salisbury. Ouch!

Maybe if this was an obscure tourist attraction that might be justified, but for a world famous attraction with over 1.5m visitors a year it seems like excessive profiteering. Surely it's an obvious service to have through ticketing with the railways, with cheaper through fares and railcards valid too to encourage modal shift.  (It might even encourage Russian visitors to extend their stay beyond admiring the spectacle of the tallest cathedral spire in Europe too.) ...

It's a bus service that's operated commercially and the operator is free to set fares at whatever level the market will stand. The idea being that if the operator sets the fare too high, another commercial operator could start competing and market forces will control the price. There's a suspicion that other buses in the area - (the X5 from Salisbury which passes though Amesbury and then 2 miles east of Stonehenge on its way to Pewsey, Marlborough and Swindon, and the 2 from Salisbury which passes 2 miles west of Stonehenge) run by the same operator - intentionally don't run via Stonhenge because they offer lower local fares.

I have taken a very close look at the "2" in the past.   Starting from Devizes, location of a superb archaeological museum that attract visitors with the same interests as those who visit Stonehenge, it takes the A360 which is the road that actually passes the visitor's centre on the way to Salisbury.  In runs though Potterne, West Lavington, Tilshead and Shrewton ... but then branches off on a more minor road a couple of miles short of Stonehenge, crosses the A303 at a truly awful junction, then runs down to join the A36 to enter Salisbury via Wilton, sharing that route section with First's D1 and the local bus too.

The 2 receives a substantial subsidy.  Depending on how you look at it:

* It cannot run via Stonehenge because that would be a supported service competing with a commercial one

* The 2 as a local service would either undercut the tour bus or need to charge the locals far higher fares were it to run via Stonehenge

* If the 2 ran via Stonehenge, it would generate a lot of Devizes - Stonehenge traffic which would reduce the subsidy its operator could claim

All good reasons from a bus operator's viewpoint to keep the two service separate - even if doing so persuades more people to drive. The bus industry struggles enough to scrape a living without giving up a cash cow like this, doesn't it?  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: