I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:23:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 - TransWilts cancellation and amendment log  (Read 49481 times)
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2020, 21:01:43 »

It appears that a road vehicle has struck one of the bridge parapets (road over rail) and knocked some of the masonry onto the track before leaving the scene without reporting the damage and obstruction.  Angry
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 21:10:48 by RA » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2020, 21:15:33 »

It appears that a road vehicle has struck one of the bridge parapets (road over rail) and knocked some of the masonry onto the track before leaving the scene without reporting the damage and obstruction.  Angry

That would seem logical ... it's an "interesting" bridge ... https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/18293127.railway-bridge-collapses-train-goes-near-melksham/

I started a separate thread ... https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/18293127.railway-bridge-collapses-train-goes-near-melksham/ and http://www.passenger.chat/23016 . In hindsight that may be overdoing it, as it sounds like trains will be running again in the morning.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2020, 21:39:12 »

Further text in the Gazette and Herald

ENGINEERS are clearing rubble from the railway line after a vehicle struck a bridge near Melksham.

A Great Western Railway service on its way from Chippenham to Warminster hit the stones at around 7.20pm, damaging the front of the train.

Network Rail hopes to have the line reopened by the morning rush hour. A damaged wall by the steel bridge is being rebuilt.

'Panic'

Passengers on the Warminster-bound service spoke of their shock at feeling the train "steer off the tracks".

Tracey Hannam, who joined the train at Chippenham, said: “I felt the train steer off the tracks.

“There was a really loud noise like the train was going to go over.

“A lot of us in our carriage held on to something and put our heads down.

“You just start panicking because you think the worst is going to happen.

“I’ve been travelling this route for six years and nothing like this has ever happened.”

Tracey works for the RSPCA in Chippenham and was travelling home to Trowbridge. She added: “It was very scary. I usually get an earlier train home from work but I stayed late today.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 16:16:20 »

16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:07
16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:07 will be starting late from Westbury.
This is due to train crew being delayed by service disruption.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2020, 07:04:01 »

06:11 Swindon to Westbury due 06:53

06:11 Swindon to Westbury due 06:53 is being delayed between Chippenham and Melksham and is now expected to be 12 minutes late.
This is due to congestion.

2 track now  Grin Grin (or passing loop(s) or whatever helps get all the freight and an hourly or better passenger train through!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2020, 06:21:44 »

08:20 Westbury to Swindon due 09:03
09:12 Swindon to Westbury due 09:52
10:44 Westbury to Swindon due 11:28
11:41 Swindon to Westbury due 12:21
14:50 Westbury to Swindon due 15:34
15:46 Swindon to Westbury due 16:26

08:20 Westbury to Swindon due 09:03 will be cancelled.
This is due to a short-notice change to the timetable.
Further Information
Following discussions with Government and the wider rail industry, Great Western Railway is reducing services to reflect national advice against non-essential travel, while maintaining services critical to keeping key workers moving during the current situation.

Posted to the log with no analysis of the particular choices made on the TransWilts - separate subject(s) ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2020, 15:28:12 »

15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55
15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55 is being delayed at Swindon.
This is due to trespassers on the railway.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2020, 16:11:28 »

16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:07
16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:07 will be starting late from Westbury.
This is due to a fault on this train.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2020, 08:23:35 »

07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:24
07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:24 has been delayed at Westbury and is now 26 minutes late.
This is due to train crew being delayed.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2020, 18:24:45 »

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21 will be cancelled.

20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26

20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26 will be cancelled.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2020, 08:01:46 »

Each month, I consolidate data from http://www.mrug.org.uk/record.html into a Melksham specific report for TransWilts. I did wonder what I should do for April; in the absence of feedback or change requests, I simply carries on - it makes sense to do so, as it means that statistical series will be complete in the future.  Unusually, though, I am posting my report summary here as well as emailing it in, as it provides some useful indicators and some news from the line - such news is scarse from any service at the moment right across the UK (United Kingdom) as there simply aren't passengers on the trains and buses to report in anything like the normal numbers.

Another calendar month [April 2020] has ended - but a very different one.  For what it’s worth and in the absence of requests otherwise, we have continued to log Melksham train performance against the timetable as being advertised on the day on the WEBTIS screen at the station, which we are able to view remotely. (Summary paragraphs follow, raw data below)

About 486 services in the original timetable (may be inaccurate due to Easter public holiday)
348 services scheduled to call at Melksham during April 2020 on modified timetable
316 ran on time, 20 were slightly late, 10 were 5 minutes or more late, 2 were cancelled.

We have lost incredibly few service in the emergency timetable - probably because the line already has a very thin service which would be useless with cuts, the line provides an operation and key worker service, and there's nothing really left to cut as it's now a single train operation.

Most (but not all) of the people I know who use the TransWilts service are not using it at present - in line with goverment guidelines and rules, and common to all GWR (Great Western Railway) services. The little 'intelligence' I have talks of trains with just a handful of people, but loadings per carriage actually remains slighlty higher (on tiny numbers) than many / most(?) other GWR services.

99.4% of services ran (excellent month; a rare example of meeting target)
96.5 ppm - again an excellent (even superb) figure.
In summary - the rail infrastrucure is no longer overoaded with services, and there are plenty of trains and crews.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2020, 06:20:44 »

From yesterday (on Twitter, public tweet):

@GWRHelp
thanks for not opening the doors at Trowbridge station at 05:23 I loved my little stop off in Melksham and then an hour wait to go back to Trowbridge

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2020, 10:24:01 »

09:45 Westbury to Swindon due 10:34

09:45 Westbury to Swindon due 10:34 was terminated at Chippenham.

It will no longer call at Swindon.

This is due to animals on the railway.

11:05 Swindon to Westbury due 11:47

11:05 Swindon to Westbury due 11:47 will be cancelled.

This is due to animals on the railway.

Herd of cows on the line at Wootton Bassett Junction.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2020, 10:26:25 »

10:30 Chippenham to Westbury due 10:56

An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown

10:30 Chippenham to Westbury due 10:56.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:27 »

10:30 Chippenham to Westbury due 10:56

An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown

10:30 Chippenham to Westbury due 10:56.

Logical to get the train back to Westbury ... expect it to be ultra-safe (no passengers) as it's running some 50 minutes ahead of the train cancelled in the timetable.   

Reports to me are very very thin at present, but the 09:45 Westbury to Swindon (which ran as far as Chippenham) is carrying passengers. The 11:05 back much less so (educated guess - no report)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: