Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:14:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 - TransWilts cancellation and amendment log  (Read 49466 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2020, 06:39:18 »

Here’s the culprit.

The overnight train from Penzance failed at Chippenham and had to be rescued by the loco which would have met it at Reading.

Seen here passing Swindon nearly three hours late.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2020, 06:45:58 »

Here’s the culprit.

The overnight train from Penzance failed at Chippenham and had to be rescued by the loco which would have met it at Reading.

Seen here passing Swindon nearly three hours late.

Ironic that I'm giving a short talk today where this is relevant.  May I use the picture(with credit?) please?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:24 »

Of course. If you do need a higher quality version let me know. 

On topic:  The return service from Swindon to Westbury is running 25 minutes late - but it IS running.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2020, 07:11:38 »

Of course. If you do need a higher quality version let me know. 

On topic:  The return service from Swindon to Westbury is running 25 minutes late - but it IS running.

Thanks ... 'just' a small image but what a classic illustration of how trains that have nothing to do with the residents in the area get in the way of local trains.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2020, 04:56:41 »

06:37 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids due 08:44
07:04 London Paddington to Paignton due 10:15
08:04 London Paddington to Penzance due 13:07

07:04 London Paddington to Paignton due 10:15 will be diverted between Reading and Taunton.
It will no longer call at Newbury and Pewsey.
This is due to engineering works not being finished on time

Effect on local services not yet known ... but it looks like some main line services from London to the West Country are coming through that fine-fettled but low-capacity section between Chippenham and Trowbridge.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:16 »

Effect on local services not yet known ... but it looks like some main line services from London to the West Country are coming through that fine-fettled but low-capacity section between Chippenham and Trowbridge.

07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19 will be cancelled.
This is due to engineering works not being finished on time.

08:44 Swindon to Westbury due 09:25
09:45 Westbury to Swindon due 10:34
11:05 Swindon to Westbury due 11:46

It feels like other trains getting in the way is becoming a daily occurrence!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2020, 08:38:27 »

Delays to services between Chippenham and Swindon
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Chippenham and Swindon fewer trains are able to run on all lines.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:00 14/08.
Further Information
Owing to problems with the signalling system in the Chippenham area a reduced frequency of train service will operate to and from Chippenham and Bath Spa.
If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay

Looks like alternate London <-> Bristol services missing out Chippenham and Bath Spa so I'm guessing single line working from Royal Wootton Bassett to Thingley.  No reports on JourneyCheck of any delays to TransWilts services which is a pleasant change from what I would have expected to see. And when they're about they'll give extra Chippenham to Swindon service about the hourly anyway.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:12 »

Service thinned out with some Bristol/London trains going via Hullavington along with freight were possible.

Remaining ones sharing the westbound line between Thingley and Wootton Bassett junctions.

Now if there was only reversible signalling on the Berks & Hants route there would be far fewer diversions via Melksham.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2020, 13:38:24 »

Delays to services between Chippenham and Swindon
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:00 14/08.

Ongoing ...

Alterations to services between Chippenham and Swindon
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Chippenham and Swindon fewer trains are able to run on all lines.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 10 minutes or diverted. Disruption is expected until 15:00 14/08.

At least the way the diversions are being routed with alternate London - Bristol and vice versa trains missing out Chippenham and Bath Spa, there's always going to be a train within the hour.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 13:55:26 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2020, 13:55:43 »

13:14 Swindon to Westbury due 13:55 has been delayed at Swindon and is now 29 minutes late.
This is due to a fault with the signalling system earlier today.
Disabled toilet facilities are not available.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2020, 21:35:45 »

NOT a delay - a reminder (just one of many occasions) of when Melksham is on the main line to and from the West Country

16:15 Penzance to London Paddington due 21:40
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington due 21:40 will be diverted between Westbury and Reading.
It will no longer call at Pewsey and Newbury.
It will be delayed due to the diversion and is expected to be 10 minutes late.
This is due to a broken down train.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2020, 21:42:57 »

Not sure I follow that.  It was fractionally early at Westbury but 23 minutes late at Reading. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2020, 21:46:50 »

Not sure I follow that.  It was fractionally early at Westbury but 23 minutes late at Reading. 

I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of the local trains

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2020, 22:06:45 »

But it passed through Melksham around 20:40 so I can’t see it delayed anything else?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2020, 06:42:41 »

But it passed through Melksham around 20:40 so I can’t see it delayed anything else?

It had been a long day ... poor wording on my part of an unusual post on this thread.  Unusual not because diversions are unusual (it's already happened on a number of days this month - I think this is the 4th) but because I chose to record it here as an example.

No TransWilts trains were delayed or cancelled by this diversion of a Penzance to Paddington train from Westbury via Swindon, including over the single line railway from Bradford Junction to Thingley Junction.   

I estimate the diverted train passed through the station of Melksham at 20:38, and in the gap between the 18:55 call of the final Westbury to Swindon and the 21:10 final Swindon to Westbury.  No delay. Even with an extra southbound call at 19:15 and an extra 19:50 northbound call, currently suspended because of a continued thinning out of services because of Coronavirus, there would have been no delays.  Freight trains passed through at 19:32 and 20:06 - again, no operational conflict in the area.

The 16:15 Penzance to Paddington was on time at Westbury, but 23 minutes late at Reading due to being diverted, and missed out calls at Pewsey and Newbury.  That's around 10 to 15 minutes more delay picked up than would have happened on a run totally free of other trains, and I suspect it had to wait to be threaded through Thingley, Royal Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Foxhall and Didcot ... or got caught behind one of those freight trains that was around.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: