Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:06 London Paddington to Newbury
09:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
09:14 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
09:32 Maidenhead to Marlow
10:00 Marlow to Maidenhead
10:38 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
08:38 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
08:46 Newbury to London Paddington
08:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
10:06 London Paddington to Newbury
10:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
10:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:52 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
07:57 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 09:27:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - the dissenting report  (Read 7129 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2020, 00:54:01 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

There is "overwhelming evidence" that the costs of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) are "out of control" and its benefits overstated, the deputy chair of its review panel has said.

Lord Berkeley said the high-speed rail line, linking London and northern England, is likely to cost over £108bn.

A vocal critic of HS2, the Labour peer said he believed MPs (Member of Parliament) had been "misled" about the price - set at £55bn in 2015.

He has published a "dissenting report" on the project, but the government said it represented his personal view.

Trains are due to start running on HS2 between London and Birmingham in 2029.

However, Lord Berkeley says there is little prospect of that before 2031, and warns high speed trains will not reach Manchester and Leeds until 2040.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:55:34 »

Interview with Lord Berkeley will be on Sky news at 08:30am on Sunday morning.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 13:23:44 »

Darn - missed it. Never mind.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 13:33:24 »

Confirmed what most people suspect....out of control.

https://news.sky.com/story/hs2-costs-are-out-of-control-and-could-spiral-to-107bn-lord-warns-11901105
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 14:31:16 »

Or to put it another way: repeated what he always says.

Do most people suspect this project is out of control?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 16:16:19 »

Or to put it another way: repeated what he always says.

Do most people suspect this project is out of control?

Most people (outside of the railway bubble) who are used to having to observe the discipline of on time/within budget are utterly incredulous about the spiralling cost of this project, and I think it's reasonable to say that to go from £55bn to £88bn to well over £100bn suggests that it's out of control - these are colossal amounts of money.

I appreciate that massive overruns/overspends are par for the course in the rail industry (I give you Crossrail as just one other example amongst many), however we don't all have the luxury of shrugging our shoulders over such issues, and/or shooting inconvenient messengers by default.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 16:51:14 »

Most people (outside of the railway bubble) who are used to having to observe the discipline of on time/within budget...

Well that's tightened the definition of 'most people' to exclude... er, well, in fact that's probably excluded most people.

...we don't all have the luxury of shrugging our shoulders over such issues, and/or shooting inconvenient messengers by default.

Tony Berkeley is long-standing critic of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). If he'd suddenly changed his mind and backed HS2, that would be news. This isn't.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 17:00:11 »

Most people (outside of the railway bubble) who are used to having to observe the discipline of on time/within budget...

Well that's tightened the definition of 'most people' to exclude... er, well, in fact that's probably excluded most people.

...we don't all have the luxury of shrugging our shoulders over such issues, and/or shooting inconvenient messengers by default.

Tony Berkeley is long-standing critic of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). If he'd suddenly changed his mind and backed HS2, that would be news. This isn't.

Well that's selective quoting for you.

I fully appreciate and respect that you regard HS2 as a sacred cow, irrespective of cost, and that anyone expressing an opinion which challenges this is by default regarded as a heretic.

It's entirely possible of course that you are better informed than the likes of Tony Berkeley, and if so, and the project comes in on budget and on time, I will be the first to acknowledge it - I'm sure you will be gracious enough to do the same should the alternative scenario materialise?

I'd be interested in your rebuttal of the findings of Lord Berkeley's report - it's been widely publicised today.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 17:23:11 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 18:25:48 »

Indeed.

I fully appreciate and respect that you regard HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) as a sacred cow, irrespective of cost, and that anyone expressing an opinion which challenges this is by default regarded as a heretic.

There are a number of aspects of this project which appear problematic, not least of which being that (according to some) possibly 30% of the cost is accounted for by over-engineering to reduce risk.

It's entirely possible of course that you are better informed than the likes of Tony Berkeley, and if so, and the project comes in on budget and on time, I will be the first to acknowledge it - I'm sure you will be gracious enough to do the same should the alternative scenario materialise?

It'll be astonishing if this project comes in on time or on budget. Big infrastructure projects don't tend to, leastwise not when the British Government have any involvement in the spec.

I'd be interested in your rebuttal of the findings of Lord Berkeley's report - it's been widely publicised today.

Publicised, but not published as far as I can see.

Interesting that even Tony Berkeley acknowledges a BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) of 0.6 for the project (source: Stop HS2). BCR calculations have a habit of being rather conservative.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 18:52:36 »

Indeed.

I fully appreciate and respect that you regard HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) as a sacred cow, irrespective of cost, and that anyone expressing an opinion which challenges this is by default regarded as a heretic.

There are a number of aspects of this project which appear problematic, not least of which being that (according to some) possibly 30% of the cost is accounted for by over-engineering to reduce risk.

It'll be astonishing if this project comes in on time or on budget. Big infrastructure projects don't tend to, leastwise not when the British Government have any involvement in the spec.

Publicised, but not published as far as I can see.

Interesting that even Tony Berkeley acknowledges a BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) of 0.6 for the project (source: Stop HS2). BCR calculations have a habit of being rather conservative.

So you're dismissing Lord Berkeley's report as "what he always says" without having read it.

He discussed much of it in the Telegraph today with a lot of analysis. Interesting that you cite a BCR of 0.6:1, which represents "poor value for money" by the Treasury definition.

Somewhat different to the figure of 2.3:1 quoted by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) in seeking approval for the project.

£33bn to £107bn in 10 years, completion drifted by 7 years already. Yep, all under control.  🙄
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 20:35:01 »

Today's Sunday Times has an article quoting Lord Berkeley as claiming that the report has exaggerated HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))'s benefits by assuming 18 trains an hour will run, "a feat not managed by any high-speed service in the world".

Apparently the report has revised down the financial benefits, once claimed to be £2.30 for every pound spent, to between £1.30 and £1.50.

I was a bit surprised that the review chairman, Douglas Oakervee, was once chairman of HS2. Perhaps a less-impartial chair would have been preferable, though I suppose it could be said that Berkeley provided a counterbalance.

I recall David Cameron, when launching HS2, being asked about the risk of the scheme going over-budget and his poo-pooing the notion - which prompted me to laugh derisively.

Marlburian
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 22:35:34 »

Most people (outside of the railway bubble) who are used to having to observe the discipline of on time/within budget are utterly incredulous about the spiralling cost of this project...

I posted a similar link a while ago that demonstrated the railway industry is no different to other industries in terms of big infrastructure projects and the chances of cost and delay implications to them.  Nine out of ten do worldwide.  But this article makes interesting reading:

http://cdn.roxhillmedia.com/production/email/attachment/730001_740000/ICE%20Report%20-%20Reducing%20the%20gap%20between%20cost%20estimates%20and%20outturns%20for%20major%20infrastructure%20projects%20and%20programmes.pdf

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 22:54:00 »

To quote the report II refers to:

The infrastructure which enabled the London 2012 games is considered a crowning success. A Comres poll for the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) a year after the event found that “two-thirds of the UK (United Kingdom) public believe that the £8.77bn cost of the London 2012 Olympics was worth the money, with 74% saying they would welcome the Games back.”

The initial cost estimate for the Olympics was £2.37 billion.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 23:06:32 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 22:55:13 »

Here is Tony Berkeley's report:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A8e9c8f87-2650-4aa0-8e0f-0eaf6e709640

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 09:26:52 »

To quote the report II refers to:

The infrastructure which enabled the London 2012 games is considered a crowning success. A Comres poll for the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) a year after the event found that “two-thirds of the UK (United Kingdom) public believe that the £8.77bn cost of the London 2012 Olympics was worth the money, with 74% saying they would welcome the Games back.”

The initial cost estimate for the Olympics was £2.37 billion.
The initial cost didn't envelope the general regeneration of the Lee Valley and infrastructure elements, and didn't include the tax (mainly VAT (Value Added Tax)) that the Olympic Delivery Authority would need to pay which would come back to the government anyway. What had been really undercooked in the original estimate were the security costs.

What was also included was a sizeable £2.7Bn of contingency which in the end wasn't quite all used up but not that far off.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: