Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:23:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line - 2020 cancellation and amendments log  (Read 49394 times)
brcw2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 09:14:02 »

The halts train, the 06:53 from Foregate Street, was cancelled at Evesham at 07:18 - but now seems to have restarted from there at 08:23.

Unfortunately, the GWR (Great Western Railway) app & website said it was restarting at 0835, not 0823 (and still says that now), so I got to Shipton 5 mins before it was due there (0906 - the platform display agreed) but 5 minutes after it actually stopped there according to the workmen on the platform. There's really not much point running an extra train if you're going to run it 10 minutes or so before you're advertising it. If I'd known, I'd have gone via Kingham or Charlbury, but I've now missed two trains from there thanks to the incorrect info.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:13 »

05:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 08:34 was terminated at Charlbury.
It will no longer call at Kingham, Moreton-In-Marsh, Honeybourne, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Malvern Link and Great Malvern.
It has been delayed at Oxford and is now 20 minutes late.

Nothing on JourneyCheck to suggest that the terminated 05:50 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains):GMV might be converted into an additional service to make up for the Oxford/London bound cancellations at the moment.

Realtime Trains suggests that a service departed from Charlbury at 07:47 and ran to Oxford.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 17:34:45 »

Going to be cosy on that two coach Turbo halts train this evening:

15:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 18:30 was terminated at Oxford.
It will no longer call at Hanborough, Charlbury, Kingham, Moreton-In-Marsh, Honeybourne, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Malvern Link and Great Malvern.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Last Updated:19/02/2020 16:57
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 18:23:53 »

and there goes another:

17:58 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 20:07 has been cancelled.
This is due to a broken down train.
Last Updated:19/02/2020 18:01
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:44 »

08:13 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington due 10:24 will be cancelled.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 08:04

10:50 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill due 13:04 will be cancelled.

A shortage of crew due to staff displacement resulting from the various problems this week or your usual half-term shortage of crew?
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 08:24:34 »

And earlier:
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington due 08:24 will be started from Great Malvern.
It will no longer call at Hereford, Ledbury and Colwall.
This is due to flooding.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 9.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 05:24

Cosy!
RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) reports the empty stock as arriving from Ledbury.

06:43 Hereford to London Paddington due 09:37 will be started from Worcester Shrub Hill.
It will no longer call at Hereford, Ledbury, Colwall, Great Malvern, Malvern Link and Worcester Foregate Street.
This is due to flooding.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 06:43

06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington due 08:40 is being delayed at Worcester Shrub Hill.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 06:58

RTT reports it as leaving 22 late.

06:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Didcot Parkway due 08:41 has been delayed at Worcester Foregate Street and is now 10 minutes late.
This is due to a problem currently under investigation.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 07:10

Could it be that the "problem under investigation" was the 06:43 Shrub Hill - Paddington?

charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 13:35:30 »

13:18 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington due 15:24 will be started from Oxford.
It will no longer call at Worcester Shrub Hill, Evesham, Honeybourne, Moreton-In-Marsh, Kingham, Charlbury and Hanborough.
Last Updated:20/02/2020 13:28
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2020, 15:46:00 »

I was thinking smugly to myself yesterday that my usual evening train had been pretty reliable during what hasn't been a very good week on the Cotswold Line...

15:20 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 17:40 will be terminated at Oxford.
It will no longer call at Hanborough, Charlbury, Kingham, Moreton-In-Marsh, Honeybourne, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street.
This is due to a speed restriction over defective track.
Last Updated:21/02/2020 15:13

This service actually arrived at Oxford just two minutes late so passengers waiting on the platform, as well as those turfed off the train, were frustrated and confused. The underlying issue seems to have been crew displacement leading to a replacement driver who was unable to take the train any further.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 17:44:02 by charles_uk » Logged
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2020, 13:25:50 »

Cancellations to services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Evesham and Worcester Shrub Hill all lines are blocked. Disruption is expected until 14:00 26/02.

Train services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford may be cancelled, delayed or revised.

Services being turned around at Moreton-in-Marsh or terminated at Oxford at the moment.

Although all lines had re-opened by around 2pm, the knock-on disruption has carried on into the evening:

Following a fault with the signalling system between Evesham and Worcester Shrub Hill all lines are now open. Disruption is expected until 19:30 26/02.

Train services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford are returning to normal but some services may still be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised.
Last Updated:26/02/2020 17:25
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 18:46:03 by charles_uk » Logged
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:31 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Evesham and Worcester Shrub Hill all lines are blocked. Disruption is expected until 14:00 26/02.

Train services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford may be cancelled, delayed or revised.

Services being turned around at Moreton-in-Marsh or terminated at Oxford at the moment.

Although all lines had re-opened by around 2pm, the knock-on disruption has carried on into the evening:

Following a fault with the signalling system between Evesham and Worcester Shrub Hill all lines are now open. Disruption is expected until 19:30 26/02.

Train services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford are returning to normal but some services may still be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised.
Last Updated:26/02/2020 17:25

I went to Worcester yesterday and the return journey back here to Bath, when the services were supposed to be returning back to normal, was a nightmare. My 2 hour journey became 5 and a half hours, largely due to the problems caused by this signalling issue, but later on by another signalling problem at Gloucester. There were many different problems during the journey, including information systems all being wrong or misleading, but the worst of all was the rail replacement bus service we had, which I will post about separately on the Rights and Redress thread.

While my journey was bad enough, and ruined my day, it was far worse for some of the other passengers. One man, who didn't speak English that well, was trying to get to Paddington from Worcester. Either he was put onto the replacement bus to Cheltenham or mistakenly found himself on it (from what I could see, it was never clear from the platform screens whether the Paddington train was running or not) but then found himself on the Penzance train from Cheltenham, as the platform screen at Cheltenham showed the Paddington train arriving first when it was in fact a Penzance train (and prior to that had shown the Penzance train arriving first when the first train to arrive was the Maesteg train). The Penzance train then stopped between Cheltenham and Gloucester for over half an hour, and the last I saw of him was his panic as he tried to find a staff member on the train. None ever showed up on the whole journey.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 08:42:43 »

Wednesday February 27:

10:50 Paddington - Shrub Hill : waited at Evesham (12:39 - 13:33), 68 late at Shrub Hill.
11:50 Paddington - Hereford : cancelled after Moreton-in-Marsh.
12:50 Paddington - Shrub Hill : waited at Evesham (14:46 - 15:34), 56 late at Shrub Hill.
13:50 Paddington - Great Malvern : waited at Evesham (15:40 - 16:04). Cancelled after Foregate Street (22 late).
14:50 Paddington - Foregate Street : started from Reading.
15:20 Paddington - Foregate Street : 19 late after Reading. Held at Wolvercote Junc'n. Cancelled at Shrub Hill (37 late).
15:50 Paddington - Great Malvern : Started from Oxford (20 late). Held at Evesham. Cancelled after Foregate Street (48 late).
17:03 Didcot - Moreton : OK

11:55 Great Malvern - Paddington : cancelled after Shrub Hill
13:18 Shrub Hill - Paddington : left Shrub Hill 63 late, waited at Norton Junction. 148 late from there. Cancelled after Oxford.
13:18 Hereford - Paddington : started from Shrub Hill (at 14:10, on time), ran 23 late, arrived 32 late.
15:20 Shrub Hill - Paddington : started 48 late. Held at Charlbury. Cancelled after Reading (72 late).
15:18 Hereford - Paddington : started from Shrub Hill 18 late. RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) loses track of it after Moreton to Didcot - probably two different trains.
16:30 Great Malvern - Paddington : started from Foregate Street.
17:27 Foregate Street - Paddington : OK
17:57 Foregate Street - Paddington : started from Shrub Hill 17 late. OK after Oxford.
17:28 Foregate Street - Paddington : OK.

All of which demonstrates charles_uk's point that
Although all lines had re-opened by around 2pm, the knock-on disruption has carried on into the evening.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 08:45:24 »

And I apologise to froome in that I'm (usually) only interested in the Cotswold Line trains. The same incident had hit the Worcester - Cheltenhams.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 10:21:54 »

And I apologise to froome in that I'm (usually) only interested in the Cotswold Line trains. The same incident had hit the Worcester - Cheltenhams.

No problem. It gave me a chance to realise what you have to put up with on such a regular basis, and to see the effects of the flooding in Worcester, which was dramatic.

I overheard one man who said his journey to Worcester (from I think just Cheltenham) had been delayed by one and three quarters hours. He was just going there for a work meeting which he had missed, had popped into the office to sort out matters and was heading back to his home office. He was one of the ones who made the decision to call his own taxi to get back, which as it turned out was wise.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 16:48:35 »

17:57 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington due 20:24 will be cancelled.
Last Updated:27/02/2020 15:48

20:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 23:10 will be cancelled.
Last Updated:27/02/2020 15:48
DavidT

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 19:18:34 »

Out of all the excuses GWR (Great Western Railway) uses to cancel trains the 'shortage of train crew' is the most frustrating. It's the job of management to run an efficient railway which means making sure there are crew for the trains. That's just basic.  It's not like it happens rarely. It's a daily occurrence somewhere on the network.  It's no good having comfortable trains and an improved timetable if the trains don't actually turn up. Management really should be ashamed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: