27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:39:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruption at Epsom  (Read 5722 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:15:09 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) have had a nightmare 24 hours in the Epsom area.

1. A fallen tree
South Western Railway Alert Service <noreply@nexusalpha.com> Unsubscribe
Sat, 14 Dec, 13:29 (19 hours ago)
 to me

Dear Customer,

A tree is blocking the railway between Epsom and Wimbledon and all lines are currently blocked.

Train services running through these stations may be changed. We anticipate disruption until the end of the day.

2. Points failure
Sat, 14 Dec, 20:07 (12 hours ago)
 to me

Dear Customer,

There is a points failure between Epsom and Worcester Park and all lines are blocked.

Engineers are en route to rectify the fault and reopen the line. Until this can be done trains booked to run between London Waterloo and Epsom will only run between London Waterloo and Motspur Park.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or changed.
We anticipate disruption until the end of the day.

3. Landslip
07:06 (1 hour ago)
 to me

Dear Customer,

We have been informed of a landslip between Epsom and Motspur Park. Engineers on site are working to rectify the issue.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Until further notice, the following alterations will be necessary:

-Services to Epsom from London Waterloo will terminate at Motspur Park

-Services from Epsom to London Waterloo will start from Motspur Park

To assist you with your journey, your ticket will be accepted, at no extra cost to yourself, on the following services:

-Southern services between Epsom and London Victoria

-TfL» (Transport for London - about) buses between Surrey and London Waterloo

We have arranged replacement buses to run on the following routes:

-Epsom to Motspur Park in both directions

Oh, and did I mention the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union is on strike as well?

I was planning to go Christmas shopping in Kingston today. It looks like I'll be taking the TfL bus to get there despite the 30 minute walk to the bus stop and the inevitable slow Christmas traffic. It's a better option than two rail replacement buses followed by two trains to get there. Sad
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 05:34:04 »

Uh Oh, it looks like my journey to work will be disrupted beyond the end of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike. It could take weeks to fix.  Sad

From Network Rail on twitter https://twitter.com/NetworkRailWssx/status/1206629055279353858?s=09
We’re really sorry to our passengers for the disruption. As you can see from this picture, the recent wet weather means the embankment beneath the tracks has slipped, therefore it’s not safe to run trains over the loose ground. Cont
@SW_help
5:35 PM · Dec 16, 2019
We’d like to tell our passengers when the railway will be open again, but due to the complex nature of the landslip, we simply cannot give a timescale just yet. Unfortunately it’s likely to be weeks rather than days. We will update you as works progress though
@SW_Help
 Cont
Network Rail Wessex
@NetworkRailWssx
·
Dec 16
Approx 30 metres of embankment have failed. Today we’ve isolated the affected signalling and telecoms cables from the debris and are installing remote monitoring sensors to check for any further movement.
@SW_Help
 Cont
Network Rail Wessex
@NetworkRailWssx
·
Dec 16
We had to wait for the ground to stop moving before we could safely begin work. Our engineers have started clearing the loose debris. Then they can focus on repairing the embankment.
@SW_Help
 Cont
Network Rail Wessex
@NetworkRailWssx
·
Dec 16
Work will also have to be done to fix the damaged points; the mechanical systems that guide trains from one track to another. Please continue to check http://nationalrail.co.uk or http://southwesternrailway.com/disruption before you travel.
Network Rail Wessex
@NetworkRailWssx
·
6h
Track side monitoring sensors have been installed to find out the impact on the stability of the embankment. Initial findings have shown that the slip has dropped slightly. Further readings will be taken which will help in repairing the embankment.
Network Rail Wessex
@NetworkRailWssx
·
4h
There has been minimal movement of the embankment today with further readings scheduled for tonight. Solutions to fix the embankment are being designed and work will continue to find the best option.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:19:57 »

Do I detect that some of the locals aren't happy about the number of trees that have been removed?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 09:30:51 »

Do I detect that some of the locals aren't happy about the number of trees that have been removed?

I suspect that implies too big a link of cause and effect - getting that kind of comment doesn't depend on any trees having been felled at all close to the site. There was publicity about a few trees removed at Epsom Downs station a couple of years ago, which is enough of a trigger. I can't see evidence of a campaign at this site.

I'd look more at the two big blocks of flats just built right up to the base of the embankment. They are about 100 m further along, but could well have disrupted underground water flow and that's all it takes to destabilise a steep embankment.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 20:26:22 by stuving » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 20:22:19 »

Surrey Live have put up a more user friendly report detailing the above at https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/epsom-rail-disruption-could-last-17436870
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:17:26 »

Network Rail have posted a video update

https://network-rail.wistia.com/medias/g2kj4i1pwh
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: