Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:49:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barton on Humber - plan to 'temporarily scrap all trains'  (Read 945 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 25, 2021, 14:17:13 »

From Planet Radio

The MP (Member of Parliament) for Cleethorpes has hit out at Northern Rail over plans to temporarily scrap all trains on the Barton Cleethorpes line.

The Governments asked operators to reduce their amount of services as passenger numbers remain low due to the pandemic.

Martin Vickers says he hopes there?ll be a rethink ?

Northern Rail says a replacement bus service will be put in place.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 14:28:35 »

I'm generally in favour of reducing services at the moment on many routes, but not cutting them completely.  Though a bus replacement is better than nothing of course.

More locally from today, for example, services through Oxford have been reduced from twice hourly to hourly between Oxford and Didcot, Oxford and Paddington and Oxford and Marylebone.  That also happened last Spring, but this time around services on other routes haven't been wiped out completely - there's still a decent service between Oxford and Banbury, and still a daily train (though earlier) serving the halts along the Cotswolds.

Last spring the country virtually shut down,  But now, with additional journeys such as people heading out on the train to get vaccinated, and more people needing/wanting to travel on essential journeys to and from work, I think it's important to retain at least some semblance of a service on all routes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 16:40:17 »

From a suggestion / input being worked on elsewhere (which, sadly in my view, was not unopposed there) I give you guidelines for temporary service reductions - taking a basket of services in my home area, this allowed for a 55% reduction in train diagrams.  The opposite view was that the community should do nothing to support, facilitate or advise any service reduction even on a temporary basis.
? - Local and regional journeys not to drop below hourly
? - Long distance journeys not to drop below every 2 hours 
? - Stations with local flows to have minimum hourly service
? - Low use stations with local flows to have minimum 2 hourly service 
? - Longer distance journeys can be rescheduled to serve extra intermediate stations 
? - Connections need to be maintained
? - Tickets to be accepted on alternative public transport
Ironically, the thinned out service connected where the timetabled that should be running didn't / doesn't and there would have been a very real risk that some journeys would be significantly improved.

The above makes common sense (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) and I don't see very much happening around here than goes against it.

Sitting, dangerously, in my armchair in the bottom left corner of England and looking towards the upper right, I have taken a look at the timetable as it 'should' be for Barton on Humber.  Looks like 2 train sets, with a total of 4 crews needed on Monday to Friday, 1 train set of Saturdays, and line closed on Sundays.   Basically it's 2 hourly with an odd extra (odd enough to have me wonder "why?").

One train set, Monday to Friday ... two crews ... and you loose that odd extra and one middle of the day train. Without an answer to that "why" I have or other local knowledge, and not knowing whether there are factors like high signal / crossing staff costs, I wonder at the total "temporary" annihilation and wonder what definition the authorities would care to put on 'temporary'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 16:44:43 »

You miss any consideration for staff availability (both train & NR» (Network Rail - home page))
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 16:57:02 »

You miss any consideration for staff availability (both train & NR» (Network Rail - home page))

How inconsiderate of me - (not).

Four crews per day down to 2 crews per day as stated.  Gap available by middle of day changes for personal needs breaks. As stated though, no data on signalling nor (but I did not comment / do not know) track and train maintenance  and servicing teams.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 17:05:13 »

Freight is very much king in that neck of the woods, so I don't think NR» (Network Rail - home page) staffing would be an issue (if we're still talking Cleethorpes to Barton?)

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 17:11:59 »

Why on earth not? They are human, so affected by the virus, just the same as you & me.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 20:43:11 »

The section affected is the single line between Haboough and Barton. There is still semaphore signalling on the line and two level crossings at Ulceby and Thornton Abbey plus some occupation rossings. There is at least one manual box that I observed when I was up there is 2018, suggesting some furloughed NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff as a result of the closure.

The rail connection to Immingham Docks leads off this line at Ulceby. I dont know how much use the line gets for freight these days but nothing is appearing on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for today.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 21:07:40 »

The section affected is the single line between Haboough and Barton. There is still semaphore signalling on the line and two level crossings at Ulceby and Thornton Abbey plus some occupation rossings. There is at least one manual box that I observed when I was up there is 2018, suggesting some furloughed NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff as a result of the closure.

The rail connection to Immingham Docks leads off this line at Ulceby. I dont know how much use the line gets for freight these days but nothing is appearing on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for today.

No sure of the line layout in the area or where trains get logged, but Ulceby itself looks like the Clapham Junction of Lincolnshire (or is that Humberside?) to me!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 21:29:24 »

Catching up on this ... https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/northern-explains-barton-line-timetable-decision

There are times I feel that 1984 double speak is here ... "timetable changes" indeed - Zeroed out!

TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 21:35:48 »

A Bus service might be a Improvement if it continued over the bridge to Hessle or Hull. When I travelled that way the connection was missed and I ended up paying for a taxi.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 21:55:53 »

No sure of the line layout in the area or where trains get logged, but Ulceby itself looks like the Clapham Junction of Lincolnshire (or is that Humberside?) to me!

Theres a technical term for this. Its called a cock-up in my part

I looked up RTT for Barton on Humber when I thought I had loked up Ulceby...

Why isnt there an "Ill Get Me Coat" smilie on this forum Embarrassed

Edit - by grahame - don't worry, Robin - we all do things like that at times.  Yeah - perhaps we could do with other emotions on here such as ... no, subject for elsewhere!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 22:21:07 by grahame » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 22:18:54 »

Looking wider, it would appear that Brigg and Kirton Lindsey aren't doing very well either ... not sure if the "amendment" there in 1993 which removed Monday to Friday services was supposed to be "temporary" but I suspect we have one or two members who know.    Saturday service now appears to have disappeared too and the ticket engine tells you it's a bad query to ask:

Very interestingly, you should NEVER get a 400 from a mistyped URL or broken link ... it indicates a web site problem and not a page that cannot be found - that should be a 404.

We know "Essential Journeys Only" at present.  I do recall when I was on this line (one Saturday 18 months ago) that in amongst the day trippers there were a number of people headed out to shops - that they could only shop on a Saturday and how vital that train was ... memorable trip on the second most jammed train I was on all week.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: