Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:43:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Airport stations - a bus ride too far from the away?  (Read 5390 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:14:14 »

From the Yorkshire Post

A senior politician in Leeds has claimed a planned rail station serving Leeds Bradford Airport would be “too far” from the site.

Updated plans to revamp transport links to the airport and nearby sites – including a new road and a “parkway” airport rail station – were unveiled by Leeds City Council last month.

However, the leader of the authority’s Conservatives group Coun Andrew Carter has complained those using the station would have to complete their journey by bus and called for more “ambitious” solutions.

Southampton and Gatwick Airport stations "work" ... Teesside Airport station does not. What about Cardiff Airport's Rhoose station, or the effectiveness in passenger numbers / taking a substantial proportion of traffic of the Rail Air links at Exeter or Bristol?

Does it matter anyway - are we going to head back from the age of the plane to the age of the train?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:50:48 »

Luton works so well that the buses can't cope (even at 10min intervals - and their building a Birmingham airport-style people mover.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:49:13 »

In the case of Leeds/Bradford (LBA) we are probably looking at the usual lack of ambition and/or finance on the part of both local & national government. A brief glance at the map shows that a spur from the Leeds<>Harrogate line just south of the southern portal of Bramhope tunnel would provide a fairly clear - but possibly NIMBY enraging - run to the airport terminal. Given the preponderance of farmland along the route perhaps a cut & cover tunnel for most of it would be appropriate. I would regard a 'parkway' station as an utter waste of time and money.

However, as has already been mentioned, would this be a sensible use of taxpayer moolah? LBA is not that busy and passenger numbers seem to have plateaued at around 4m (2017/18 figures). This means that each flight carries an average of 104 pax, most flights being operated by Ryanair / Jet2 737-800's which seat 189 so the load factors look not that great (Warning: Back of a fag packet calculation). With the forthcoming Northern Powerhouse Rail / HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) (don't hold your breath) developments I suspect the roughly daily BA» (British Airways - about) flights to/from LHR might be for the chop and Ryanair are cutting routes over the next 3 months. Most of the passenger traffic appears to be package holiday related and this is very likely to be affected by future government action over climate change concerns.

What seems to be missing is a proper survey of LBA passengers which asks pertinent questions concerning whether they would use an airport rail link if one was provided; I can only find documents relating to a 2016 Leeds City Council consultation which dealt solely with road access upgrades. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 11:16:51 »

Southampton and Gatwick Airport stations "work" ... Teesside Airport station does not. ...

Plans to change that.  From Tees Business

Tees Valley mayor Ben Houchen has announced plans to invest £6m into the redevelopment of the railway station at Teesside International Airport, as part of plans to invest almost £40m to improve transport across Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool.

Mayor Houchen is seeking to secure additional service stops at Teesside International Airport railway station as part his 10-year rescue plan and has vowed to upgrade facilities so the station matches his long-term vision for a thriving airport.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 14:48:59 »

Bemused by the following paragraph from the specified Tees Business article:

'The funding would allow initial improvement work at the station to begin, including the removal of a platform and the existing footbridge, before further upgrades can take place.'

If that is not a massive typo of some kind, I would struggle to understand how such actions would provide any benefit. Looking at the current station layout it seems to me that provision of lifts - has it escaped the Teesside mayor's notice that air passengers often have fairly heavy luggage? - would be the obvious first step.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 21:13:40 »

picked up ... BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) for example.

Little-used Teesside Airport railway station gets £6m boost

I am one of the handful of people who took the train to Teesside Airport Station last year ... the walked to the next station at Dinsdale rather than waiting for the next train that called.  I was the only person to get off the train (and the train manager was surprised to see me) an no-one got on.

There are two timber-built platforms and a footbridge connecting them, but the footbridge is considered unsafe and has (or, rather "had") a Network Rail chain across it, declaring it closed.  The far platform itself looked to be in non-bad order, with a waiting shelter in which could be seen the station's payphone. The platform on which I got off is just that - a platform.

The slope down off the platform leads to a turning circle ... although hansomely protected by double yellow lines, I suspect that road vehicles are as rare as calling trains.  The place has an air of abandonment, the walk to the terminal too.  And the terminal - though appearing better and open - was blocked off by a high wire fence and a locked gate, so had I been going for a flight I would have been scuppered.   A further walk took me up to the roundabout at the airport entrance - where I came out of the industrial entrance and there's anther newer and far smarter one to the terminal.

Some of my pictures from 2nd June 2019

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 21:29:24 »

How ironic that BBC2 has just had Teeside Airport on Qi ...

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 17:25:29 »

Southampton and Gatwick Airport stations "work" ... Teesside Airport station does not. What about Cardiff Airport's Rhoose station, or the effectiveness in passenger numbers / taking a substantial proportion of traffic of the Rail Air links at Exeter or Bristol?

Southampton and Gatwick both work (also Birmingham) because the station is actually at the airport. People will use airport stations only if the trip from platform to checkin does not involve another link in the transport chain - so walking a short distance and/or escalators are OK (I count the link at Brum as an escalator for this purpose), but a bus or taxi for the last bit is not. The logic is that if I’d wanted to do a bus for the last bit I would have parked and used the shuttle from the car park.

Bristol is an interesting one. Uniquely among airports, it is not convenient even for Bristol. I have no idea how much of the bus traffic from Temple Meads transfers from rail and how much originates there - mostly the latter, I suspect.

By the same token, the absurd failure to put in westward-facing curves from the Heathrow spur to the GWML (Great Western Main Line) (not once, but twice) would never have happened elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 22:05:30 by JontyMort » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 21:16:09 »

By the same token, the absurd failure to put in westward-facing curves to the GWML (Great Western Main Line) (not once, but twice) would never have happened elsewhere.

Am I the only one who does not understand this?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 21:43:19 »

By the same token, the absurd failure to put in westward-facing curves to the GWML (Great Western Main Line) (not once, but twice) would never have happened elsewhere.

No - I'm scratching my head too.   Only briefly, as I've been busy on the buses today.

Looking now, guessing,  Airport Junction?

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 22:04:00 »

No - I'm scratching my head too.   Only briefly, as I've been busy on the buses today.

Looking now, guessing,  Airport Junction?

Apologies, I meant Heathrow as you surmised. Now edited to make clear.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:35 »

Doncaster Sheffield Airport set for £10million expansion and could be given its own railway line according to their local press.  The article below is a little confused as it refers to the project being "shovel ready" yet also points out that there is still much bureaucracy to be sorted out.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/doncaster-sheffield-airport-set-ps10million-expansion-and-could-be-given-its-own-railway-line-1381546
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 20:22:56 »

I'm sure the reason they don't advertise Cranbrook for Exeter Airport is because they do not want to improve the train service by re-instating the double track to Yeovil which would also make a decent avoiding line. One day there might be a Devon Metro.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 10:26:10 »

...Cranbrook for Exeter Airport...

doesn't currently work because the airport bus, Stagecoach 56/56A, bypasses Cranbrook, which is served by Stagecoach 4/4A/4B. I can't see this setup changing since there is no direct 'as the crow flies' route between the two locations; a significant double back via Clyst Honiton would be required. In the future the required brand new road just isn't going to happen.

There are bus stop facilities at Cranbrook railway station but these are not currently in use. I suppose a Cranbrook<>Airport shuttle would be a possibility but, as previously mentioned, air passengers generally avoid such multi-modal arrangements. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 22:26:59 »

In the case of Leeds/Bradford (LBA) we are probably looking at the usual lack of ambition and/or finance on the part of both local & national government. A brief glance at the map shows that a spur from the Leeds<>Harrogate line just south of the southern portal of Bramhope tunnel would provide a fairly clear - but possibly NIMBY enraging - run to the airport terminal. Given the preponderance of farmland along the route perhaps a cut & cover tunnel for most of it would be appropriate. I would regard a 'parkway' station as an utter waste of time and money.

However, as has already been mentioned, would this be a sensible use of taxpayer moolah? LBA is not that busy and passenger numbers seem to have plateaued at around 4m (2017/18 figures). ...

It progresses - from Leeds Live

Newly released images show what a planned GBP-42 million parkway rail station near Leeds Bradford Airport could look like.

The station, which will be on the Leeds/Harrogate line, has been in the planning stages for a number of years, and a public consultation on the proposals has now been launched.

The station will be between Horsforth Station and the Southern end of Bramhope tunnel, and a shuttle bus will transport people to the airport.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: