Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:01:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trainline introduces split ticketing to help rail passengers save money  (Read 8023 times)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 21:03:04 »

And in addition, on one of the Meet the Manager threads with Mark Hopwood just lately, him mentioning bouyant sales to Didcot, and someone tongue in cheek asking whether that was because people wanted to go to Didcot or if the bouyant sales were caused by split ticketing.

That was me, and it was a perfectly serious question, as I am sure that the figures for Didcot are considerably distorted.  Though ironically, with more fast trains, I suspect some business travellers who split tickets even when their company was paying because "it's the right thing to do", will decide not to if the time penalty of having to take a slower train, and a less frequent service too.

I'm waiting for the campaign that it is unfair that your train has to stop at the splitting station. Cue Daily Fail headline "Outrage as commuter* thrown off train/charged twice for his ticket (delete as appropriate) as rip-off rail company uses small print to stop cheaper fair loophole. "     

*  - all rail travellers are commuters to the press, even those travelling 3pm on a Sunday afternoon from St Erth to Severn Tunnel Junction.   
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 21:59:45 »

That was me, and it was a perfectly serious question, as I am sure that the figures for Didcot are considerably distorted. 

I don't know about Didcot ... but I do know that Melksham's ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures were distorted for years by tickets sold for journeys that didn't even pass through Melksham (Melksham to Bristol was cheaper than Trowbridge to Bristol and than Bradford-on-Avon to Bristol, even though you can travel from Melksham to Bristol via either of those stations). At the height of the distortion, tickets for real journeys to / from Melksham were only a tiny part of Melksham ticket sales.

Look at the stats from 10 years ago. 27,676 ticketed passenger journeys, 4 calls a day.  Works out at 20 passengers per train.  No - may have been 4 or 5.    Some people who made use of the figures knew and understood the distortion and others did not. Overall, the distortion from time to time effected people's views and decisions. Personally I would much have preferred to have had real journey figures rather than ticket figures.

Didcot at present is a much better know distortion than Melksham was - and I would suspect there are enough people aware of split ticketing (and an estimate of its volume, which I have heard in national terms) for it to have little influence on planning for passenger numbers at the station.  It may lead to a temptation at fare setting time to raise Didcot fares at the upper end of the margin in view of spitting rather than in view of real passengers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 23:45:54 »

And in addition, on one of the Meet the Manager threads with Mark Hopwood just lately, him mentioning bouyant sales to Didcot, and someone tongue in cheek asking whether that was because people wanted to go to Didcot or if the bouyant sales were caused by split ticketing.

That was me, and it was a perfectly serious question, as I am sure that the figures for Didcot are considerably distorted.  Though ironically, with more fast trains, I suspect some business travellers who split tickets even when their company was paying because "it's the right thing to do", will decide not to if the time penalty of having to take a slower train, and a less frequent service too.

I'm waiting for the campaign that it is unfair that your train has to stop at the splitting station. Cue Daily Fail headline "Outrage as commuter* thrown off train/charged twice for his ticket (delete as appropriate) as rip-off rail company uses small print to stop cheaper fair loophole. "     

*  - all rail travellers are commuters to the press, even those travelling 3pm on a Sunday afternoon from St Erth to Severn Tunnel Junction.   

It was the exclamation mark that made me think it was tongue-in-cheek Grin

I wonder how much of the revenue attributed to Didcot is "real", and how much is due to splitting tickets. Just a thought!

You may be right about the Didcot split becoming less attractive, especially with the new fast Bristols via Parkway. Nevertheless, BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) anytime £224.20 whilst splitting at DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) costs £137.30, a saving of £87.10, is almost a third off the full price. And the time saving on a "fast" via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) compared to a "slow" via CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) is about 17 minutes. Waste 17 minutes and gain £87.10? I know what my decision would be Wink

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 00:47:30 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 05:29:17 »

You may be right about the Didcot split becoming less attractive, especially with the new fast Bristols via Parkway. Nevertheless, BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) anytime £224.20 whilst splitting at DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) costs £137.30, a saving of £87.10, is almost a third off the full price. And the time saving on a "fast" via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) compared to a "slow" via CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) is about 17 minutes. Waste 17 minutes and gain £87.10? I know what my decision would be Wink

With the Didcot split you are shifting from period returns to day returns - so of course this saving as calculated does not apply if you're going up in the Monday peak and back in the Friday peak.  And I believe the 17 minute saving is on the journey time - you may wish to add to that the extra wait at Temple Meads for the "slow" - e.g. from 08:53 to 09:00 which puts the extra time up to 24 minutes.  Then double the figures because you have to stop at Didcot with the same extra time penalties on the way back.  So overall you have a potential fare saving (as priced in this example) of £87.10 for a time saving of up to about an hour in total.

But once you start splitting, there are other alternatives too that can save you a little more on a "classic" peak day return trip - up in the morning back in the evening, and you can even (using singles) decide to travel up one day and back another, or lash out for a super fast in one direction and then split in the opposite direction.  I wonder if Trainline (which is what this thread's about) will help with such alternatives, or will offer other options such as a weekly season if you're making 2 round trips within 7 days or even use weekly seasons for a short section of a split which can eliminate the need to stop at the changeover point.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 11:19:54 »

...And I believe the 17 minute saving is on the journey time - you may wish to add to that the extra wait at Temple Meads for the "slow" - e.g. from 08:53 to 09:00 which puts the extra time up to 24 minutes.  Then double the figures because you have to stop at Didcot with the same extra time penalties on the way back.  So overall you have a potential fare saving (as priced in this example) of £87.10 for a time saving of up to about an hour in total.

When I read this I thought you might be spending too much time talking to creative accountants or politicians Grin

A journey time is a journey time is a journey time and starts when a train pulls out of a station and ends when it pulls into another station. Taking your logic one step further, someone going through the gateline at Temple Meads at xx:25 would have a choice of the xx:30 slow or the xx:53 fast. If they went on the xx:30 slow it would take 17 minutes longer to get to Paddington but the xx:53 fast is still 6 minutes away from the stop blocks, ergo the slow train is faster Grin

Quote from: grahame
With the Didcot split you are shifting from period returns to day returns - so of course this saving as calculated does not apply if you're going up in the Monday peak and back in the Friday peak.
I take the point that in those circumstances things are a little different, but I was thinking about the sort of punter, like I used to be when I was working - under 60 so no railcard and needing to go to occasional meetings in London.

When I was in that situation, if I couldn't claim expenses out of the client I would usually drive to Hayes & Harlington and catch a local in from there. One particular day doing that I walked into PAD within a few minutes of a Bristol train departing. So I did the calculation - if I was actually on that train it would get me into CPM at x, and a 10-minute walk home would get me there by y. So I timed my actual run - a semi-slow (if there is such a thing) calling at Ealing and Southall, then car home from Hayes. I pulled into the drive a mere 12 monutes later that I would have got there on the Bristol express.

And the moral of this story is - you can make numbers prove anything if you're creative enough with them... Wink
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 11:37:22 »

If split ticketing sites can get sophisticated enough to include such things as splitting at Cholsey with a 7-day season from Didcot to enable use of the fast trains which currently typically only shaves off a further few pence for one peak each way journey with no railcard, but can pays off well for more than one, it will no doubt cause even more trouble.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 12:10:37 »

I have posted in this forum, and also submitted the same opinion to the recent rail fares consultation, that the remedy for the pricing nonsense that gives genesis to split ticketing is base distance related fares (DRF) with variations only for whether Fast, SemiFast or Local services are selected where available, unavoidable 'back tracking', if travel during peak hours, defined both temporally & geographically, is involved and when season tickets are used.

On the back of responses to my original submission on this forum I now also accept DRF values should to some extent reflect regional cost of living variations.     
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 15:42:07 »

I have posted in this forum, and also submitted the same opinion to the recent rail fares consultation, that the remedy for the pricing nonsense that gives genesis to split ticketing is base distance related fares (DRF) with variations only for whether Fast, SemiFast or Local services are selected where available, unavoidable 'back tracking', if travel during peak hours, defined both temporally & geographically, is involved and when season tickets are used.

On the back of responses to my original submission on this forum I now also accept DRF values should to some extent reflect regional cost of living variations.     

Could you expand on this a bit please. regading your definitions?

What would be a distance related fare, how would you define fast, semi fast and local, and how would you define regional cost of living variaions and indeed how they could be calculated given that this could be a moveable target as local economies go up and dowm in relation to each other?

I ask this because my initial thoughts suggest that you could end up with as many anomalies as we have at the moment (albeit perhaps different ones). But I would prefer to hold off posting my thoughts at the moment because I may have thought of things that would have already been taken into account.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 08:25:53 »

Martin Lewis (aka ’Money Saving Expert’) has done a review of the split ticket websites today in his weekly news email:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#train

Trainline scores zero!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 08:39:43 »

Martin Lewis (aka ’Money Saving Expert’) has done a review of the split ticket websites today in his weekly news email:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#train

Trainline scores zero!

Alternative link which I suspect will last longer:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/#splitsites

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: