Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:49:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: James Freeman Q And A on Radio Bristol tuesday 14 January  (Read 1972 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:45:41 »

also a  Bus campaigner on before 09:00am on Radio Bristol,

and James Freeman will be on radio bristol from 09:0am till 10:00am.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:53:19 »

There are summaries of James Freemans interview and open letter on Metrobust on the hourly BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol news currently.

Mr Freeman now wants the 2-plus lanes in Bristol given over to Metrobust to try to make it run on time*. Seems the cost of providing the existing service was not enough and these new lanes are needed. How much did they cost in the first place and how much would they cost to transfer?  Looks rather like the Metrobust bill still seems to be rising with no guarantee that these measures would make it work.

*The article quoted journey delays of an hour and having to skip stops.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 18:43:38 »

I listened to most of the interview driving into Bristol (actually Staple Hill).  The discussions on Metrobus raised the important point that there are insufficient bus lanes to ensure reliability. People aren't going to catch a bus if it sits in the same traffic jams as they would in their cars.  The point about the 2+ lanes was not just about converting them to bus only lanes (easier to enforce) but also that by the time they come into operation tehy are already full of "normal" traffic. Also difficult to enforce at present.  I took a ride on the M3 shortly after its introduction and, as a retired highway engineer, there wre a number of location where I though that the design was flawed and would not help the bus service.
As an aside didn't SGC recently remove a length of bus lane at Hambrook as part of their air improvement scheme?

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 13:37:32 »

Open letter from James Freeman, MD of First West of England, addressing recent bus service disruptions and traffic congestion in Bristol
Here we are at the start of a new decade and no more than a week into it we are confronting appalling disruption to our lives as a result of traffic congestion particularly in the northern fringe of the conurbation. While this affects many people, it particularly impacts people who have made the lifestyle choice to use public transport to travel, particularly to their work.

Last Monday we introduced a fleet of eight brand new bio-methane fuelled double-decker gas-buses, replacing diesel buses, on the m3 metrobus service between Emersons Green and the city centre. This is an investment of £2.4 million in the buses alone. By Tuesday, these splendid new vehicles were utterly gummed up in appalling delays on the A4174 Ring Road. A journey that normally takes about 35 minutes was taking an hour and 35 minutes!

Not only is that frustrating for those on board, arriving at work late, in all probability, but it also means that the buses weren’t getting back to Emersons Green to operate their next trips. So, the bus to operate the 0815 departure from Emersons Green was actually only getting back there after 0900! Thus, the 0815 journey only ran when we found another bus and driver (over and above the eight that we bought).

Then the buses were actually proceeding so slowly that they were picking up more passengers at each stop, so that there was no space left for people wanting to board at places like Hambrook – those people finding themselves left behind.

Turn now to the m1 metrobus, which is the major south to north cross-conurbation route that celebrated its first birthday this week. We introduced a carefully-planned change to the peak-time timetable last Monday. This was designed to re-assign some capacity to cope with the extra people that we have attracted to metrobus in the Bradley Stoke and Stoke Gifford areas. The new arrangement provides a 7/8 minute peak time frequency between Bradley Stoke and the city centre – increasing the number of seats per hour from 450 to 600 over this section.

But on Tuesday South Glos Council started long term road works at the Great Stoke roundabout on Bradley Stoke Way. The resulting congestion has delayed buses by up to 40 minutes on each journey at the key morning peak times. This has totally disrupted the rest of the service straight through the morning, all the way to the very south of the city. So not only did this mean that the many people who have adapted their lives to picking up the bus at Begbrook near the new bridge over the M32, but even worse it meant that buses didn’t turn up on time at stops all across the route in south Bristol. For these people, the delays and disruption are completely inexplicable to them. You can forgive them for thinking we’re useless…

Of course, when the buses have been turning up at Begbrook, they are so delayed that they have picked up extra people and are therefore unable to collect any of the people waiting. The m3 buses, similarly if not worse delayed on the A4174, are also full when they reach this point. Small wonder then, that social media was full of angry entries last week – the one that caught my eye was from a customer who waited more than an hour to get onto any bus – long gaps being followed successive fully-loaded buses. No wonder these people were angry!

From last Thursday we have been able to mobilise extra buses to operate additionally to deal with some of these problems (luckily, we have some new deliveries not yet deployed and managers who are willing to drive on short notice), but this is a sticking-plaster approach and very expensive as well.

£230 million of public money was spent on creating metrobus, on top of which the operators have invested £10.5m on top-of-the-range buses. It’s largely wasted if we can’t run the service properly or at all. Not only that, if our much-vaunted metrobus system, by which so much store has been set, is not to be entirely discredited as an alternative to driving cars, then somehow the way has to be found to make these metrobuses able to run through these areas of increasingly chronic congestion.

This approach has started to be recognised in Bristol but metrobus can’t work if we don’t realise that we must take urgent action…

In the meantime, we must offer our riders, not just on metrobus but on the many other routes that are affected, especially from Thornbury and Bradley Stoke, Yate and Emersons Green, a most sincere and heartfelt apology if you have been affected this week. My fear is that, despite our attempts at mitigation, these problems will repeat next week and the week after and on until half term!

James Freeman

Managing Director, First West of England

13/01/2020
Source: First Group

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 16:09:11 »

That is very much what was said on the radio.  Reading between the lines his view is that SGC need to get their act together. My impression anyway.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 14:38:19 »

As I live in South Gloucestershire I can honestly say the road transport system is hopeless. The continually drive to add more homes and communities without connected then to services (transport, schools, GPs, etc), is really annoying.

The upgrade of `Rabbit` rounadabout (Winterbourne) was started last week and is the current course of these issues; why this upgrade was not done when Metrobus lanes where added two years ago I have no idea.

At the same time, the council have shut Gypsey Patch lane, that connects to this round about, forcing more drives this way. They could not have planned this in worse way.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 16:55:12 »

As I live in South Gloucestershire I can honestly say the road transport system is hopeless. The continually drive to add more homes and communities without connected then to services (transport, schools, GPs, etc), is really annoying.

The upgrade of `Rabbit` rounadabout (Winterbourne) was started last week and is the current course of these issues; why this upgrade was not done when Metrobus lanes where added two years ago I have no idea.

At the same time, the council have shut Gypsey Patch lane, that connects to this round about, forcing more drives this way. They could not have planned this in worse way.

One m3 driver told me as he dashed off for 'a pee ' he was an hour and 25minutes late this morning on arrival at Centre after a round trip.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 17:03:38 »

There's talk of lots of money "wasted" on a scheme that does not work.  But how much is "wasted" and how much will come into its own once the elements that need fixing are fixed - will it be good money after bad, or a good system once it's all there?

Is the solution in the bus realm, or could it be Metro rail?   I have plotted out stations and potential stations - Cyan have more than 1 service an hour already.   Yellow have very thin services - hourly or less.  White is an open station without any usable service (!) ... and the magenta pins are places where there could / should be stations. If there was a standard joined up 20 minute service to each pin (cyan, yellow and magenta), with no sillies like stopping 1 stop short of Parkway, wouldn't this provide a network that would persuade people out of their cars?

Two major holes though - no pins in a big east of Bristol area around Mangotsfield, and no pins in the south anywhere near Whitchurch.  I can't imagine anyone in the past even thinking trains would work to those places!  Cry Cry

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: