Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:31:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Journey - Car Free Journeys to Great Places  (Read 5072 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 15, 2020, 16:06:13 »

New one on me - Good Journey

Car Free Journeys to Great Places

Good Journey shows you how to get to the UK (United Kingdom)’s best attractions by train, bus, bike and foot. And enjoy great discounts when you arrive car-free!

Example of an attraction ...

National Botanic Garden of Wales
Set in 568 acres of beautiful Carmarthenshire countryside, the National Botanic Garden of Wales boasts more than 8,000 plants from all over the world.

Highlights include: Lord Foster’s Great Glasshouse - the largest single-span glasshouse on the planet - housing a top collection of Mediterranean plants. As well as themed gardens, a necklace of lakes, Butterfly House and Bird of Prey Centre.

County: Carmarthenshire
Address: Middleton Hall, Llanarthne, Carmarthenshire SA32 8HN
Refreshments: licensed restaurant, cafes

* Car-free offer: 50% off by train, bus or bike (based on full adult price)

Bus and train details on the site too.

They're a Community Interest Company with funding from the Foundation for Integrated Transport and an impressive list of "supported by" organisations.    Certainly an excellent idea to encourage people to visit places by train and bus and they're marketing via Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/GoodJourneyUK/ - which is where my initial link came from.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 17:38:00 »

Interesting – and could be useful! Thanks for bringing this to my (the forum's) attention.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:41 »

Does anybody know who has set this up? It does look very useful, and despite being a member of some of the supporting organisations, I've never seen any reference to it or heard of it before.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03:23 »

Does anybody know who has set this up? It does look very useful, and despite being a member of some of the supporting organisations, I've never seen any reference to it or heard of it before.

Much to my surprise ... and to the surprise of other members from Mendip ... they are based in ... Frome!

The website says "Funded by the Foundation for Integrated Transport" which is the organisation [founded/funded] by the late Simon Norton.

A friendly wave has been sent to the organisation - I would certainly like to invite them along to TravelWatch SouthWest on 2nd March, for example ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:03:33 »

2nd March is a Monday? Really?....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:38 »

2nd March is a Monday? Really?....

Would have been sensible for me to add a link to the suggestion, wouldn't it?
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/travelwatch-southwest-public-transport-stakeholder-meeting-tickets-86496985813

Always seem to be between a rock and a hard place with the multitude of different profile categories of people looking to attend, added to which the venue needs to be easily accessible from public transport from right across the are ...  all the way from Ashchurch and Bedwyn (and Bournemouth!) though to Penzance.

Sundays are impractical for public transport, and the first semi-fast down the Berks and Hants on a Saturday is now nearly half an hour later.  It was already tight for delegates coming that way.   That lack of westward connectivity on a Saturday morning from / via Westbury has been raised with GWR (Great Western Railway) as a general snagging issue but timetable changes if they come do not come quickly.  Let's see if we can get that gap closed.

Meanwhile, Monday 2nd March.  I suspect there may be some of those https://gwr.com/sale GWR January Sale tickets available if anyone is travelling from outside the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) area (i.e. long distance rather than local fares).

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20:00 »

There were, but had to split the tickets - no earlier enough arrival on through fare  Roll Eyes
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:26 »

Much to my surprise ... and to the surprise of other members from Mendip ... they are based in ... Frome!

The website says "Funded by the Foundation for Integrated Transport" which is the organisation [founded/funded] by the late Simon Norton.

A friendly wave has been sent to the organisation - I would certainly like to invite them along to TravelWatch SouthWest on 2nd March, for example ...

Ah, Frome does not surprise me at all. When I followed the link to the website, my first thought was that I know 5 groups or people who may have set this up, all based in the south-west, and top of my list was the Frome-based company who originally produced CycleCity Guides. This company was set up in the 1990s (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) by friends of mine, Martin and Lin, and for many years produced maps of cities showing cycle routes and much else, eventually managing to cover most of the country (rural and urban), giving a feel for how every road in those areas rates for ease of cycling. Sadly Lin was diagnosed with a terminal illness and died very quickly, and after that Martin left the company and moved away, and I lost contact with them. I believe the employees continued the business until austerity reduced local authority contracts, and they then broadened out to a wider promotion of non-car based travelling. This looks very much what I would have expected them to end up doing, which looks excellent.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: