Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:14:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alarming rise in use of on-train alarm systems  (Read 2139 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:48:58 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

More passengers are using emergency alarm systems on trains, causing increasing delays, figures show.

Rail users said crowded trains and a lack of help for disabled people would lead to alarms being triggered.

Delays caused by alarms, some of which can stop trains, rose by a third between 2017 and 2019, according to the Rail Delivery Group (RDG(resolve)).

It said passengers should read onboard instructions, ask staff and "use common sense" before reaching for alarms.
In the year to August 2019 passenger communication, door and emergency alarms were activated on trains more than 8,500 times, causing delays totalling more than 174,000 minutes.

This compared with just over 7,000 activations causing just under 132,000 minutes of delay in the year to August 2017.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:01:50 »

A friend of mine observed a lady use the alarm at Tilehurst as she was in the last carriage that wasn’t on the platform. She came bounding down the train and as it was about to start moving pulled it and turned to him and said ‘I probably shouldn’t have done that but someone’s picking me up’. People are weird, selfish beings at times. Of course she wandered off without being reprimanded and the driver came along and commented that it happens all the time.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:28:58 »

Not a trend I was aware of. In fact I never really notice where the alarms are now, whereas in the past I do remember them being quite obvious and with very stern warning notices. I wonder if this ties in with the other reported rise in inappropriate calls to the emergency operator? But I also wonder how the advice to "ask staff" ties in with the increasing use of driver-only operation. 

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:06:19 »

A friend of mine observed a lady use the alarm at Tilehurst as she was in the last carriage that wasn’t on the platform. She came bounding down the train and as it was about to start moving pulled it and turned to him and said ‘I probably shouldn’t have done that but someone’s picking me up’. People are weird, selfish beings at times. Of course she wandered off without being reprimanded and the driver came along and commented that it happens all the time.

People panic and do things which sometimes they immediately know was wrong.  And whilst using the emergency alarm for such an incident is wrong, I'm not surprised it happens.  One of the reasons why leaving it so long between the platform extensions being completed and the SDO (Selective Door Opening) being removed can lead to operational issues like the one you describe.  Asking for trouble.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:07:36 »

But I also wonder how the advice to "ask staff" ties in with the increasing use of driver-only operation.

Point me to where it's increasing, please?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:15:41 »

I don't think it's increased at all in recent years anywhere. 

Several TOCs (Train Operating Company) wanted it to be extended with new trains arriving (Northern, Merseyrail), and trains to be either truly DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), or DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) (Driver Controlled, but with another member of staff on board) with the option of DOO during service disruption, but I think all those have now been resolved in favour of keeping the guard.  The SWR» (South Western Railway - about) dispute rumbles on but AIUI (as I understand it) SWR have agreed to a second person on board, but don't want them controlling the doors, so any true DOO extension is highly unlikely.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 13:19:03 »

I've only been on one service when its happened (not long after the 387s started service from Reading and someone pulled it just as we left because the train was going the wrong way, if I recall (no, you were on the wrong train!).

But what I do see, a lot, is passengers walking up to the cab doors and banging on them or hanging around like they think its the toilet! Happened just a couple of days ago. I did notice of all the warnings on the door, nothing immediately obvious says its the drivers cab and not to disrupt them - which I'm sure I have seen elsewhere in the past (maybe the turbos?).

Perhaps a huge DRIVER CAB, DO NOT DISTURB or THIS IS NOT A TOILET would help!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 17:00:10 »

The un-railway-savvy (and indeed the railway-savvy such as me) can sometimes be confused, because these days there are many passenger-operated buttons on trains that look the same, but do completely different things.

On two occasions recently I mistakenly pressed an alarm button on a train (neither on GWR (Great Western Railway) stock), one of which occasions was pressing it rather than the unlock button on a tioilet door. They were both red, you see, and my eyesight is - theere is a technical term for it - crap - caused by glaucoma.

Oh for the days when you turned a handle to open a door, locked a toilet door by changing the position of a single bar and, if you wanted to raise an alarm, reached up and pulled a bloody chain.

They don't know the half of it today... Wink
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 17:37:44 »

The un-railway-savvy (and indeed the railway-savvy such as me) can sometimes be confused, because these days there are many passenger-operated buttons on trains that look the same, but do completely different things.

On two occasions recently I mistakenly pressed an alarm button on a train (neither on GWR (Great Western Railway) stock), one of which occasions was pressing it rather than the unlock button on a tioilet door. They were both red, you see, and my eyesight is - theere is a technical term for it - crap - caused by glaucoma.

Oh for the days when you turned a handle to open a door, locked a toilet door by changing the position of a single bar and, if you wanted to raise an alarm, reached up and pulled a bloody chain.

They don't know the half of it today... Wink

It's an obvious problem with writing standards for such things - each type of alarm function has its own section, but being readily distinguishable is not itself a thing so doesn't. EN 16584, which deals with this subject (together with EN 16585) suffers from that fault, but does at least have a go:
The control of the call for aid devices shall
  • be distinct from any other control devices within the wheelchair space/universal
    toilet/wheelchair accessible accommodation in which it is fitted.
  • be coloured differently from any other control devices within the wheelchair space/universal
    toilet/wheelchair accessible accommodation in which it is fitted.
  • contrast with their background
(from EN 16584-2:2015, p 32 of the last draft text)

It also has a pretty picture of two suggested good examples, both of which have a lever for the lock/unlock function and buttons for open/close. But I can't see any explicit statement about different functions' controls being readily associated with their correct functions only. I imagine that part of the trouble with doing that is that you'd like to recommend putting things in the obvious place - but whose obvious?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 19:13:35 »

I think that it's been remarked before on this forum that some people are reluctant to use on-board toilets because they don't understand how to lock the doors? The first time I resorted to a toilet on a new design of train, I thought that the controls might be next to the door  - in fact, they were the other side of the cubicle, and I had to look around before I spotted them.

Marlburian
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 20:04:46 »

Everybody is scared of the big reveal Grin
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 07:11:12 »

and why can't there be a common standard for door operating buttons. Lets say Open is always the top button. Have been on journeys where every train has them different. Almost got to the point of using the alarm button, until I realised I had been using the Close button to try and leave the train.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 09:40:49 »

and why can't there be a common standard for door operating buttons. Lets say Open is always the top button. Have been on journeys where every train has them different. Almost got to the point of using the alarm button, until I realised I had been using the Close button to try and leave the train.

Oh, there are standards. Quite a lot of them. I thought button positioning was included in the PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) requirements, but I can't see it in EN16584/16585, nor in any of the design guides. For users in general, now that buttons light up when active, that's the easiest way to know which to use. Of course it does help to know one of them will light up (or not, which is more important), and consistency is still important; it took me ages to twig that on 166s the outside door buttons didn't light up when active though the inside ones did.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 09:54:25 »

Well, If we're talking button standards it would be really useful if the exit buttons were on both sides of the door. On a crowded train it can be quite frustrating to be on the 'wrong' side and not be able to reach the button through the people who aren't getting off and continue to listen to their music oblivious.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 14:57:49 »

My two problems with mistakenly pressing the alarm button happened when I had an all-line rail rover, so I was experiencing a multitude of coach types and with differing controls.

I can therefore fully understand where you are coming from.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: