Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:22:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railcard website failure left / leaves people without the ability to renew  (Read 4303 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:51:36 »

A story from The Guardian just before Christmas - but echoed here at it was reported to me just a few days ago by someone frustrated in helping his daughter renew here railcard, and it sounded ongoing

Thousands of rail passengers could be left out of pocket in this year’s great Christmas getaway, the transport watchdog has warned, after railcard applications and renewals were delayed when the national website crashed.

Over the last two weeks, Transport Focus has been inundated with complaints from worried passengers who need to travel over the holiday period but have been unable to buy or renew railcards that give them discounts – typically of one-third – on train tickets.

On the eve of the mass festive exodus starting this weekend, the watchdog is urging the industry to take urgent steps to fix the problem. In the meantime it is seeking reassurances that staff will be advised to treat passengers affected “with understanding” and to not issue penalty fare notices or charge full fares if passengers have bought but not received their railcards.

It sound from the report I got that the only way to get certain railcards (3 year ones?) is online and that emails go unanswered.

From Trustpilot

Excellent      3%

Great      1%

Average      1%

Poor      4%

Bad      91%

1 star: Bad
6 days ago
It is a pity we cannot use a negative…
It is a pity we cannot use a negative star. Trying to renew but Railcard website will not let me login. Tried several times. Also tried to register afresh and failed. Tried to use the link for forgotten password but no e-mail arrived.

2 days ago
Poor in every respect
I rang the right number but was told I had to ring back because I selected the wrong option (out of two options). The online system doesn't work so if you get a new phone the app won't work. Incredibly poor in this day and age that you can't reset something like this yourself. This also happened to my other half and it's been like this for months with no sign of any progress. If you happen to select the right option (1) then you wait on hold forever and ever while they play messages saying 'you can do everything online' (just to rub it in).

and the very latest review

4 stars: Great
16 hours ago
It's up and running again.
Disabled Railcard website is is now operational, after nearly four months . Went through as sweet as a nut.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:08:35 »

The Railcard site is very poor. Had to renew our Two Together card in December. The previous year it was seamless but this time I had to start the whole process all over again including having to take and upload photos so a very poor customer experience. Not only that, I had intended to use Tesco Clubcard points to pay for it but that was out of action as well magically reappearing in January  Angry
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:46 »

There are two massage boxes on the landing page today. The more permanent-looking one says:
IMPORTANT NOTICE
An essential upgrade was recently carried out on our website and we’re aware there are some technical issues. 99% of people are not experiencing difficulties but if you’ve bought a Railcard online and haven’t yet received it or are experiencing difficulties, we offer our sincere apologies. If you’re due to travel shortly, please show the email confirmation of your Railcard purchase together with photo ID, so that staff can validate your discounted ticket and you can continue your journey. Most 1-year Railcards can be bought via our Railcard websites or at any staffed National Rail ticket office (renewals online or by phone only, see individual Railcard websites for details). If you’re having issues with your existing Railcard or purchase, please contact us on Twitter, Facebook, phone 0345 3000 250 or email railcardhelp@nationalrail.co.uk. We’re working hard to respond as quickly as possible to each case individually; please bear with us as there may be longer waiting times. We’re aware of the issues and are working continuously to resolve any difficulties. Please see FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) here: https://www.railcard.co.uk/help/
We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience.

Further downpage, what I think is a Facebook message says:
Facebook Logo LATEST POSTS Dear customers,
We're aware that some customers are still experiencing issues and we are extremely sorry about this.
The best way to get in touch is to DM us directly with your full name and email address and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.
Thanks for your patience, Railcards Team
1 week ago

None of which really matches the experiences reported (I've not needed to use it).
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:54:19 »

There are two massage boxes on the landing page today. The more permanent-looking one says:
IMPORTANT NOTICE
An essential upgrade was recently carried out on our website and... [as usual with IT the upgrade has knackered the whole shebang]

If anyone is interested, although the website says you can only renew three-year cards online, I did recently manage to renew my three-year old f*rt card on the phone. To be fair, the person I spoke to was very helpful, and got it sorted quickly. He said they were aware of the serious problems with the site.

The problem with the phone line is of course actually getting through. I had to hold for an hour.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 14:38:39 »

I had similar issues with the website not recognising my password and a reset link not arriving.

However as others have reported I too was able to renew a three year railcard over the phone and it came the next day.   I phoned during the lull between Christmas and New Year and got straight through.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 15:09:54 »

There are two massage boxes...

Presumably the massage is to soothe the pain of waiting... 🙂
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:44:32 »

To be fair, the person I spoke to was very helpful, and got it sorted quickly. He said they were aware of the serious problems with the site.

The problem with the phone line is of course actually getting through. I had to hold for an hour.

You are very charitable.  I'm afraid I would add that hour on hold to the actual time talking to the agent and my abiding memory and review would be based on a total experience time of 65 minutes or so, on top of how long it should have taken via the web site.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:31:04 »

There are two massage boxes...

Presumably the massage is to soothe the pain of waiting... 🙂

I think a massage box is more to avoid any pain ... assuming it's a kind of solid protective Freudian slip.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 10:51:00 »

Prompted by this thread I had another go at accessing my on line account.  It didn't recognise my password so I asked for a reset link which generated an email saying the system couldn't find account connected with my email address.  I therefore tried to set up a new account with that email address but it told me I couldn't because there was already an active account with that email!

So I emailed customer services and despite the acknowledgement warning me to allow 20 working days for a reply I received one within 12 hours.

It seems it is a known problem - but offered details of two other sites where you can buy on line - which may be useful to others.

We are aware about the issue on our website, and I assure you that it will be fixed at the earliest.

In case you are looking to purchase the Railcard, I'd advise you to visit the below-mentioned websites:

East Midlands Railway: https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/tickets-discounts/get-a-discount/railcards

Avanti West Coast: https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/ticket-and-discounts/ways-to-save/railcards

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 14:31:06 »

Applied to renew Monday card arrived today. i did have to do a password change to access the new system but my previous card details were all there.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 19:13:26 »

To be fair, the person I spoke to was very helpful, and got it sorted quickly. He said they were aware of the serious problems with the site.

You are very charitable.  I'm afraid I would add that hour on hold to the actual time talking to the agent and my abiding memory and review would be based on a total experience time of 65 minutes or so, on top of how long it should have taken via the web site.

Indeed, but as I implied, it isn’t the fault of the operative that people have to wait so long. Overall experience not good.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: