Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:15:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking Britain's Lost Railways  (Read 4571 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 09, 2020, 21:43:57 »

Rob Bell (not Julia Bradbury, sorry) - ITV, 8 p.m. tonight --- just watching on +1 at the moment.

Tonight - Midland Main Line through the Peak District

https://tv24.co.uk/b/q5gd00-1nzp :

Rob travels along a stretch of what was once part of the London to Manchester express route. From Matlock to the spa town splendour of Buxton, Rob unearths a tale of Victorian ambition, as he travels along a route filled with great engineering.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 22:51:21 »

Just caught it on replay. Interesting seeing the bits I visited a couple of years ago.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 00:19:42 »

After just 2 episodes the series has been "paused" by Channel 5.

That's commercial TV speak for, "We weren't getting enough viewers and the advertisers aren't happy."

So it's been replaced by Nightmare Hotels of the Third Reich in Colour. Or something.

Presenter Rob Bell had quite a few tweets on Sunday and yesterday asking why the series was pulled.

https://twitter.com/MrRobBell/status/1231969108113215488?s=20

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 21:24:17 »

Response from Channel 5:

Date: 25th February 2020

Dear Xxxxx

Thank you for your recent email regarding Walking Britain's Lost Railways.

The remaining episodes in Series 2 are currently unplaced in our schedules. Being such a popular programme, we are hoping for a better slot for the series later in the year. In line with other commercial broadcasters, our schedules are only confirmed up to two weeks in advance. We recommend that you keep a close eye on the listings or the TV Guide on our website.

Many thanks

Porcia

VIEWER ADVISOR

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 21:39:45 »

Definitely a bovine wiff here abouts..

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 22:19:40 »

Indeed.

"... hoping for a better slot..."

It's your channel for flips sake. You should know what slots are and aren't available. No need for hope.

The reality though is that they're trying to 'sell' the programme to advertisers.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 06:09:48 »

A couple of months ago, I binged on Whitewick's Abandoned Railways on YouTube.

Mrs & Mrs Whitewick, sometimes accompanied by their children, make a charismatic couple, though his resemblance to Sir Bradley Wiggins is a little distracting! They are "exploring" and cannot be expected to have intimate local knowledge, but now and then I have remarked to myself that they've overlooked some particular feature.

They seem to have covered many of the lost railway lines  with which I'm familiar.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:34 »

Indeed.

"... hoping for a better slot..."

It's your channel for flips sake. You should know what slots are and aren't available. No need for hope.

The reality though is that they're trying to 'sell' the programme to advertisers.

Commercial reality. Minority interest. Much cheaper and easier to buy something in/show a repeat which will attract far more viewers and advertisers.

Food for thought for all those screaming and shouting about funding the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) on a commercial basis rather than via the Licence Fee.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:03:58 »

A couple of months ago, I binged on Whitewick's Abandoned Railways on YouTube.

Mrs & Mrs Whitewick, sometimes accompanied by their children, make a charismatic couple, though his resemblance to Sir Bradley Wiggins is a little distracting! They are "exploring" and cannot be expected to have intimate local knowledge, but now and then I have remarked to myself that they've overlooked some particular feature.

They seem to have covered many of the lost railway lines  with which I'm familiar.

I found myself watching a number of their videos the other day, and considering the format of couples travelling together, with one (in theory) explaining it to the other, whilst in practise explaining to the viewer.  Geoff Marshall and Vicki Pipe also sprung to my mind.   How hard it must be to avoid the stereotypical "man explains to woman" appearance, and how hard to look cheerful / happy / for one of the people not to appear unhappy to have been dragged along, but really enthusiastic about yet another interesting station clock, this time at Hainault, or yet another boggy old tunnel.

Our discussions then went on to Love is Blind and First Dates - but I'm going off topic as I see few couples in either show taking in the joys of the abandoned site of Killin Junction, or London Overground at Battersea Park.

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:56:40 »

Indeed. Looking at who signed the response, maybe even a porcine whiff...?  Grin
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 20:56:07 »

My recorder has picked up what seems to be the return of this series. On Ch5 at 20.00 on Friday 3/4.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 21:50:57 »

Just caught this evening's episode on the Waverley Line. A lot of it was very interesting.  Top marks to the architect who renovated a station for his home yet was happy for any future possible reopening to run through what is now his garden, especially as the buildings on both platforms are owned and renovated by him. One would hope that the original wooden footbridge he restored between the two would be allowed to stay.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 23:10:11 »

Just caught this evening's episode on the Waverley Line. A lot of it was very interesting.  Top marks to the architect who renovated a station for his home yet was happy for any future possible reopening to run through what is now his garden, especially as the buildings on both platforms are owned and renovated by him. One would hope that the original wooden footbridge he restored between the two would be allowed to stay.

A very nice light programme, but he identifed the emptiness of the area before supporting a re-opening.

He also talked about the 30 miles that had been opened as the longest piece of new railway for a century.  He has not heard of HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 23:48:19 »

He also talked about the 30 miles that had been opened as the longest piece of new railway for a century.  He has not heard of HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel).

That bit struck me as odd too. HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is about double the length..... or was a substantial amount of it upgraded existing line?  In that case the Waverley Line might be the longest continuous line built in a century?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: