Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:07:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Airport  (Read 15609 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:23:35 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) / Bristol Sound - Facebook feed

BREAKING: plans to expand Bristol Airport have been REJECTED by North Somerset Council.
The plan was to increase its annual capacity by 2 million passengers.
Councillors voted 18-7 against the plans.

Should we be rejecting plans that lead to an increase in flying with all the issues of "how to make it Carbon Neutral" or accepting plans for expansion of the North Somerset Airport on the ground that if we don't, people will simply travel to Heathrow, Gatwick of Cardiff to fly ... and business and economy near and around those airports will grow at the expense of the Bristol area.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:51 »

I suspect the rejection at local level will be over-turned (on appeal) at national level by the Planning Inspectorate.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:02:25 »

As a follower of Bristol City and living in Weston, I am all too familiar with NSC and their bizarre voting

At least the extinction rebellion crowd in a weird fancy dress have finally left the town after days of prancing about
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 17:31:10 »

As a follower of Bristol City and living in Weston, I am all too familiar with NSC and their bizarre voting

At least the extinction rebellion crowd in a weird fancy dress have finally left the town after days of prancing about

I found myself in an interesting situation the other week - I was at a WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) meeting in City Hall in Bristol arguing the case for suburban rail services, while outside there was a demonstration and march by people opposed to the expansion of Bristol Airport. The folks outside were, you might say, the usual suspects.

Inside, dozens of people politely took their turn to stand up and speak passionately and intelligently against the airport expansion. Some were close to tears as they voiced their fears for their grandchildren's future if nothing is done to stop climate change. Only one person spoke in favour of the airport's plans: Marvin Rees. And to be fair, his concern was that if other airports expand and Bristol doesn't then we haven't gained anything.

So what were the North Somerset councillors thinking? Perhaps they had reflected on the questions "If not now, when?" and "If not us, who?" and decided that the answers were "now" and "us". Is that bizarre?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 17:55:04 »

I am pleased to see the airport expansion plans rejected.
Despite the claims about working towards reducing carbon emissions, flying is very carbon intensive, and likely to remain so. If we are serious climate change we need to fly less, not more.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 18:00:08 »

I thought I'd read somewhere that the councillors (or one of them) hoped their decision to reject the application would encourage other councils to act similarly. If that were to happen, then although this and the next several would be won on appeal/called in by the SoS, it would be the beginning of a turning tide. However, I've read through all the press reports I read earlier and I can't find anyone saying this.  Roll Eyes

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 19:47:24 »

I thought I'd read somewhere that the councillors (or one of them) hoped their decision to reject the application would encourage other councils to act similarly. If that were to happen, then although this and the next several would be won on appeal/called in by the SoS, it would be the beginning of a turning tide. However, I've read through all the press reports I read earlier and I can't find anyone saying this.  Roll Eyes

I don't know if anyone expressly said it, but it's reasonable to imagine that they may have thought it. Bristol, remember, was the first council to declare a climate emergency.

Interesting stat on Points West this evening (forgive me but this is from memory): just under half of all people did not fly last year, but 10% of people flew more than 10 times. Something over 80% of flights were non-business.

Airports, like roads, are thought by 'business leaders' (who they?) to be essential for economic growth, yet studies suggest that this is only true in seriously underdeveloped places. Maybe it's time to start listening to the experts again? Rather than expanding Bristol Airport, maybe we should start campaigning for Bristol-Birmingham High Speed Rail?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 19:52:54 »

Does the rejection of the application strengthen or weaken the likelihood of some sort of airport rail link?
On the one hand, you could say that the rejection is a disincentive to the owners and/or local authorities to provide such a link to help cope with future growth in passenger numbers.
On the other hand, you could argue that the owners might just want to start talking seriously about this if they want to launch a future appeal.  After all, it was not so long ago since the (Canadian?) owners were making public noises about financing such an entity.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:07:45 »

Despite the claims about working towards reducing carbon emissions, flying is very carbon intensive, and likely to remain so. If we are serious climate change we need to fly less, not more.

All very laudable thoughts that I’ll give due consideration to as I drink myself to sleep on my 10 hour flight home tonight. I do like the VA port though after dinner, so perhaps we have something in common...
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:34:28 »

All very laudable thoughts that I’ll give due consideration to as I drink myself to sleep on my 10 hour flight home tonight. I do like the VA port though after dinner, so perhaps we have something in common...

You can offset it by avoiding the fillet steak
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 09:17:48 »

I will always respect anyone's opinion, but that just means if I take a long haul flight now, I get the chance to drive to London etc for the privelage, surely that doesn't help anything in the long run?
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:23:16 »

You are correct it was within one of the interviews shown on ITV West on Tuesday, I can't the exact quote but below is from a written statement which is very similar so would assume it was the same person:

.........Tarisha Finnegan-Clarke, co-ordinator of Bristol Airport Action Network (BAAN), one of the key campaigning organisations in this campaign said "This decision is likely to send shock-waves through the aviation industry in the UK (United Kingdom) as it may make it much more difficult for the many other airports who are currently applying to expand their passenger numbers before more difficult carbon targets are imposed on them by the Government".

TAKEN FROM: https://bristolgreenparty.org.uk/news
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:14 »

Interesting stat on Points West this evening (forgive me but this is from memory): just under half of all people did not fly last year, but 10% of people flew more than 10 times. Something over 80% of flights were non-business.

Maybe it's time to start listening to the experts again? Rather than expanding Bristol Airport, maybe we should start campaigning for Bristol-Birmingham High Speed Rail?

Yes, the figures on Points West were interesting, but I think the last figure you quote was actually people flying more than 4 times per year.
But Bristol is not a "Business" airport. I flew a great deal before I retired, the overwhelming majority of my flights were from Heathrow. I never flew from Bristol (on business) and twice collected some colleagues arriving from Germany there.
Bristol to Birmingham HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) rail link ?? Yes, if 80% of the traffic wanted to go to Birmingham, but it doesn't - it wants to go to Barcelona, Basel, Bodrum, Bologna, etc, etc ....and usually just once a year. 
Which politician is going to be brave enough to stand up and tell the electorate that they are not allowed to have their annual holiday in Biarritz, Bilbao, etc, etc.............. You WILL go to to Bognor !!  Vote for me ......    Undecided Undecided
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:48 »

I will always respect anyone's opinion, but that just means if I take a long haul flight now, I get the chance to drive to London etc for the privelage, surely that doesn't help anything in the long run?

If everyone who would have flown from an expanded  Bristol airport instead flies from London, and drives thereto, then nothing is gained.
The carbon emissions of the flight from London would be broadly similar to those of the flight from Bristol, and the carbon emissions of the drive would be in addition.

However the hope is that some people might decide not to fly. Perhaps taking the train instead.
The purpose of airport expansion is to accommodate more flights and more passengers. If we are serious about climate change, then we need LESS flights and FEWER passengers.
In my view, NO MORE airport capacity should be built. Even the present amount of air travel is a serious contributor to climate change, and to plan for any expansion is entirely contrary to concerns about climate change.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:11:44 »

Lulsgate serves very few long haul destinations currently, with no published plans to increase scheduled long haul destinations. Nearly all the destinations beyond Europe are seasonal only. So unless you want the Caribbean, Middle East or Orlando between May and September you'll still need to travel to another airport for the rest of the world.

If you really must start at Lulsgste there's nothing stopping you flying to a European hub (Dublin, Paris CDG, Amsterdam Schipol, Frankfurt am Main) and taking your long haul flight from there.

Or take the train to Heathrow, Gatwick...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:27:38 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: