Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:12:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bath - Cleveland Bridge, Clean Air Zone, Diversions and effect  (Read 2866 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:22 »

Well - not trains so I am posting in "The West - but NOT the West's trains".  Not really buses and other public transport either.   Nor "Bristol Commuters".  I guess if there's no logical place for a thread I can turn round and blame the person who came up with the topics in the first place.   Oops - I think that was me  Grin

From the Melksham Independent News

AN extra 200 heavy lorries a day could be diverted through Melksham on the A350 due to the weight restriction on Bath’s Cleveland Bridge.

Figures from Wiltshire Council say that Melksham could see up to 1,650 vehicles over 18-tonnes travelling through the town a day – an increase of 14% compared to traffic before the diversion.

Bath and North East Somerset Council (BANES) has enforced the 18-tonne weight limit restriction on the A36 Cleveland Bridge due to it being ‘under threat structurally’.

The diversion,  which shifts heavy duty vehicles heading south from the M4 along the A350, began last  week and already residents are feeling the effect, with reports of a marked increase in heavy traffic.

In response to the increase in traffic, residents and local councillors are again calling for a bypass to be built to the east of Melksham and around Beanacre.

Beanacre resident Gary Jardine, who lives on the A350, told Melksham News, “It has made it more difficult getting into town – not to mention the impact it has had on air quality, which was already bad enough! I used to run along the A350, I wouldn’t dream of doing that now – it’s getting worse and worse.

“An HGV broke down on the Farmers Roundabout – and the traffic was tailed back through Beanacre. This is one problem that will happen more frequently. And I’ve seen lorries stalking cyclists as they are too frightened to overtake – which again backs up traffic.

“This will get worse when the bridge in Melksham’s town centre is closed to southbound traffic! I don’t know what the answer is, apart from a bypass.”

Vice chair of Melksham Without Parish Council, cllr John Glover said, “A typical BANES answer to a problem. Just like their air quality solution, pass the problem to someone else – Wiltshire.

“With weight limits in Bradford, most traffic south will be diverted through Beanacre, our  problem, and the west of Melksham. There will be a knock-on effect for northbound along the Semington bypass. If this is to be a constant irritant, not least because the BB&SC strategic route linking the A36 with the A46 across the River Avon was abandoned following objections from many Bathonians, then we too need to look to a solution for Beanacre, Melksham and the Semington bypass.

“This could be some form of bypass to the east of Beanacre, and Melksham/Bowerhill linking to the A350/A361 roundabout. Staying as far away from present housing as possible.”

[snip] - article continues

This weight restriction might be to / through the summer ... but then come November and the clean air charging zone in Bath comes into effect for heavy vehicles;   I don't know what proportion of heavy lorries are "Euro-6" or the equivalent, but I fear that many vehicles which are not will prefer to come through Melksham at the end of this year, rather than pay £100.

Yesterday, mid afternoon, someone went into the river at the A350 bridge.  With the extra traffic from Bath, and with the town centre bridge closed one way for railings to be fitted, there was already three times the traffic on the one bridge and then that was closed. The net outcome was gridlock for miles around.   Police instructions to "use an alternative route" were - err - impractical. Sadly, a body as recovered at around 10:30 p.m.

Another thread talks of a Melksham Eastern Bypass.   I have a great concern at yet more road building, yet at the same time I take a look at the proposal and say it has some merit, not only for the transport but for the quality of life along the existing road.  And for joining up the town's railway station to the town - on opposite sides of a busy and dangerous artery (another death near the top of Station Approach, a few hundred yards from the bridge involved last night) without having to cross it either on the level of through the subway that's struggle to keep "welcoming".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 14:48:52 »

I went out for a walk yesterday ... and with it a chance (!) to walk 700 metres along the A350.  Lots of 'heavies' along this stretch and there are said to be an extra 200 of them using the road each day due to turn traffic being diverted away from Bath; it felt that the air was anything but fresh.   I did not dally - just snapped pictures as I went; I have no way of knowing which of these heavies is "on diversion" and which would have been there anyway.

So - should an eastern bypass be built?  I can see strong arguments both for and against, and I'm currently in learning mode.   As a general principle, I would prefer us to stick with the roads we have and I worry about adding  / enhancing one stretch just moving congestion elsewhere, yet I really feel for the people who live beside this road. Should we be going carbon neutral and not using fossil fuel in the next few years, and what effect will that have on the volume rather than the cleanliness of traffic?    Could more go by rail (but it will need much more capacity here!)?   Will life come back with a changed lifestyle after the Coronavirus shutdown, and if so what will be infrastucture needs then?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 15:06:46 »

Electric HGVs are still some way off. AIUI (as I understand it), unlike cars where the uptake is really limited "only" by finances and charging infrastructure, with heavier vehicles there are still problems of batter capacity to be overcome. In any case, I can't see electric lorries reducing volume of traffic; if anything, it will be increasing due to lower running costs.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: