Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:40:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Dennis - 15th/16th Feb 2020  (Read 7975 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 07:13:40 »

………...doesn't appear to be any advice re: Storm Dennis on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website yet...…..presumably a full service is expected to operate?  Smiley

Yes, although it's set to be a wet, windy and thoroughly miserable weekend, the winds are not near to the same strength of last weekend so none of the blanket 50mph speed restrictions are likely to be needed.

That being said, it's still quite testing conditions.  Flooding at Roche has led to the Newquay branch being suspended and there is a 50mph restiction on until 4pm tomorrow between Truro and Exeter - ticket restrictions lifted as a result.

.....my hopes weren't high! 🙂
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 07:40:32 »

Flooding in the Cowley Bridge area affecting all services and GWR (Great Western Railway) are putting the emphasis on Exmouth to Barnstaple (a through service that no longer exists)!

Cancellations to services between Exmouth and Barnstaple via Exeter St Davids
Due to heavy rain flooding the railway between Exeter St Davids and Taunton fewer trains are able to run on all lines. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Train services between Exmouth and Barnstaple via Exeter St Davids have been cancelled.
Additional Information
Customers travelling into and out of Devon and Cornwall should only travel if necessary on Sunday 16th February, as flooding is expected to close the lines between Exeter St David's and Taunton and Exeter St David's and Barnstaple.

A diversionary route via Yeovil is expected to be in operation,this will be a limited service and the line may also become flooded.

This will be a reducedservice andtrains will be busier and take longer than usual.

Customers should check before travelling.

Customers choosing not to travel on Sunday can use their tickets on Monday 17th or Tuesday 18th February or claim their money back if they do not travel at all. If customers travel on Sunday 16th February it is recommended that you travel on an earlier train service, tickets will be valid.

Road replacement transport will be in operation between Exeter St David's and Taunton / Barnstaple in both directions. Customers are requested to check station signs and wait for replacement road transport at the designated stop. Customers are advised that the replacement road transport may run later than the advertised train times owing to the additional time taken by road between stations and the time required for loading and unloading at each stop.

Mutal ticket acceptance is in place between CrossCountry and GWR for all routes affected between Bristol Temple Meads and Plymouth.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 07:59:54 »

Wasn't there a load of work done at Cowley Bridge quite recently specifically to prevent flooding?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 08:08:27 »

Wasn't there a load of work done at Cowley Bridge quite recently specifically to prevent flooding?

To alleviate, not prevent, sadly. So, maybe it is less severe than could have been, but flooded nevertheless!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 08:22:30 »

To alleviate, not prevent, sadly. So, maybe it is less severe than could have been, but flooded nevertheless!

Ah I see...………..perhaps we could get the Chinese to have a look at it and make it a bit more robust whilst they're over here sorting out HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) for us?  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 08:23:53 »

Indeed.  I recall the works being described as designed to stand up to everything short of a once-in-forty-years event, or was it once-in-100-years?  Get it over with today and changes are we won't have any more problems for several decades, right?  Grin

The lack of a passable line at Cowley Bridge today has caused a massive spike in enquiries (in public) to @GWRhelp on Twitter and they give a fascinating insight (well - fascinating to me) into people's journeys and what worries them at times of disruption.  I have started a thread in our "Transport Scholars" section which lists a number of these enquiries - at http://gwr.passenger.chat/22911 .  Worth documenting and discussing, but not something to be shouting about on our public boards.  Coffee Shop members who are NOT Transport Scholars - please send me a message (or like this post) and I'll add you in.  Lurkers / guests - why not join the forum and once you're an established poster, you too can become a "Transport Scholar".  Always free to join, welcoming of new members; also happy if you want to continue to lurk.

Edit 08:00, 17.2.2020 - send me a message to be added to "Transport Scholars" as I will no longer be coming back here every few hours to check for more "like"s.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:03:54 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:42 »

From Cross Country:

Due to flooding between Tiverton Parkway and Exeter St Davids, all lines are blocked and will be blocked all day. Ticket acceptance in place with @GWRHelp. Road transport to be sourced. Services will terminate at Bristol from the north and re-start at Plymouth.

All direct services between Birmingham New Street and Cardiff Central in both directions are suspended. Please change at Gloucester passengers to travel via Cheltenham Spa. Newport and Cardiff Central passengers to travel via Bristol Parkway/Bristol Temple Meads.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 08:36:06 »

Indeed.  I recall the works being described as designed to stand up to everything short of a once-in-forty-years event, or was it once-in-100-years?  Get it over with today and changes are we won't have any more problems for several decades, right?  Grin

The lack of a passable line at Cowley Bridge today has caused a massive spike in enquiries (in public) to @GWRhelp on Twitter and they give a fascinating insight (well - fascinating to me) into people's journeys and what worries them at times of disruption.  I have started a thread in our "Transport Scholars" section which lists a number of these enquiries - at http://gwr.passenger.chat/22911 .  Worth documenting and discussing, but not something to be shouting about on our public boards.  Coffee Shop members who are NOT Transport Scholars - please send me a message (or like this post) and I'll add you in.  Lurkers / guests - why not join the forum and once you're an established poster, you too can become a "Transport Scholar".  Always free to join, welcoming of new members; also happy if you want to continue to lurk.

Knock off a zero, it's once every 10 years Graham, so we're now all clear till 2030  Wink

https://www.ice.org.uk/ICEDevelopmentWebPortal/media/Documents/Regions/UK%20Regions/Cowley-Bridge-sw-awards.pdf
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 09:12:32 »

Alternative route via Yeovil closed due to flooding of River Axe east of Axminster

https://twitter.com/sw_help/status/1228967118303121408?s=21

Location shown here
https://traksy.uk/live/M+8+AXMNSTR+18
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 09:16:49 »

....and quoted from the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum (15/02/2020):

Today's weather has proven the better of many replacement buses. This morning one aquaplaned into a roundabout in Kidwelly, this afternoon the Conwy Valley RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) (put on due to previous damage, rather than just for this storm) has collided with some fallen power lines. Drivers for the replacement buses on the Marches refused to go due to the conditions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:34:45 by SandTEngineer » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 09:17:41 »

Alternative route via Yeovil closed due to flooding of River Axe east of Axminster

Location shown here

Oops - 1A77 (0834 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington) has just passed me at Pinhoe  Shocked
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 09:20:10 »

Possibly mitigate. The electrics were put on plinths to try to keep them out of the water, so that when said water recedes, life can continue without the need for all new kit.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 09:21:02 »

Problems between Westbury and Bath:
Cancellations to services between Westbury and Bath Spa
Due to a tree blocking the railway between Westbury and Bath Spa the line towards Bath Spa is blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 10:00 16/02.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 09:32:01 »

Location shown here

Oops - 1A77 (0834 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington) has just passed me at Pinhoe  Shocked

My ears gave me misleading information  Embarrassed  Having been told of the divert, I was heading down to the station to phot it. Sadly, I heard what I thought was the train and assumed I had missed it and headed back home. It could not have been the train as it never left St Davids. Apologies for the mis-information......... <Goes and hides in the nearest hole>
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 10:05:53 »

This screenshot from Google Street view shows the location. The tributary coming in from the right had some flood alleviation work done recently but presumably too much rain has fallen over the past few hours.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: