Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:52:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: But all Newbury trains USED to stop at Theale!  (Read 4994 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:24:50 »

Social media feed:

Got on the train at reading to go theale ticket man said train to Newbury got on the train and guess what it only stop at Newbury NOT theale !!

We were very concerned at people getting onto any eastbound train from Chippenham and from Bristol Parkway and expecting it to stop at Swindon after the timetable changes in December, but I have not heard of stories of overcarrys.  Mind you, I expect people would be rather embarrassed to post.

Above is one that as far as I was aware hadn't been flagged up - getting on a destination Newbury train at Reading on an assumption it would stop at Theale.  Are there others?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:53:41 »

Maybe one of the hourly Electrostars running PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)>>RDG(resolve)>>NBY» (Newbury - next trains) only (and return) during weekdays since the Dec TT change?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:38 »

Or getting on a GWR (Great Western Railway) train at Ealing Broadway expecting it to stop at Southall, finding out next stop Hayes.

This has happened to quite a few people, despite all the announcements

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 17:54:29 »

Or getting on a GWR (Great Western Railway) train at Ealing Broadway expecting it to stop at Southall, finding out next stop Hayes.

That's not new, is it? There has "always" been a variety of stopping patterns. At least for Southall you can now be told "you want a purple train" - at least until TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail start playing with their stopping patterns. But for Acton, Hanwell, or West Ealing it's go to be the right kind of purple train.

By the way, does anyone else think it's bad practice for GWR to leave out of their relevant timetable (T10) all TfL trains that serve Heathrow, and all stations served only by TfL Rail trains? It looks especially odd that West Ealing, obviously part of the Greenford timetable in the same book, isn't mentioned in the main line tables.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 18:42:51 »

Yes, it seems a little ridiculous, and that both are trying to directly compete. I noticed that the Crossrail timetable at Maidenhead on the platform doesn't include any GWR (Great Western Railway) trains too. I thought public transport was to be encouraged, not stifled by individual companies.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 19:25:09 »

Yes, it seems a little ridiculous, and that both are trying to directly compete. I noticed that the Crossrail timetable at Maidenhead on the platform doesn't include any GWR (Great Western Railway) trains too. I thought public transport was to be encouraged, not stifled by individual companies.

The nightmare absurdity of different businesses competing on the same corridor which ends up doing neither / none of them any good.   Don't get me going in this thread ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 20:06:55 »

One of the reasons I wait a bit at Ealing on the down and Hayes on the up and if dwell time, replay announcement or make a manual one. Often at least 1 person that darts back to the platform again.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 20:29:14 »

... but I have not heard of stories of overcarrys.  Mind you, I expect people would be rather embarrassed to post.

I've never been embarrased about my overcarrys, even the time when I was travelling from Reading to Bristol on what we used to know as the "Down Waker." I just dozed off for a few seconds, and woke up at Cowley Bridge... I may have had a few that night though...

But my luckiest overcarry, so to speak, was this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/8473502393/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:58:23 »

My one and only overcarry saw me in Birmingham New St instead of Bristol Temple Meads.

It was the last fast (XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))) train from Taunton after a rather long day of, er, conviviality with an old school friend.

Woken by cleaners at New St, fortunately before the set went off to Central Rivers. Nothing back southbound until the morning. No choice but to go find a hotel.

CrossCountry staff at New St were very understanding, allowing me to travel back to Bristol free of charge.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:25:05 »

I've been 'overcarried' three times...........
- once as a 9-year old (in 1965) going train spotting at Exeter St Davids. I caught the 07:51 from Pinhoe with the expectation of a change at Central to go down the hill as the 07:51 normally pulled into the bay platform at Central. On this occasion it came into the through platform and your truly got excited thinking I could stay on board and go on to St Davids. No on board announcement in those days. We ended up in the [now long gone] carriage sidings at Central and I had to stay there until the 10:05 Up local was brought back into the platform!

- going back to Bath University in the mid-70s with my moped, my train was late arriving into Bristol Temple Meads. I knew my train to Bath would be on Platform 3, so I made my way, quickly over to the platform, loaded my moped into the guards compartment and boarded the train. Only when we started going up the hill out of TM(resolve) did I realise we were going via Badminton and next stop Swindon. Sheepishly approaching the guard, he gave me a pass back to Bath.

- only last year, boarding a train for Pinhoe at Central, I took up my usual seat in the rearmost vestibule of the six-coach train, which would be in line with the rear exit at Pinhoe. We arrived at Pinhoe only to discover the door would not open!, So onwards to Cranbrook and wait for the next train back. This was in the week following the decision by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) to consider Pinhoe to be a short platform and only open the front three coaches. The guard had made an announcement, but the speakers in the rear coach were not working.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:27:27 »

A friend of mine was overcarried in a railway connected situation. Several of us went to Fulham away with the Royals a few years back and after the game had a few pints around Hammersmith. The rest of us decided to leave the capital and head back to town while he saw some other lads he knew and stayed behind. That evening it was rail replacement from London to Reading after a particular time and he boarded a bus at Paddington heading home and dozed off, waking up in a yard, in the dark many hours later with absolutely no idea where he was! It turns out that this bus had been to Reading and back, passing the end of his road twice within metres of his front door, and unchecked parked up for the night. He had to scale a ten foot high fence onto a canal towpath with still no idea where in the country he was. Eventually he found a road sign and discovered he was in Acton in West London. He had to walk back to Paddington, wait for the first train and start the whole journey again, this time determined to stay awake. 
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:32:53 »

In my years of commuting I was relatively lucky, only once nodding off and not getting off at Tilehurst. Ended up at Choseley, so was on a train back within 15 minutes. A Polish friend was not so fortunate when she was visiting me; she fell asleep, so didn't change trains at Reading and ended up in Taunton
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 08:39:19 »

Oh, Mr Porter, what shall I do?
I want to go to Birmingham...
but they're taking me on to Crewe.
Take me back to London
as quickly as you can.
Oh, Mr Porter, what a silly *@!* I am!
George Le Brunn 1892
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 22:21:52 »

I've been overcarried a few times. I normally would have got off at West Drayton but often would doze off and end up at the next stop, Iver.
One Friday night, must have been about 1 or 2 am I got to Paddington and waited for a train home to West Drayton. I saw a lot of people standing next to a Thames turbo train on Platform 2 I think. The doors were closed, the engine was off. The departure boards on the concourse and platform were on but not showing the next departures. But I knew this had to be my train so I waited for the doors to open and when they did I got on. Watching the scenery go by I watched with horror as we sailed through Ealing Broadway. I knew then that we would not be stopping at Hayes or West Drayton so I would have to get off at Slough. Except we didn't stop at Slough either. Eventually we arrived at Reading where I discovered that this was a very late running Thames Trains service on behalf of Great Western to Bristol. It was running so late it had disappeared off the departure board! In those days Thames used to run an overnight hourly or thereabouts stopping service to Reading. Great Western Trains would not normally be running at that time.
I had a long wait for a train home.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 22:42:20 »

Oh, Mr Porter, what a silly *@!* I am!
George Le Brunn 1892

The word you "bleeped out" from the original song was "girl."

I'm not sure that's politically correct these days... Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: