Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:09:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Car parking at Tilehurst  (Read 15664 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:57:30 »

I had a leaflet from a political party on Monday announcing that more yellow lines would be painted down Overdown Road to deter rail commuters leaving their cars there all day. I walk and drive along that road now and then and have never noticed a problem, and it could be said that the odd parked car calms traffic. Time was when commuters could park in many side streets and on Oxford Road itself, but yellow lines have been gradually extended. It was certainly necessary at the bottom of Oak Tree Road, where a long line of cars reduced it to a single lane.

Now and then I have wondered how many commuters who drive to stations and don't live that locally opt for Tilehurst and Theale, rather than pay far more and suffer more congestion at Reading - where there's more  hassle getting on rush-hour trains. (Not a good idea the last three days, of course, with the disrupted services we're discussing elsewhere.)
janes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 14:27:53 »

Oak Tree Road is ridiculous! They have just a 1-hour period in the day where you can't park - which inexplicably is a different hour on each side of the road - which is obviously intended as pure pettiness and spite against us poor commuters who can't afford and/or can't get a space in the ridiculously small and overpriced station car park, because there is absolutely no other rational explanation for such an arbitrary restriction. The result is that (depending on when people arrive) some people park one side of the road and some on the other - and many ignore the restrictions altogether and park there anyway.

And now here they go again - they should be ENCOURAGING people to park in roads surrounding the station and use the train, not keep trying to stop it.

Fortunately you can still (for the moment anyway) park for free on Kentwood Hill and some of the surrounding roads if you are prepared to endure the occasional poison pen note on your windscreen from the NIMBYS.

And yes I find it totally incomprehensible why anyone would ever even consider paying the extortionate car park charges to park at Reading Station - if everyone boycotted that car park and used suburban stations or came in by bus they would have to reduce the charges. While there are still enough mugs/millionaires prepared to pay them there is absolutely no incentive for them to do so!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 18:13:51 »

Isn't it time someone considered one of those "self assembly " mechanno type car parks like the ones at Didcot and Wokingham for Tilehurst (and Theale- even Goring which fills up although I doubt that there is the space)?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 18:53:02 »

Before the council restricted commuter parking at the bottom of Oak Tree Road it was hazardous to other motorists and to residents trying to extract their cars from their drives through a narrow gap between two parked cars that blocked sight lines and into a road that was in effect a single lane with bi-directional traffic.

I saw several near-misses when a car followed another from Kentwood Hill into Oak Tree Road, only to find that the car in front had braked suddenly to allow an oncoming vehicle to pass a dozen parked cars. The second car would then brake suddenly, sometimes half-across Kentwood Hill and in front of a vehicle descending at speed.

The section of Carlisle Road next to Oxford Road once had commuters parked on both sides. With the bollards now inhibiting through traffic, it could be argued that all-day parking could be allowed on one side.

And Elsley Road (also with bollards discouraging through traffic) is wide enough to have parking on both sides, though I recall complaints that the garage next to the Roebuck was using it as a car park.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 21:47:49 »

Isn't it time someone considered one of those "self assembly " mechanno type car parks like the ones at Didcot and Wokingham for Tilehurst (and Theale- even Goring which fills up although I doubt that there is the space)?

NR» (Network Rail - home page) are trying to obtain the land beyond the current car park at Goring so that they can move their stuff further up, and add additional spaces at Goring - or something along those lines, was in the Goring Gap magazine this month, but I don't have it anymore. I think that land acquisition is tied to several others, so its probably all tied up in tape like usual.
janes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 14:55:25 »

Before the council restricted commuter parking at the bottom of Oak Tree Road it was hazardous to other motorists and to residents trying to extract their cars from their drives through a narrow gap between two parked cars that blocked sight lines and into a road that was in effect a single lane with bi-directional traffic.

I saw several near-misses when a car followed another from Kentwood Hill into Oak Tree Road, only to find that the car in front had braked suddenly to allow an oncoming vehicle to pass a dozen parked cars. The second car would then brake suddenly, sometimes half-across Kentwood Hill and in front of a vehicle descending at speed.

The section of Carlisle Road next to Oxford Road once had commuters parked on both sides. With the bollards now inhibiting through traffic, it could be argued that all-day parking could be allowed on one side.

And Elsley Road (also with bollards discouraging through traffic) is wide enough to have parking on both sides, though I recall complaints that the garage next to the Roebuck was using it as a car park.

My point about the restrictions on Oak Tree Road was referring to the totally ridiculous nature of them - either the road is safe to park on or it is not, period. It cannot possibly be unsafe to park there between 11-12am on one side of the road and between 12-1pm on the other side, but perfectly safe at all other times! Double yellow lines on the whole of one side, and unrestricted parking on the other with a few sections of double-yellows stuck in at sufficient intervals to provide safe passing places, or a blanket "30 mins only - no return within 1 Hour" restriction that did not specifically discriminate against commuters would not have aroused so much ire!

And yes Carlisle and Elesley Roads were exactly the places I meant - I really can't think of any rational reason at all why you are not allowed to park there, except for mindless adherence to some weird dogma mandating that "we have to stop people parking in roads near stations" without ever questioning why.

The problem is not just restricted to Tilehurst BTW (by the way) - the whole country has perfectly parkable-in roads within 500 yards of stations left empty all day due to double yellow lines or CPZ's that simply cannot be justified on the grounds of safety or preventing obstruction, but purely because the locals say they "don't want commuters parking here" (even if they have their own garages or driveways and don't actually want to be able to park there themselves).
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 15:43:02 »

My point about the restrictions on Oak Tree Road was referring to the totally ridiculous nature of them - either the road is safe to park on or it is not, period. It cannot possibly be unsafe to park there between 11-12am on one side of the road and between 12-1pm on the other side, but perfectly safe at all other times!

Parking restrictions aren't purely about safety. There is express DfT» (Department for Transport - about) guidance that they can be used for "tackling congestion and changing travel behaviour".
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 17:56:05 »

My point about the restrictions on Oak Tree Road was referring to the totally ridiculous nature of them - either the road is safe to park on or it is not, period. It cannot possibly be unsafe to park there between 11-12am on one side of the road and between 12-1pm on the other side, but perfectly safe at all other times! Double yellow lines on the whole of one side, and unrestricted parking on the other with a few sections of double-yellows stuck in at sufficient intervals to provide safe passing places, or a blanket "30 mins only - no return within 1 Hour" restriction that did not specifically discriminate against commuters would not have aroused so much ire!

I wonder if the Council sought a compromise between the sensitivities of the residents about commuter parking and their wishes to park outside their houses. With so many houses now having two or three car-owners, I wonder what they do with their vehicles up to 1500.

Incidentally, to depart from the theme of the last few posts, I and several of my neighbours treat the bend in Oak Tree Road with caution as the majority of drivers seem unable to keep to their sides of the white line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 17:59:15 »

My point about the restrictions on Oak Tree Road was referring to the totally ridiculous nature of them - either the road is safe to park on or it is not, period. It cannot possibly be unsafe to park there between 11-12am on one side of the road and between 12-1pm on the other side, but perfectly safe at all other times!

Parking restrictions aren't purely about safety. There is express DfT» (Department for Transport - about) guidance that they can be used for "tackling congestion and changing travel behaviour".

Indeed.   I was in a meeting yesterday and a topic that came up was a car park which, previously free, will become charging.  A desire for yellow lines on surrounding roads was raised - not because of any initial concern at the safety aspects, but rather ... well, I'm sure you can guess!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 19:37:05 »

It's a fairly clever way of ensuring that commuters don't clog up side streets adjacent to stations to save the parking cost, and thus preventing residents and visitors from parking. By alternating it means that residents can move their car during the day, whilst always having somewhere to park, and prevents commuters from using the space.  It's been used in places for over 20 years, and residents prefer it to a residents parking scheme which inevitably costs money to administer which of course falls on the residents.

And by barring commuter parking it helps safety, as often the roads do become completely clogged with parked cars. 

You may not like it, but I think it's reasonable to put in place measures to ensure that commuters use the car park provided for them and don't park locally to the detriment to the living conditions of residents.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 20:11:56 »

Indeed.   I was in a meeting yesterday and a topic that came up was a car park which, previously free, will become charging.  A desire for yellow lines on surrounding roads was raised - not because of any initial concern at the safety aspects, but rather ... well, I'm sure you can guess!

Cholsey APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) carpark will sting you £100 (reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days) if you forget to ticket or park outside of their marked bays - that includes the unmarked gap between the first bay and the council's double yellow lines on the highway which swing into the carpark (northern side of the lower carpark). This compares to £70 (reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days) if you just park on the yellow lines outside on the street.

There were two tickets issued today for parking in the blank zone.  This blank zone looks a bit dodgy - GWR please note, it is your managed station. A fancy lawyer I believe would have a field day. The bays were repainted after they faded to near-nothing (tickets still being issued) but then failed to add a 25m stretch of double yellow lines.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 20:22:49 by Oxonhutch » Logged
janes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 13:38:40 »

It's a fairly clever way of ensuring that commuters don't clog up side streets adjacent to stations to save the parking cost, and thus preventing residents and visitors from parking. By alternating it means that residents can move their car during the day, whilst always having somewhere to park, and prevents commuters from using the space.  It's been used in places for over 20 years, and residents prefer it to a residents parking scheme which inevitably costs money to administer which of course falls on the residents.

And by barring commuter parking it helps safety, as often the roads do become completely clogged with parked cars. 

You may not like it, but I think it's reasonable to put in place measures to ensure that commuters use the car park provided for them and don't park locally to the detriment to the living conditions of residents.

That argument can only be used when sufficient affordable station car parking is provided to meet the demand. In this case it is not. And as for the families with 2 or 3 cars - surely THAT is something that should in no way be condoned or facilitated by the Council. Especially when they live near stations! What should be happening under the heading of "changing travel behaviours" is encouraging as many people as possible to use public transport by complete deregulation of all parking in the vicinity of stations and radial bus routes (apart from where it genuinely does cause congestion or safety hazard, or prevent people parking near their homes or local shops, of course - the bar for proving those conditions should be set high) and making things hard for people with more than 2 vehicles in their household.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 17:49:15 »

In Oxfordshire the official criteria for review of waiting restrictions are: "when there are changes to the road layout or usage as a result of development and when requested by the local member or local councils due to concerns over parking obstructing traffic and/or being detrimental to road safety."

Within the last month additional restrictions have been approved to be put in place for a number of roads in the vicinity of Didcot Parkway arising from "long-standing dissatisfaction with antisocial commuter parking" and to "improve drivers’ sightlines by removing dangerous and obstructive parking, whilst also providing some residents, who have shared driveways, with some ‘on street’ overflow/visitor parking availability". The latter is achieved by a one hour restriction from noon until 1pm, and the former by double yellows.

On street parking enforcement in South Oxfordshire has been non-existent in recent years as it is still for the moment in the hands of Thames Valley Police who have considered it hitherto a low priority, although this is likely to change in the short term by the intervention of the Police and Crime Commissioner (*) and the medium term by it being taken over by SODC and possibly some Town Councils.

(*) it is election year ...

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 20:03:54 »

I would like to know how far away the cars parking on street near Tilehurst station have actually come. When I used to drive the Loddon Bridge park and ride in Reading, on frosty days you could tell many cars had come from just around the corner as they were still covered in frost. One little sports car in particular I recall arriving with just a small square of frost removed in front of the driver while the rest of the screen and side windows remained frost covered.

I passed Lewknor turn by the M40 the other day and decided I would have a look in the village to see if there was any evidence of the bridge where it's halt on the Watlington branch line was (there isn't, the main road now appears to be in it's place). Lewknor is a strange coach park and ride for the Oxford to London route. Along the main road by the motorway junction are parked cars legitimately parked everywhere in most cases and others wherever they can fit. The village, which is relatively nice is also littered with cars in a wherever they can fit manner. Now as much as these are public roads through this village, it didn't make it a pleasant place anymore and it occurred to me that a line has to be drawn somewhere as to what can be accommodated. It also occurred to me that if the Watlington branch was relaid as far as the M40/old A40 that there would be fair demand for Chiltern to run a train from there to Prince's Risborough to meet London trains.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 21:10:13 »

I passed Lewknor turn by the M40 the other day and decided I would have a look in the village to see if there was any evidence of the bridge where it's halt on the Watlington branch line was (there isn't, the main road now appears to be in it's place). Lewknor is a strange coach park and ride for the Oxford to London route. Along the main road by the motorway junction are parked cars legitimately parked everywhere in most cases and others wherever they can fit. The village, which is relatively nice is also littered with cars in a wherever they can fit manner. Now as much as these are public roads through this village, it didn't make it a pleasant place anymore and it occurred to me that a line has to be drawn somewhere as to what can be accommodated. It also occurred to me that if the Watlington branch was relaid as far as the M40/old A40 that there would be fair demand for Chiltern to run a train from there to Prince's Risborough to meet London trains.

The Lewknor bypass road is indeed on the old branch alignment - use the transparency sliding bar. M40 Trains, the precursor to Chiltern Railways proposed a commuter service in the 1990s - Evergreen 3 happened instead. One day, we might have a heritage railway running all the way from Aston Rowant to the Chiltern mainline at Princes Risborough.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: