Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 05:59:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The idea of going anywhere by train  (Read 1443 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 30, 2021, 16:41:19 »

From the Yorksire Post - this is the tickler on a premium article and I'm too much of a skinflint to pay for occasional regional reads out-of-area.  But it gets me thinking

The idea of going anywhere by train has left the station – David Behrens

The journey across the width of Britain is among the more pleasurable medium-distance adventures for a holiday weekend. The fellwalker Alfred Wainwright realised this in the 1970s when he created his coast-to-coast route from Robin Hood’s Bay in Yorkshire to St Bees in Cumbria, via the North York Moors, the Dales and the Lake District.

My initial thought - yes, the idea has left the station - but it's still possible to get to an awful lot of places (including a lot of awful places!) by train.  Ongoing bus connections reach many more places.  Indeed I have seven years of experience of this - from home here in Melksham to all sorts of spots, with the biggest problem being the connections.  From Burton-on-Trent to Belfast and Chippenham and from Waterbeach and Inverness to Melksham, I have had badly waymarked drags with heavy luggage across unfamiliar towns (OK - Chippenham and Melksham ARE familiar).  And then the hurdle of working out the fare.

So for the future - can the idea of going anywhere by public transport can arrive again at the station? Whether that's a bus or railway station. With Bus Back Bettern and Great British Railways we should have mechanisms to achieve the desirable goal.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 18:07:57 »

The headline is one of those sentences like 'I didn't say you should kill him' - you can completely change the meaning depending on which word you put the emphasis on. I'm not confident I know where Wainwright, or indeed Behrens, had it!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 19:48:28 »

I fear both of you will be losing a stripe - down from Leading Skinflint to Ordinary Skinflint. I mean, given that the full text is visible for a second or so before something intervenes to replace it with the subscription offer, it can't be hard far anyone to get at it. And given your professional backgrounds ...

His central point, though, is that most business travel (pick you own number) is going to stop, whether daily to work or for meetings. That removes not only the peak flows that have driven investment and paid the bills, but the whole concept of long-distance full-fare travel connecting cities. Leisure travel moved from trains to cars ages ago, and it's unlikely to come back in a big way as it needs flexibility (or places, number of people, stuff to carry, times). And of course there's the cost, too.

So the railway now is too big - it should be able to provide for demand without major investment. Some things, like the Transpennine bit, may still be needed to adapt the network to the less city-centric pattern of leisure travel. But I may have added a bit of extra logic to some of that!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 20:37:39 »

Got this much on the clipboard before the paywall kicked in:

It took Wainwright at least 12 days to go the whole hog. Had he chosen to go by rail instead, he’d have just about done it in one, but would have spent most of it in a bottleneck around Manchester. Instead of gazing up at Scafell Pike, he’d have peered through a dirty window and seen Warrington.

So the announcement this week that the railway which connects east with west will benefit from a £400m refit is not before time. Transpennine Express, the franchisee whose trains ply the line, has a truly dreadful record of reliability, for reasons sometimes outside its control, sometimes not. That’s academic now, though, because by the time the work is finished its name will have been consigned to railway history, in the same way as coal tenders and stale cheese sandwiches.

by Taboola
Sponsored Links
What Happens if You Do These 5 Exercises Every DayInformed Use
Foundation Repair Cost May Be More Affordable Than Ever In 2021, Check OptionsFoundation Leak Fix | Search Ads

Its successor will be one of a new breed of concessionaires licenced by a public operator to be called Great British Railways, and on Wednesday the Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps, was wheeled out before the Commons Transport Committee to explain.
Dr Richard Beeching looking at a map of the railways in the 1960s.
Dr Richard Beeching looking at a map of the railways in the 1960s.

Why ‘levelling up’ has no clear definition – Yorkshire Post Letters

He is so gung-ho about the new arrangements that he has allowed them to bear his name, along with that of Keith Williams, whose review of the current system formed their basis. Given the recent record of the railways in this country, this is a high-risk strategy; the only other surname synonymous with trains is Beeching, and that’s usually followed by the word ‘axe’. Will the Williams-Shapps Plan be another hostage to history, I wonder.

But the Minister is right to have identified the Transpennine route as overripe for improvement. With the Behrens family shortly to be placed at precisely opposite ends of it – Mrs B and I on the coast beyond Hull and our son in Liverpool – we ought to be pricing season tickets for weekend trips right now. But why would we, when it’s quicker and cheaper to drive?

The train from Liverpool to Hull takes an average of three-and-a-half hours and costs around £66 per passenger. The same journey on the M62 takes 75 minutes less – even allowing for the Manchester rush hour – and uses £20 worth of fuel, for a whole car full of people. And there’s no need for them to wear face masks.

It raises the question of whether Mr Shapps’ reforms have already been overtaken by circumstances, based as they were on projections of travelling patterns before we discovered that we no longer needed to travel anywhere, except for pleasure. Is an improved Transpennine route still necessary?

It is impossible to imagine an effective transport system without buses - Andrew Jones MP (Member of Parliament)

Given the state of the service at the moment, I would argue in the project’s favour, especially if it better serves the leisure and casual traveller. I’m not sure the same is true of the costly and hugely disruptive high-speed line – HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) – between North and South.

Both of these schemes were born of a perceived need before 2020 to connect our great cities. But do we still want to use Victorian technology to do that when Zoom, the communications medium of the 21st century, has done it for us? At a stroke, perhaps two-thirds of business transport has been rendered unnecessary.

If you want proof, look at any commuter station these days. Car parks that used to fill up by 7.30 in the morning now lie three-quarters empty all day. And while there may be a slow drift back, passenger levels are unlikely ever to match those of 18 months ago.

The Network Rail chairman, Sir Peter Hendy, half-grasped this new reality on Wednesday when he admitted to MPs that rail travel in the North was indeed Victorian. Exchanging money for a cardboard ticket was an anachronism, he said.

But it’s not just the tickets that are out of date; the whole concept of getting anywhere by rail has left the station – with Sir Peter back on the platform, watching it disappear into the distance.

There simply isn’t a compelling reason to use the train right now. Whether there will be again depends on how far down the line Mr Shapps is prepared to meet passengers half way. In the meantime, I think I’d rather follow Wainwright and walk across England to see my family.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 21:52:22 »

So for the future - can the idea of going anywhere by public transport can arrive again at the station? Whether that's a bus or railway station. With Bus Back Bettern and Great British Railways we should have mechanisms to achieve the desirable goal.

They don't make it easy right now, though. Having thought a nice bank holiday ride to Exmouth would entertain our current guests (daughter and two grandsons, plus A N Other x 2) I set about booking tickets. The idea is to send an advance party by rail, the rest of us, plus picnic, bucket, spade, newspaper and all the other paraphernalia deemed necessary for a trip to the seaside or unsupported crossing of Antarctica, following by road. There's a 1005 from Tiverton to Exeter St Davids, but I wasn't offered that by the website, just the 1030. That's a CrossCountry train, meaning I have to book seats, none of which are available. So I could try at the station tomorrow to see if it is possible to go on the Castle class to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) thence onward to EXM, but I think we will move straight to the backup plan of two cars. Plan C is probably stay home.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: