I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:26:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Greta Thunberg in Bristol: February 28, 2020
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday 28th February 2020 - Greta Thunberg in Bristol.  (Read 18636 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 11:46:26 »

I'm waiting to hear the call for the rejection of constantly, or at least frequently, upgraded new hand held mobile electronic devices by those who make up it's key market.
These are largely produced in countries using carbon heavy means and are made of rare and precious minerals and metals which themselves are mined in an ecologically destructive manner.

If you can fit all that onto a placard, come and join us on Friday!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 11:51:43 »

I am disappointed to report that I have no plans to be anywhere near Bristol next Friday so will miss out on this marvellous opportunity to indulge in some collective virtue signalling.

#MeToo. My wife hasn't told me what I'm doing that far ahead, and I could get the train up. If Emma Thompson's flying over to lend her support, I will definitely come, but I'll bet Wetherspoons will be rammed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 20:53:58 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 12:08:08 »

I'm waiting to hear the call for the rejection of constantly, or at least frequently, upgraded new hand held mobile electronic devices by those who make up it's key market.
These are largely produced in countries using carbon heavy means and are made of rare and precious minerals and metals which themselves are mined in an ecologically destructive manner.

If you can fit all that onto a placard, come and join us on Friday!

Oh drat and double drat..... I've already booked Friday to trawl Curry's and Carphone Warehouse for my new widescreen home cinema and 5G compatible toaster.  Angry
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:49 »

Agree, the materials contained in each device are fairly small, as are the carbon emissions from manufacture of each device. However the vast number of such items sold adds up to very considerable environmental harm.
I have only one mobile phone which I have no intention of replacing unless it ceases to function.
I have two laptop computers, both purchased second hand. No intention of replacing them unless no longer functional.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 13:29:54 »

I have only one mobile phone which I have no intention of replacing unless it ceases to function.
I have two laptop computers, both purchased second hand. No intention of replacing them unless no longer functional.

I have two laptops, one needing a new fan and the replacement being just slow, so I use the 12 year old desktop, rejuvenated by the addition of a solid state drive. I have a drawer full of defunct phones, waiting for them to get better.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 13:35:10 »

It'll never happen. It'd mean millenials would have to develop enough social skills to make conversation & develop relationships rather than living via social media and having access to it 24/7.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 15:40:03 »

...as well as many people born prior to the 'Millenial' tag.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 23:36:08 »

From First Bus Bristol - have your say

Greta Thunberg is coming to Bristol on Friday ! This is to take part in the climate change demonstration ! This will undoubtedly will mean that there will be a MASSIVE TURN OUT FOR THIS EVENT !!!!!!! The media will be all over it like a rash ! The crowds will be enormous ! The disruption to the city centre will be massive !!!! Please if you can find an alternative way to get in and out of Bristol then do so !

If not then please be patient with the public transport and the drivers that will be running late !!!! They won't have seen a break ! Their lunch or a toilet in hours !!!!!! Sky news ! BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news ! ITV news they will all be there to cover this event ! Greta Thunberg is the hip thing at the moment ! And she will have a massive impact on your travel plans ! SO PLAN AHEAD PEOPLE !!!!!
They say that!!!! Like it's something! SURPRISING!!!!!

(I'll be busy all morning but I might wander down about 2 and see if she's/anyone's still there.)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 23:45:43 »

Do explanation marks have an impact on climate change?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 07:57:54 »

I wish there  really were such things as explanation marks to make things clearer......as a rash of exclamation marks often only adds hype and confuses the issues!!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 08:51:19 »

Let's hope Greta isn't planning to travel by train through or from Norway, which contrary to the received wisdom on global warming is currently experiencing their highest snowfall totals for over 15 years.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 09:08:22 »

...contrary to the received wisdom on global warming is currently experiencing their highest snowfall totals for over 15 years.

It's not contrary to the received wisdom on global warming. Global warming science predicts extreme weather events, be they storms, rain, droughts of heavy snow.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 13:29:56 »

Let's hope Greta isn't planning to travel by train through or from Norway, which contrary to the received wisdom on global warming is currently experiencing their highest snowfall totals for over 15 years.

She isn't.  She was in Germany at the end of last week and over the weekend posted "Heading for the UK (United Kingdom)!".

Reducing carbon footprint is not only about travelling by more sustainable means - it's also about travelling less, joining journeys together where possible and taking careful decisions about "is my journey necessary"; I know we have some members here who will argue about the necessity of Greta's journey.  Paradoxcially, too much success in reducing travelling might reduce the need for rail enhancement, and a call for an extra carriage (or 10 carriages rather than 5) could be answered by "it's better for the environment for us to pack you in ..."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 14:26:18 »

It's not contrary to the received wisdom on global warming. Global warming science predicts extreme weather events, be they storms, rain, droughts of heavy snow.

In that case, I offer my humble apologies. I mistakenly considered it to be "Climate Change" that is the undeniable science which explains and predicts the extreme weather conditions currently being experienced, which is why I specifically avoided using the term in this instance. It's painfully obvious that the climate is changing, and not for the better. I thought "Global Warming" was more of a perception than a science. However, I'm happy to stand corrected and can only apologise. Either way, the snowfall in Norway is causing huge disruption to the railways there, which is hopefully an observation worth making in itself on a transport forum.
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 19:33:13 »

What route is she following to get to Bristol from Sweden by train? Is split ticketing available?

Yes. Split at Didcøt.
Following her recent adventures on an ICE, no doubt she will enjoy a short-formed class 800. On the plus side, it's likely that there will be no environmentally polluting trolley. Has anyone told her that it might run on dirty diesel for some of the way?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: