Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:10:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Greta Thunberg in Bristol: February 28, 2020
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday 28th February 2020 - Greta Thunberg in Bristol.  (Read 18631 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 20:22:04 »

...contrary to the received wisdom on global warming is currently experiencing their highest snowfall totals for over 15 years.

It's not contrary to the received wisdom on global warming. Global warming science predicts extreme weather events, be they storms, rain, droughts of heavy snow.

Indeed, a generally warming climate results in greater evaporation of water from both land and sea. This increased evaporation must eventually fall back to earth as precipitation, mainly rain or snow.(and lesser amounts of hail, freezing rain, sleet and other precipitation)
In places too mild for snow, such as most of the southern UK (United Kingdom), increased rainfall results.
In places that were formerly only just cold enough for snow, rain tends to replace snow as the temperature is now to high for snow.
In places that are well below zero, increased snow results. The temperature in such as place might have increased from say minus 10 degrees, to minus 8 degrees. Minus 8 is still plenty cold enough for snow, of which heavier falls are likely due the increased evaporation.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 20:59:16 »

This increased evaporation must eventually fall back to earth as precipitation, mainly rain or snow.(and lesser amounts of hail, freezing rain, sleet and other precipitation)
In places too mild for snow, such as most of the southern UK (United Kingdom), increased rainfall results.
In places that were formerly only just cold enough for snow, rain tends to replace snow as the temperature is now to high for snow.
In places that are well below zero, increased snow results. The temperature in such as place might have increased from say minus 10 degrees, to minus 8 degrees. Minus 8 is still plenty cold enough for snow, of which heavier falls are likely due the increased evaporation.

In the West of the country, it will be mild, bringing rain with occasional drizzle, becoming wet later.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:13 »

It's not contrary to the received wisdom on global warming. Global warming science predicts extreme weather events, be they storms, rain, droughts of heavy snow.

In that case, I offer my humble apologies. I mistakenly considered it to be "Climate Change" that is the undeniable science which explains and predicts the extreme weather conditions currently being experienced, which is why I specifically avoided using the term in this instance. It's painfully obvious that the climate is changing, and not for the better. I thought "Global Warming" was more of a perception than a science. However, I'm happy to stand corrected and can only apologise. Either way, the snowfall in Norway is causing huge disruption to the railways there, which is hopefully an observation worth making in itself on a transport forum.

According to NASA, global warming is the driver and climate change is the effect. Global warming certainly isn't just a perception; it is the measurable yearly increase in mean temperatures.

I note that some prefer the term 'climate breakdown', which does perhaps convey the urgency of action a little more assertively.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2020, 20:00:39 »

updated from Avon and Somerset Police and Bristol Council

Statement from Mike Jackson, Bristol City Council Executive Director and Supt. Andy Bennett, Bristol Police Commander

Bristol City Council and the Avon and Somerset Police are working together to manage public safety and minimise disruption to the city during the Youth Strike 4 Climate protest which will be attended by climate activist Greta Thunberg on Friday 28 February.

From the information we know about the event, we know there will be major disruption to the city on Friday. We have seen a number of protests over the last year however this one will be significantly larger so we want to ensure that anyone planning to attend is prepared and able to make their own safety and safeguarding arrangements. Parents are responsible for their children. The council and police are not responsible for unsupervised children.

Bristol City Council and the Avon and Somerset Police are unable to accurately predict how large this event will be however we have confirmation of people travelling from across the UK (United Kingdom) to attend.

The event has grown so large that the usual controls, stewarding and safety measures that are routinely put in place by the teenage Youth Strike 4 Climate organisers may not be adequate, especially for primary school children and people with disabilities.

We would therefore encourage those attending, or who are responsible for children who wish to attend, to consider their arrangements carefully and make their own informed decisions.

The council will be closing some roads to minimise risk of harm to road users, pedestrians and protestors. The organisers have been unable to clarify full details of timings and routes, so we cannot at present give final details of road closures. Please look out for further communications.

In terms of big crowds, there is the potential for trips, slips, falls and crushing.  People can easily be separated from their friends and family.  Mobile phone signals can be intermittent due to saturation on the communications masts. It is also unlikely people will be able to leave the area quickly, and access to toilets and water will be very limited. There will also be delays to public transport.

Please do not underestimate the scale of this protest.

We’re working to ensure Bristol is open as usual, but would urge people to allow extra time for travel and consider whether their journey is necessary.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 20:20:55 »

Between this and the possibility of someone foreign -looking sneezing, it should be quite a day. I can help the police with advice on one aspect:

Unaccompanied children of primary school age will be given a double espresso with lots of sugar, and promised a puppy.

From a restaurant on Exmoor, no doubt elsewhere too.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 20:45:03 »

From a restaurant on Exmoor, no doubt elsewhere too.

I first saw it at Harper's Ferry.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 21:09:35 »

Sounds like it's going to present a risk to the wellbeing of those present & anyone who gets caught up in it.....

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-02-26/police-in-bristol-can-t-guarantee-adequate-safety-measures-at-greta-thunberg-youth-climate-protest/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2020, 17:34:52 »

Sounds like it's going to present a risk to the wellbeing of those present & anyone who gets caught up in it.....

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-02-26/police-in-bristol-can-t-guarantee-adequate-safety-measures-at-greta-thunberg-youth-climate-protest/

...a bit like climate change then! Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 21:03:30 »

Nah - just a disclaimer for when someone falls in the docks and tries to blame the police for not stopping them.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 12:36:52 »

Nah - just a disclaimer for when someone falls in the docks and tries to blame the police for not stopping them.

Perhaps the floor in the courtrooms shouldn't be so slippy…. oh not those docks.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2020, 17:51:08 »

I've just put my £10 in the crowdfunder to #TurnCollegeGreenGreenAgain

https://www.gofundme.com/f/repair-college-green-after-the-youth-strike

...and we didn't even walk on the grass!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2020, 18:02:55 »

I've just put my £10 in the crowdfunder to #TurnCollegeGreenGreenAgain

https://www.gofundme.com/f/repair-college-green-after-the-youth-strike

...and we didn't even walk on the grass!

Very public spirited of you.

Always upsetting to see harm caused to the environment, I'm sure Greta will scold all concerned.

Fortunately the smaller than expected turnout mitigated the risks the Police highlighted - these kids may care passionately about the environment, but their commitment is much greater when the sun is shining!  Cheesy
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 18:09:54 »

Work commitments meant I didn't see Gretal but I did get to stroll around the centre (including the Centre) without traffic, which was a really nice experience.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 18:50:19 »

Work commitments meant I didn't see Gretal but I did get to stroll around the centre (including the Centre) without traffic, which was a really nice experience.

You will see better on TV than I saw there in person - but very, VERY glad I was there.   Full writeup overnight.  I probably walked further today, and got wetter today, than I have in years.   Now dry, but sleeping soon.

Greta is the one in yellow behind the flagpole!

Fortunately the smaller than expected turnout mitigated the risks the Police highlighted - these kids may care passionately about the environment, but their commitment is much greater when the sun is shining!  Cheesy

I'm not sure what the expectation was ... but the crowd struck me as very large indeed, polite, caring to the cause, committed and law abiding.  Hard to tell under all the that rain gear, of course.  Perhaps the rain had thinned it down to the committed - but make no mistake, there were a lot of people. And a lot of caring.

I question whether the myths were mitigated by the crowd size, or by the crowd being composed of human beings who really care for the future - perhaps not full in line with all our members, but caring.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 20:50:55 by grahame » Logged

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 20:01:08 »

Had the sun been shining, the crowd would probably been bigger but the ground a little less churned up. The standard moan is "Ooos gonna pay to sort out the mess?" which draws the standard riposte of "If you think that's a mess, wait until it's under ten foot of water with dead polar bears floating past". My own lawn recovered in a couple of years after my daughter's 15th birthday party, and I heard from a formerly leading councillor that it would grow again, no problem. I have my doubts, and am grateful to Red Squirrel for his principled action, and hope it was also followed by many others.

I loved the token solar panel, placed more in hope than earnest expectation.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: