Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:51:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More seats for 3 years, but then fewer - Welsh Valley Trains.  (Read 4847 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 23, 2020, 07:03:12 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) a couple or weeks back - I missed this one.

Transport for Wales (TfW) has said it is looking at options for seating on one line after concerns new trains would cut capacity.

It plans to use larger, refurbished trains on the Rhymney line in 2020, followed by brand new ones in 2023.
But figures suggest services run by the new trains will have less capacity than the refurbished ones, and in some cases even less than current trains.

TfW said it was "constantly" reviewing its plans.

It plans to temporarily replace the current Pacer trains on the line with refurbished Class 769 trains.

The figures, obtained through a Freedom of Information request, show a large increase in seating on services with the Class 769 trains, only for that to go down again on the Rhymney line's Bargoed and Penarth routes when the new Stadler Flirt trains arrive.

James Price, the chief executive of TfW, has told Assembly Members it was working to ensure there was no drop off in seats once the new trains are introduced.

Shock, horror  Grin

Listening to Professor Stuart Cole talking at the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) AGM (Annual General Meeting), replacement trains may have fewer seats but they will have a lot more comfortable standing space, giving a greater overall passenger capacity.   And much of the overcrowding issues are from the final few stops into Cardiff - with everyone making the journey inbound from north of Pontypridd able to have a seat all the way if they want.  Of course, that does not mean they will get an outbound seat all the way - they may have to stand from the inner city into the early 'burbs.

But wait a minute ... 2023 also brings a more frequent service ... and seats-per-hour is the measure to look at rather than seats-per-train, surely?   From Prof. Cole's presentation, trains per hour now and in the future:

Edit: Prof Cole's original slide, with permission - RS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 19:45:27 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:14:41 »

At the current rate of progress they look likely to miss the class 769 era entirely.

What is proposed to happen to them in 2023, by which time the basic stock from they are being converted will be 35 years old? How can a ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) justify the cost of conversion for a 2 to 3 year lease income?  Or will a lot of trains currently run on second generation diesel stock be run on expensively converted but older diesel electric stock with redundant OHL (Over-Head Line) equipment?
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:38:12 »

They've shot themselves in the foot by bringing in (if they ever arrive) the Class 369s with 5 abreast seating, so there is a big short term increase in seating capacity (but I'm guessing much less standing room), which is then reversed when the new trains come in.

I did read elsewhere though that their assumption for standing space is that you can cram many more people in per square metre than other operators use. So their figures for overall capacity are somewhat inflated.

I wonder how Professor Cole's presentation went down at FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site). I'm guessing that those on the Severn Beach line (let alone at Melksham) would be very happy to have 4 or 6 or 12 trains an hour, so any complaints from welsh users about capacity must appear somewhat niggardly in comparison.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:52:47 »

I wonder how Professor Cole's presentation went down at FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site). I'm guessing that those on the Severn Beach line (let alone at Melksham) would be very happy to have 4 or 6 or 12 trains an hour, so any complaints from welsh users about capacity must appear somewhat niggardly in comparison.

I was there. "Very well received" I would say - an excellent presentation which left me feeling that I would find it really interesting to see a similar presentation for Bristol.  The slide I have shown was but one element from a much wider ranging review of what people come into Cardiff for, where they come from and how, and how they interchange.  Comparing and contrasting the various directions, why they are as they are, and what the plans are for them.

An absence of regular users of the Valley Lines commuter services from the talk (it was, after all, to a Bristol group) meant there was little or no first hand experience of their overcrowding of concerns at lack of future seats.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 11:05:35 »

I'm guessing that those on the Severn Beach line (let alone at Melksham) would be very happy to have 4 or 6 or 12 trains an hour, so any complaints from welsh users about capacity must appear somewhat niggardly in comparison.

Oh for even 3 trains per hour on the Severn Beach line! I'll be cracking open the fizzy stuff when (if?) that day arrives.

Edit: Even 2 TPH (trains per hour) would warrant raising a glass!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 19:50:19 »

Edit: Even 2 TPH (trains per hour) would warrant raising a glass!

In all this world, why I do think,
There are five reasons why we drink:
Good friends, good wine, lest we be dry;
Or lest we should be, by and by;
Or any other reason why.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 16:38:11 »

Edit: Prof Cole's original slide, with permission - RS
I'm not sure how a 4tph Rhymney Valley service is meant to flow into a 5tph Barry one at Central. It's bound to look something like:
arr xx00, dep xx02
starts here, dep xx14
arr xx15, dep xx26
arr xx30, dep xx38
arr xx45, dep xx50

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 19:03:00 »

I'm not sure how a 4tph Rhymney Valley service is meant to flow into a 5tph Barry one at Central. It's bound to look something like:

With the benefit of hearing the slide described in the meeting ...

10 trains an hour arriving Queens Street via Cathays
8 trains an hour arriving Queens Street via Heath
=== 18 trains at Queens Street each way ===
6 of those trains on to Cardiff Bay and so ...
=== 12 trains an hour into Central
2 trains onwards to Radyr via the City Line (and on to Aberdare?)
2 trains onwards to Bridgend via Barry Town
3 trains onwards to Barry Island via Barry Town
4 trains onwards to Penarth
which means I have lost one train / turn around at Central??

So for Central ... (one platform, train there for three minutes, next in 2 minutes behind)
Every 5 minutes, alternate trains arriving from Cathays and Heath - 10 minute service from each of those lines
:02 and :32 arrival from Coryton
:07 and :37 from Treherbert
:12 and :42 from Rhymney
:17 and :47 from Aberdare
:22 and :52 from Caerphilly
:27 and :57 from Merthyr Tydfil

:00 :15 :30 :45 on to Penarth
:05 and :35 on to Radyr (and Aberdare?)
Three of :10, :25, :40 and :55 on to Barry Island
:20 and :50 on to Bridgend

And arrivals into Cardiff Bay (10 minute service), roughly
:02 and :32 from Rhymney
:12 and :42 from Merthyr Tydfil
:22 and :52 from Treherbert

I will refrain from fine timing over junctions and looking at where parallel moves can be made!

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:41:10 »

I don't think Rhymney trains will go the Bay, as only trams will go down there, and the Rhymney Line trains will be fully bogged heavy trains.  It would make sense for all 4 Rhymney services to go to Penarth, as they are both a quarter hourly service.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: