Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:46:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystal ball - will coronavirus effect our travel (public and private)?  (Read 19063 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 11:01:34 »

Sensible in my view, toilet paper shortages are entirely possible due to sickness in the supply chain. Food and water are higher priorities, but toilet paper is also important.
I buy it in bulk, and order more when existing stocks are down to less than 100 rolls.
My present stock is about 200 rolls. No panic here.
So you keep several jerry cans of fuel in the event of a sudden fuel crisis, and a store of 100+ loo rolls, and heaven knows what else.  I have to ask, are you disappointed each day when the apocalypse doesn't arrive and you can smugly be the only person that has prepared for it?

I keep a reasonable reserve of many supplies for use in the event of any emergency, including but not limited too, extreme weather, industrial disputes, utility breakdown or failure, civil disorder, a 1929 type financial crash, terrorist attack, war.

Non perishable foods including dried pasta, canned goods, and 25 year shelf life doomfood.
Bottled water, chlorine tablets for disinfecting rainwater.
A few tons of logs, and a reserve of anthracite*.
A few cylinders of propane*. LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) boiling ring and LPG heater.
Batteries.
Paraffin*.
Candles*.
A reserve stock of clothes and bedding, beyond those items in regular use.
Defensive equipment.

As society becomes more vulnerable to out of course events, and more reliant on IT, which in turn relies on electricity, it is prudent to be prepared.

*I avoid use of these fossil fuels whilst times are normal, but consider a stock to be prudent.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 11:20:22 »

Sensible in my view, toilet paper shortages are entirely possible due to sickness in the supply chain. Food and water are higher priorities, but toilet paper is also important.
I buy it in bulk, and order more when existing stocks are down to less than 100 rolls.
My present stock is about 200 rolls. No panic here.
So you keep several jerry cans of fuel in the event of a sudden fuel crisis, and a store of 100+ loo rolls, and heaven knows what else.  I have to ask, are you disappointed each day when the apocalypse doesn't arrive and you can smugly be the only person that has prepared for it?

I keep a reasonable reserve of many supplies for use in the event of any emergency, including but not limited too, extreme weather, industrial disputes, utility breakdown or failure, civil disorder, a 1929 type financial crash, terrorist attack, war.

Non perishable foods including dried pasta, canned goods, and 25 year shelf life doomfood.
Bottled water, chlorine tablets for disinfecting rainwater.
A few tons of logs, and a reserve of anthracite*.
A few cylinders of propane*. LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) boiling ring and LPG heater.
Batteries.
Paraffin*.
Candles*.
A reserve stock of clothes and bedding, beyond those items in regular use.
Defensive equipment.

As society becomes more vulnerable to out of course events, and more reliant on IT, which in turn relies on electricity, it is prudent to be prepared.

*I avoid use of these fossil fuels whilst times are normal, but consider a stock to be prudent.

I'm curious about your 'defensive equipment'?!  Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 11:38:46 »

Details of defensive arrangements are not posted on a public forum.
Details of a modest and entirely legal petrol supply provoked enough concern.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:37 »

Speaking from a personal perspective, and in response to the question posed by the OP (Original Poster / topic starter), I would say 'No' unless intervention from one or more governments necessitates it.

We are booked to travel, starting next Thursday 12th March, to both Italy & Portugal using a mixture of train & plane. This trip was booked 6 months ago and, as things stand no travel or accommodation refunds are available. I have heard nothing on the news bulletins which would cause me to consider changing the schedule.

There was a fascinating interview on LBC yesterday with a microbiologist; I reckon a lot of people regard COVID-19 as something new and very dangerous. This is not so. SARS & MERS were both caused by varieties of the Corona virus and there is also another one doing the rounds which hasn't (yet) produced a specifically named infection. It seems that a significant number of people hit by COVID-19 exhibit no or very mild symptoms. 

I would just echo the (potentially famous last) words of Corporal Jones.   
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:06 »

The present death toll from the virus is less than those killed on the roads.
This should not lead to complacency though. There is no reason to fear a large and sudden increase in road fatalities, but the coronavirus does have the potential for much wider spread and significant mortality.

Part of the problem is that many people "cant do numbers" and would be reassured by a death rate of "under 1%" but be horrified by a death toll of "nearly half a million" and are unable to grasp that both could be true.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 13:14:07 »

I do find it interesting that those who do stockpile for ‘just in case’ threats to their life or way of life often don’t ensure they also control things that are much more likely to cause their early demise or help to ensure a comfortable life.  A balanced diet, regular exercise, not drinking, smoking and taking drugs and properly controlling weight for example.

That’s by no means meant as a personal dig at Broadgage, just an observation (though he’s admitted to not being in pristine shape a few times) and I don’t claim to look after myself as well as I should.  Mind you, I don’t stockpile hundreds of bog rolls!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 13:48:48 »

The irony is that when people stockpile hand sanitizers, they are stopping loads of other people from using them which ends up exposing the very people doing the stock-piling to more risk.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 14:24:29 »

The irony is that when people stockpile hand sanitizers, they are stopping loads of other people from using them which ends up exposing the very people doing the stock-piling to more risk.

It depends upon WHEN the stockpiling was done.
To buy extra supplies at the last minute is anti-social as others are thereby deprived. I avoid doing this.
To stock up in good time hurts no one else and simply provides a little welcome extra trade for the supplier.
I purchased a bulk stock of isopropyl alcohol some years ago, it keeps almost indefinitely. It should be diluted 70/30 with water for use as a hand and surface sanitiser.
Washing hands with soap and warm water is good, for this reason I have several means of heating water, loads of soap, a case of disposable hand towels, and a dozen or so spare re-useable towels. All obtained years ago, not during any panic and not depriving anyone else.

Likewise if power cuts become a regular feature, panic buying of candles is likely. I have hundreds of candles purchased years ago, no one else was thus deprived.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 14:33:29 »

I do find it interesting that those who do stockpile for ‘just in case’ threats to their life or way of life often don’t ensure they also control things that are much more likely to cause their early demise or help to ensure a comfortable life.  A balanced diet, regular exercise, not drinking, smoking and taking drugs and properly controlling weight for example.

That’s by no means meant as a personal dig at Broadgage, just an observation (though he’s admitted to not being in pristine shape a few times) and I don’t claim to look after myself as well as I should.  Mind you, I don’t stockpile hundreds of bog rolls!  Wink

I Don't smoke.
Drink only in moderation.
Fairly balanced diet.
Don't take illegal drugs.

Lacking regular exercise.
Weight is excessive.
Eyesight and hearing not as they used to be.
If I was an orse, they would shoot me.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 14:57:09 »

O, to be back in Japan...

I would just echo the (potentially famous last) words of Corporal Jones.   

"We're all doomed!" (Or was the other fellow?)

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 16:02:09 »

Shelves completely bare in Morrisons Wincanton. But, I got down on my hands and knees and checked on the floor underneath. Found a bottle of antibacterial hand wash (Strawberry scented, but only £1) and a small bottle of Carex antibac hand gel. The later was a discontinued item that I got for 50p!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 16:40:02 »

From Vogue - though I'm sure you all read this magazine anyway before you visit the Coffee Shop  Cheesy

How To Commute In The Coronavirus Crisis

Kicking off a game of word association with “commute” would likely only ever have elicited negative responses – even before we all learned another word: coronavirus. Now, with 94,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 around the world, a figure that is set to rise, the journey that bookends our working days feels fraught with health risks. For the benefit of the some 27 million workers across the UK (United Kingdom) using trains and buses daily, here are five, expert-approved tips for navigating your commute in the crisis.

((article continues with the tips))

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 17:17:11 »

Shelves completely bare in Morrisons Wincanton. But, I got down on my hands and knees and checked on the floor underneath. Found a bottle of antibacterial hand wash (Strawberry scented, but only £1) and a small bottle of Carex antibac hand gel. The later was a discontinued item that I got for 50p!

Ditto Waitrose in Wellibob.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2020, 18:07:48 »

For those who can't get hold of hand sanitizer/gel.

Get yourself one of those small clear travel atomisers. Fill it with 50ml of cheap vodka, and some drops of skin safe essential oil. Tea tree and/or lavender work best as they contain antibacterial qualities.

Don't go mad spraying it on your hands. A little is all that's needed. Take care if you work in a safety critical job with random alcohol testing. The odd spray shouldn't affect blood alcohol levels. No more so than using alcohol based mouthwash.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 18:36:24 »

In railway employment, I suspect that CARRYING vodka would be looked at with very considerable disfavour. Even if it was for hygiene purposes rather than for drinking.
Non potable alcohol would be better. Isopropyl alcohol is non potable and still readily available, not certain if use of same could give a "false positive" on a railway alcohol test.

Alcohol based hand sanitisers usually contain about 70% alcohol, popular brands of vodka are 37.5% or 40% and may therefore be less effective.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: